Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Zalman Heatsink, AMD XP

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally posted by BoostdCTD
Jim, have you checked to make sure the prices are competitive? I have yet to find a local place who has even halfway reasonble prices. For just about anything it'd be cheaper for me to overnight it than to buy it locally. www.pricewatch.com is probably the best way to check prices, normally newegg is quite competitive as well.
No, I know that the prices at Fry's are a bit on the high side compared to mail order but they have everything NOW and I don't have to wait. Also the Performance Guarntee cannot be beat, things are usually just replaced No questions asked. I get most of the parts I need for work there as I need to have a stock of most things computer and network related. Usually have: 24 port switches. routers, print servers and always a lot of Cat-5 cable on hand as I usually get called about 10:00 P.M. because some system went down or I have to cable a new office, medical building. I generally work at night when nobody is there. After my last accident when I broke my back, I do not do much laying down and only sleep from exhaustion. Another thing about Fry's is they close at 9:00 P.M. and you can still walk in at 20 after and get what you want. They actually expect to see me every few days. Guess I really don't have a life.
Another nice part to my job, is I usually end up with a new computer about every 6 months. Love working for doctors cause they know nothing about electronics.
I always seem to operate on a military mentality, everything is OVERKILL
Old 02-08-2005, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That surely sounds like a nice perk to the job.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One guy I used to work for always said that Fry's was a ripoff. Something about 50% of their products being returned or defective goods. Don't know if there's any truth to it, but he was in that whole networking buisness thing... I never had anything die from there.

It was probably just an excuse for his crudey computers breaking down.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A company can only screw a person once and they'd never come back again, if that were true.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:03 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Fry's

Originally posted by Begle1
One guy I used to work for always said that Fry's was a ripoff. Something about 50% of their products being returned or defective goods. Don't know if there's any truth to it, but he was in that whole networking buisness thing... I never had anything die from there.

It was probably just an excuse for his crudey computers breaking down.
That is sort of true you need to pay attention to what you buy because of the very liberal return policy alot of people who have no GOD given right to touch anything let alone turn on a light switch will try to build a computer, heck you can get a motherboard and CPU for $100.00 will try and then will return the parts. They haven't a clue what ESD means or that if you touch anything on the board it can be instantly destroyed. (I wear a ESD grounding strap always.)
The trick when you buy parts is don't buy anything that has been marked down for they are the returned items. I have gotten some bad parts but they usually have been the latter although my body had a high electrical charge and I have to be careful. I can run my finger around the screen of a CRT and the colors will shift. Just watch what you get, I only buy the HIGH end and never have a problem, cooking my last CPU just happens. I find from experence what works and is STABLE. I used to go to the Computer Fair and the Fairgrounds and had to go both days, bought the parts on the first and had to track the vendor down on the second to return it. It was a real joke.. Never again.
I also never will buy anything from Comp USA their customer service stinks, with Best Buy running second. I just had a run it with them today trying to return my I-Paq because the charger burned out. I have replacement warranties on everything and they want to exchange it with a cheaper modle, he said they were too expensive so we dont have them anymore. Want to exchange $700.00 unit with a $399.99 unit and thought I would be happy.
The prices are really the same as everybody else because they have price match.
This is just my experence.. Later Jim.