Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Your thoughts on model 629

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 10:09 AM
JKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No. I've used my Fathers equipment to reload shot shells, but that is it. As much as I enjoy shooting, the price of the ammo is going to get up there. I know nothing of reloading pistol or rifle ammo. Have not researched it. I may look into it after I get a few more weapons on hand.

Do you actually save by reloading or is it the benefit of custom loads for better accuracy?
Old 02-19-2005, 10:36 AM
Chapter President

If you shoot any volume of rounds, reloading makes a BIG difference in $$$ - when you buy brass/powder/primers/bullets in bulk, the savings is phenomenol (ex: a box of .44 mag / 240JHPs goes for around $19, I reload them for about $8 - $9 for 50 rounds) - reloading can be pretty boring, but can save TONS of money in the long run (even when you factor in the amortization of the reloading tools / equipment).

Handloads can be tailored to the weapon, I've found that I can get better accuracy out of handloads than mass-procuded one-size-fits-all factory loads, which have gotten more tame over the years - manufacturers are worried about liability issues if their loads blow up an older pistol which may be weakened by tens of thousands of rounds of rounds fired and / or neglect. Handloading also allows you a wider choice of bullets and designs than OTC factory material.

For straight-walled cartridges, as the vast majority of handgun rounds are, I prefer a progressive press - 300 rounds per hour isn't all that difficult on the right setup (I use a Dillon 550B for 10mm, .40, .45, .45LC, and .454), but for bottleneck cases - like most rifles shoot - I prefer a single-stage press, so I can check the case stretch and trim as required from full length resizing - something you could probably avoid with neck-only resizing.
Check out the Dillon website as well as the Midway website for prices....Lyman, Sierra, etc. also have good info on reloading.

Rauschbo
Old 02-19-2005, 11:39 AM

I also reload everything. I use a Dillon 550 and Lee Pro 1000 for my pistol progressives, and all RCBS single stages for rifle. I agree with Rauschbo except, I don't think reloading is boring. On the contrary, it's a lot of fun taking a gun that wouldn't shoot well, and work a load up for it and turning it into a tack driver. Plus, there is a lot more satisfaction taking an animal with your own ammunition. Almost as much as taking one with my bow. -Steve
Old 02-19-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I also hand load, and hand cast bullets, which really drops the cost. To get good with a powerful handgun requires plenty of practice, and good quality factory ammo for a 44 mag is really expensive...
Old 02-19-2005, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Rauschbo
...not to bring up an old subject, but there are a LOT of us in the shooting community that will never do business with S&W again, after they bent over and took it for the Klinton crowd (recall: S&W signed on to the ATF "tracking" insanity, whereas no other firearm manufacturer would; Smith lost a LOT of distributors from that, as the ATF had slipped language into the package that forced the distributor / dealer the same treatment for ALL firearms dealt with, as long as he was selling Smith products...)
Not to mention, when that happened, S&W was not owned by an American company at the time, either.