Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Zalman Heatsink, AMD XP

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Zalman Heatsink, AMD XP

Well as many of you know AMDs are like little space heaters, once they get hot enough they self destruct and take out the motherboard at the sametime. So cooling the CPU is a must, but the question is how. Well I started off with a $7 heatsink / fan, but it started making noises a couple years into the job. So I researched heatsink setups and heard the ThermalTake Volcano 9 was pretty good, so I swapped that in. It was alright at first but it seemed to take an awful lot of fan to keep the temperatures down. Once the fan was going it was REAL loud, so I finally had enough. I bought a Zalman 6000 Copper heatsink with a 92mm fan and just swapped it in, all I can say is WOW. With the fan at the slowest setting, where it can barely be heard, it cools better than the Volcano did at 3600rpms. (Both heat sinks were treated with Artic Silver 5 and both were polished.) Even though it cost twice as much, it was well worth it.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:01 PM

Im curious what the cost is...???
Old 02-06-2005, 10:07 PM

Seems like it was right around $50 with shipping. I got it from www.newegg.com another good place to check prices on electronics is www.pricewatch.com though.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zalman isn't exactly known for being top-of-the-line, even. That designation goes to Swiftech and ThermalRight. Strap a Delta EHE on one of those critters, and you got a system that will dim the lights as well as do just as good (if not better) than a cheap water cooling system. (However, it also helps to have some good speakers, becuase there WILL be a 80 dB drone in your room.)

My buddy's got one of those compression coolers on his rig. Lucky bastard. He overclocked his Athlon 64 1.5X it's stock speed with no slow down.

Then again, my STOCK heatsink with a few hundred non-focused CFM overclocked my 3.06 GHz P4 up to it's maximum level with no slowdown. (3.6 GHz)

However, do NOT overclock a stock videocard. They come from the factory optimized as close as you want them. I blew out a $400 Radeon 9700 Wll-In-Wonder PRO that way. I figured that with extra airflow I could get a little juice. NOPE. Put a water block or small Swiftech on that GPU or you can just save time and take your money to the petting zoo and feed it to some goats.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:25 PM

What would you guess the sound/ price of those are? The Zalman costed about $50 and is probably about 20db. At the moment my Maxtor 5400 is loudered than my cpu fan, soon I'll swap in my Samsung Spinpoint though.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:30 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
How about a water cooler with CTD to drive the pump?

My biggest problem is finding a fan with decent bearings in it that won't wear out and start growling in 6 months.

Edwin
Old 02-06-2005, 10:51 PM

thanks guys....running a Athlon 64 and havent had any heat problems yet...
Old 02-06-2005, 11:43 PM

The heat was never a huge concern of mine but the noise became unbearable after setting here for an hour or two. It got to the point where I'd put in ear plugs and turn the radio up real loud. I could hear it through the floor into the next level, and from all the rooms on this side of the house.

And as for bearings, don't get sleeve bearings get ball bearings. Most of this have at least 40k hours rating.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:50 PM

hmm....mines the quietest machine Ive ever owned...and Ive got 4or 5 fans.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Talking Stuck Thermostat?

I just lost my computer to overheating on Saturday, for the last few days it had been getting unstable. It was a Intel Pentium-4 3.0 Ghz 800FSB on a Intel motherboard it got so everytime I would come home it had been rebooted and I kept wondering who did it. It is a server so it never shuts down, it runs 24/7. Well something went nuclear in the CPU and finally took it out because I have a Corsair Hydro Cool with modified 1/2 tubing to the water block and it still burned. The memory on the temprature says it hit *248 F. then it workie no more, the fans never went down so it must have been cookin. When I pulled it out of the case it was hard to remove the water block from the CPU and the plastic retainer bracket that would hold the fan was melted and all droopy looking. I gathered up my warranty papers and headed to Fry's for a replacement. I told them it got hot and showed them the pictures of the temp. display and they said "well if it could ever happen it would happen to you" They only say that because since 1999 I totaled 1 truck, broke my back, broke my wrist, had 3 more serious accidents, got robbed and shot in the back. None of the accidents were my fault. (I spend around $300.00 week there for my toys and for work.) Of course since technology changes every 4 months on computers and it was a year old it was time to upgrade. They gave me $980.00 credit on the 2 parts and I bought a NEW one. I got the Intel D925XCV motherboard, Intel LGA775 3.8 Ghz processor, 4 gig's DDR2 ram and of course my old ATI All in Wonder Pro wouldnt work, I got the ATI All IN Wonder X600. So I walked out the door around $1600.00 minus the $980.00 credit and also a 3 year instant exchange on the new parts. Took it home and put it back togather but had to reconfigure my boot drive and raid array. Had it back up and running in about 3 hours. Spent the next 4 hours reinstalling the drivers and software. Made a bracket to adapt the water block onto the LGA775 since they don't make one yet and set up the case fans. I also need a water block for the video card. Man this is nice, It runs at a cool *82F.
This has onboard 7 channel audio and Gigabit LAN. The rest of the system consist of 200 GB SATA boot drive, 2-250 GB data drives, 2-200 GB Raid Array, 20" Sony LCD monitor, new illuminated keyboard you can see at night. DSL networked. 4000watt industrial UPS with 500 amp battery pack.
Later Jim.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:33 AM

BoostdCTD
I have an Athlon 64 paired with a Thermalright XP120 cooler and a Vantec Stealth 120mm Fan. The sound is remarkably low, and I do not have to worry about overheating (CPU temp stays at 37 C pretty much always). Not cheap at around $75 total, but worth it to me anyway.
Mishkaya
Old 02-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Stuck Thermostat?

Originally posted by Jim Lane
I just lost my computer to overheating on Saturday, for the last few days it had been getting unstable. It was a Intel Pentium-4 3.0 Ghz 800FSB on a Intel motherboard it got so everytime I would come home it had been rebooted and I kept wondering who did it. It is a server so it never shuts down, it runs 24/7. Well something went nuclear in the CPU and finally took it out because I have a Corsair Hydro Cool with modified 1/2 tubing to the water block and it still burned. The memory on the temprature says it hit *248 F. then it workie no more, the fans never went down so it must have been cookin. When I pulled it out of the case it was hard to remove the water block from the CPU and the plastic retainer bracket that would hold the fan was melted and all droopy looking. I gathered up my warranty papers and headed to Fry's for a replacement. I told them it got hot and showed them the pictures of the temp. display and they said "well if it could ever happen it would happen to you" They only say that because since 1999 I totaled 1 truck, broke my back, broke my wrist, had 3 more serious accidents, got robbed and shot in the back. None of the accidents were my fault. (I spend around $300.00 week there for my toys and for work.) Of course since technology changes every 4 months on computers and it was a year old it was time to upgrade. They gave me $980.00 credit on the 2 parts and I bought a NEW one. I got the Intel D925XCV motherboard, Intel LGA775 3.8 Ghz processor, 4 gig's DDR2 ram and of course my old ATI All in Wonder Pro wouldnt work, I got the ATI All IN Wonder X600. So I walked out the door around $1600.00 minus the $980.00 credit and also a 3 year instant exchange on the new parts. Took it home and put it back togather but had to reconfigure my boot drive and raid array. Had it back up and running in about 3 hours. Spent the next 4 hours reinstalling the drivers and software. Made a bracket to adapt the water block onto the LGA775 since they don't make one yet and set up the case fans. I also need a water block for the video card. Man this is nice, It runs at a cool *82F.
This has onboard 7 channel audio and Gigabit LAN. The rest of the system consist of 200 GB SATA boot drive, 2-250 GB data drives, 2-200 GB Raid Array, 20" Sony LCD monitor, new illuminated keyboard you can see at night. DSL networked. 4000watt industrial UPS with 500 amp battery pack.
Later Jim.

We have a new winner, folks...

I shall now go into a corner, strip nude, curl into a fetal position and cry.

When are you going to get the compressor cooler?
Old 02-07-2005, 05:25 PM

Jim, have you checked to make sure the prices are competitive? I have yet to find a local place who has even halfway reasonble prices. For just about anything it'd be cheaper for me to overnight it than to buy it locally. www.pricewatch.com is probably the best way to check prices, normally newegg is quite competitive as well.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Banned

I haven't had a problem with my little Dell. It's been running great for 2 years.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:38 PM

Dell computers are amazingly quiet, they are actually the ones that made me realize that I had to do something with my computer.

Quick Reply: Zalman Heatsink, AMD XP