Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

is your job 'Recession Proof' ? why do you think so?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
USAF here...I don't think there's any question. If I loose my job because of a poor economy, we are ALL in really bad shape.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:59 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Telcom I&M Technician (27 yrs)
Assigned to a military installation for the past 21 years.

Job Security is a given considering the way these folks do office moves/reorgs on a whim.
I have relocated 5 orgaizations to make room for one who wanted to be in a specific area.
Then that orgaization decided they wanted to be somewhere else, so I had to move the other 5 back into the same area that they moved out of 4 months earlier.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:29 PM

Medical / computer industry- recession = sickness death = more business.

I'm Secure.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:41 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I think I am pretty safe....
Our economy is still very warm at least locally. There is a lot of 2010 winter olympic construction happening. My company made a very heavy investment in my training three years ago. Roughly 4 1/2 months in Richardson Tx if all the one and two week courses were placed back to back.
I am one of the two certified guy's nortel requires to be able to sell the equipment. (CS1000 Nortel IP PBX for the geeks that know what that is)
I am the senior guy out of 9 techs (and we're looking to hire another)

After being with the company for 20 years I have been here before. I am fortunate I have an employer that is loyal to his employees. There have been times 10-15 years ago where there have been 5 guy's wandering around fighting over who was going to be the next one pushing the broom around the warehouse. There was never so much as a hint that anything was going to happen in the way of layoffs. On the other hand the sales reps were being leaned on heavily to produce something....
Old 06-21-2008, 07:15 AM

i think i will always have a job. i am a control room operator for a combined cycle power plant. i have about 10 people under me and and im the youngest one here 27 i been doing it since i was 20. so as long as everyone doesnt go amish im good.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:41 AM

Well, my job will probably be terminated as well as the entire company, in the next few months. THe economy had some part in it. I work at a veterinary reproductive center for horses. It was going good in years past, but now with the horse market in the crapper, fuel prices at record highs, and hay being double what it was last year, We are feeling the pinch. To make matters worse, we had an employee quit, who had a lot of pull here with the customers, she slandered us and told a lot of customers to go else where, her husband even told them that we were not going to be open for business.
We still have clients who have horses as part of a business or have a really good job to help support their horse hobby. But for the most part; I think I'll be getting a new job.
Any Ideas? Id like to get away from the horse industry.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:35 AM

I am pretty recession proof, I am skilled,qualified tradesman.

Thanks to all the teachers and leaders of the 80's that pretty much said getting into a trade would mean being a loser destined to live in a trailer park for life. These are the same "smart" people that said we should all be training for a life in the pc industry.

I have been a tradesman for 20 years and have never been unemployed even once in that time. We got hit by the recession of the 80's harder than you guys are getting hit in the States now and I never missed a day of work then.

So do me a favor and don't let your friends and family become tradespeople and even better continue to ship your unqualified trades in from other countries, that way between the lack of labor and my continous rework of substandard projects, I am confident that I will be working untill early retirement hits me in 15 years.

BTW I own 2 houses, the truck in my sig my wifes new 06 van and we take 2 holidays 3weeks at a time per year. Not bad for a drywaller........

Just my 2 cents.