Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Your thoughts on model 629

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could get any REPUTABLE gunsmith to do it for between $50-100, usually with gunplumbers, the more your paying, the better the work thats being done. A trigger job along w/ a Wolff spring kit, and that Ruger will be slick. If your willing to spend the money for the best w/ a Ruger, look up Hamilton Bowen on the net.
-Steve
Old 02-17-2005, 11:35 AM

I have both a 629 and a Ruger Super Redhawk. The 629 is a decent little 44 that is still not to bad to carry unnoticed with a 6 barell. The Redhawk is a little harder to hide. The 629 is ok with factory loads but does not take well to heavy handloads. My 629 has been streched from using 300gr xtp's and full house loads. The Super Redhawk is a tough 44 and can be loaded way out of sight of the 629. The trigger on my Super Redhawk has been done by a professional and is way better than any Smith that somebody just monkied with the spring.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:30 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

You guys got me regretting getting rid of my peacemaker now..... should've known she wouldn't have been far behind and to keep the GUN. Darn it! There goes the eye again!

Old 02-17-2005, 01:18 PM
JKE

Redleg - I should of let you borrow the feather before you got rid of the gun.

There's plenty of 'em out there. Get another one. It's only you now. That rod done yet?

My local gun shop explained the difference in strength. I guess I don't want to be limitted to what ammo I want to play with. At first I didn't think it would really matter. Now, I think it may. I better get one I can shoot hot loads in and get the trigger fingered by someone that knows what they're doing. - JKE
Old 02-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Rauschbo
...not to bring up an old subject, but there are a LOT of us in the shooting community that will never do business with S&W again, after they bent over and took it for the Klinton crowd (recall: S&W signed on to the ATF "tracking" insanity, whereas no other firearm manufacturer would; Smith lost a LOT of distributors from that, as the ATF had slipped language into the package that forced the distributor / dealer the same treatment for ALL firearms dealt with, as long as he was selling Smith products...)
Now that Saf-T-Hammer is running S&W things are different. The Brits who were running S&W (into the ground) in the '90's were spineless. The guys in charge now saw what happened when the previous management caved (massive sales drop) and I don't think they'll let it happen again. I don't want to see S&W run out of business by shooters - the lawyers and anti-gun politicians will do that soon enough. I refused to buy S&W products while the Brits were still in charge, but I don't think we should punish the employees and current management for what the previous management did.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:00 PM

I put a red dot scope on my 629 . I love the gun and its very accurate .
Old 02-18-2005, 06:15 AM
Chapter President

I put a Wolf spring kit in my Super Redhawk ($19 on sale at midwayusa.com, 2 years ago) in about 20 minutes - now the trigger is as good as my S&W model 57's. Note: I would recommend NOT using the light hammer spring, it won't give you consistent ignition from the primer....

If you want to get a .44 Ruger....you should consider the .454 Ruger! You can shoot hot .45 LC at 44 mag energy levels, then step up to the .454 when you want some palm-bruising excitement! It's ALWAYS exciting to get 2000 ft-lbf out of a handgun.....
Old 02-18-2005, 06:27 AM
JKE

never handled a 57.

I probably need to work my way up, slowly. Most of you men have probably shot more weapons than I have looked at

Is the Ruger as accurate as the smith? - JKE
Old 02-18-2005, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rauschbo
If you want to get a .44 Ruger....you should consider the .454 Ruger! You can shoot hot .45 LC at 44 mag energy levels, then step up to the .454 when you want some palm-bruising excitement! It's ALWAYS exciting to get 2000 ft-lbf out of a handgun.....

454 aint nothin, try this one on for size while punching a 440 grain Core Bond round down the pipe. I got a 454 Casull and it is almost like the 22 in the pic compared to the big S&W 500.
Right Dave?

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/1
Old 02-18-2005, 08:48 AM

JKE- Yes, the Ruger should should shoot every bit as well as the Smith, once you get the heavy trigger taken care of. I watched a buddy use his scoped Super Redhawk w/ his handload, shoot a 1" group @100 yds. Never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it. Most rifles don't perform that well @ 100 yds. -Steve
Old 02-18-2005, 10:19 AM
JKE

CTDinMT - thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Chapter President

The Ruger is a good weapon, but....I don't think I've EVER seen any other wheelgun shoot as good as a Smith (including the Dan Wesson pistols). My model 57 (.41 Mag) was the only revolver at the '96 NRA NRA Sihouette Championship in Washington....a lot of people were surprised to see that kind of pistol competing succesfully against the RPM's and the Contenders.

That being said, the Ruger is easily capable of the accuracy to take smaller game (up through Mule Deer) out to 100 yds - at that range, bullet placement is every bit as important as energy, every time...; Once the trigger is worked on the Ruger, you've got shooter!
Old 02-18-2005, 09:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I guess the big question is what are you planning on using the gun for?

I've had a 629, and frankly I wasn't all that impressed with it for the price. A buddy of mine has a 454 Casull, and it is super-high quality, but expensive.

Ruger revolves aren't too bad for the money, but like people posted above, their double actions could use better triggers.

Personally, the last few years a 16" Thompson Contender in 45-70 with hot 400 grain handloads has been my preferred big game handgun, and I'm pretty happy with it. For some reason, it shoots published 45-70 handgun loads poorly, but will print a clover leaf at 100 yards with heavier loads and bullets. For that kind of power and accuracy I can deal with it being a single shot. It also tends to slam back at you, which I find easier to handle than the "flip" of hot loads in a big revolver.

Anyway, if you are looking for the most bang for your buck in a 44 hunting revolver, you might consider a single action, like the Ruger Super Blackhawk. They are sturdy, have a decent trigger, good accuracy, and cheap.

If you are looking at elk, I would suggest a 454, 45-70, or the S&W 50.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:55 AM
JKE

I would like to use it for deer. Most shots here are 100 or less due to the timber and brush. I don't really NEED it. I would like to have it to take to the range from time to time and, as I said, hunt deer. I would carry it on the mountain incase a bear sittuation came about. There have been 2 bears spotted on our land last year by neighbors.

I've got a 270 and 308 for "other" purposes.

I have a Marlin 45-70 CB on my list as well. Really like the looks of that weapon too.

I thought the 44 would be the most powerful gun with "long" range capability that I could handle easily. I want a pistol that can hit hard and accurate past 50 yds. It sounds like I am on the right track. - John
Old 02-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Chapter President

Everyone has added good thoughts and ideas, and sounds like you're certainly on the right track.

I carry a .44 as a Backup to my rifle when deer hunting (if it's 100 yds or less, and the chance is there, I'll use the pistol) and the .454 as my Elk Hunting Backup - I'm a little leery about going beyond 80-ish yards with that, those are TOUGH animals!

Just remember - hitting a 8-10" dimeter target (K-5 on a deer) at 100 yds. isn't impossible, but it does take a LOT of practice to consistently hit that mark! Do you reload.....yet?

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on model 629