Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

is your job 'Recession Proof' ? why do you think so?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
is your job 'Recession Proof' ? why do you think so?

this recession is coming like a train wreck.

i think we better put this tax refund check in a hidey-hole for a rainy day.

the way everything is interlinked now (feds lower interest rate, gas goes up) we could be in for a hard row to row.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:54 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Yeah I fully agree with that statement. Don't be fooled that the refund checks are mad money, you'll only spend a weakening dollar amount that won't buy what that would've bought 5 years ago.
Funny thing is if prices had remained stable the money saved would've probably been greater in your account on what you didn't have to spend on the necessities than this 'refund' designed to make us feel like somebody is actually concerned for the american worker.
Fortunately, I am self employed and can do a wide range of things to earn a few bucks, but I have definitely felt a slow down.

Kurt
Old 04-30-2008, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things are actualy picking up where i live THANK GOD real esate is to little by little. I think its worse in some places thn others unfortunate for some. I know a few contactors actualy 4 of them just got some big jobs including my self. Hope this trend spreads.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great point, I think we are past recession though, what ever we want to call it one thing is for sure, as you stated, it is going to be one hell of a train wreck.

As far as job security goes, I have 80 or so people under me for seniority at the F/D so I believe I am safe. As for the part time job, I am the only wrench at the shop that can operate either as a heavy tow operator and, or general truck repair, + I have been there for a little over 25 years, hopefully it will count for something.

Tim
Old 04-30-2008, 12:13 PM

I work for a steel service center.
I'm not sure how the Steel industry will do in a recession.

But right now we are busy as heck even with the price of steel going threw the roof. ^^
Old 04-30-2008, 12:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtaing
I am self employed and can do a wide range of things to earn a few bucks, but I have definitely felt a slow down.
i sell on eBay as a part time job, that pays for my Truck Mods & "mad money"

i can tell you, eBay has REALLY slowed down. folks aren't buying any and everything, and they dang sure ain't buying it quick.

last fall, you could post Harley Parts in the Harley forums, and they would be gone overnight. i never did sell parts i had last month on a forum, i finally took $40 off my asking price, and put them on ebay to sell them.

i spent $450 in forum classifieds last week, expecting to sell BIG on ebay, but did not, had to take my money to pay for what i bought.

this is the only forum i am on where i am not tearing up the classifieds.

I can't make heads or tails of what's in that jumble of links.
i wish we had three areas, a "PARTS FOR SALE" "trucks for sale" and "JUNK for sale" forums, that you can easily scan.

folks will need deals on parts if this continues...
Old 04-30-2008, 12:34 PM
I think I can... I think...

I refuse to participate in said recession.
We've had several recessions in my life and not one has effected me in anything more than a nuisance manner.
This possible recession has yet to effect me other than the increased price of fuel and other goods.
Current indicators seems to project that we're nearing the end of the slowdown.
Which is what we are currently in.
Recession-a recession is a decline in a country's real gross domestic product (GDP), or negative real economic growth, for two or more successive quarters of a year.
We don't yet have the numbers for 1st QTR 08 but the economy actually grew in the 4th QTR 07.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by capt.Ron
We've had several recessions in my life and not one has effected me in anything more than a nuisance manner.
This possible recession has yet to effect me other than the increased price of fuel and other goods.
Recession-a recession is a decline in a country's real gross domestic product (GDP), or negative real economic growth, for two or more successive quarters of a year.
We don't yet have the numbers for 1st QTR 08 but the economy actually grew in the 4th QTR 07.
Well put. Sometimes looking at real numbers helps...
Old 04-30-2008, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
I agree.

I also add to that saying, that people make it out worse than it is, and therefore actually make it worse because they freak out. Hooray capitalism.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:35 PM

what money? what refund?

The media is hyping this BIG tax refund stimulus payment and making it seem like they're paying my mortgage for a year or something. That's about as far from reality as it can get.

The total refund amount will barely fill my truck and boat with fuel for a long weekend vacation up on the lake!

The only people that are going to really benefit is the welfare receipeants and the china crap market. Think how much of those dollars are just going to go right into WalMart. Think how much is really going to a foreign country and not help the us in any way.

oh well... just more smoke & mirrors.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:51 PM

i <think> my job is, since im civil service, but OTOH, what i do is in its infancy, so if they decided to cut their losses and pull the plug on my project, id be up a creek.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:08 PM

The numbers don't lie.
REAL inflation (ie Energy and Food) is somewhere around 13% (gallon of milk $4)(Diesel $4.25).

The fuel prices alone are a big factor in this recession. It does not take a genius to figure out people are going to spend less money on everything else when their fuel bill has gone up two fold.

Even the president of OPEC is acknowledging the US recession while saying supply is adequate.
I think the investors have a lot of blame in the whole fiasco by running up the prices of oil.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:10 PM
I think I can... I think...

Originally Posted by Marty86
I agree.

I also add to that saying, that people make it out worse than it is, and therefore actually make it worse because they freak out. Hooray capitalism.
You are 100% correct!!!
That's why I'm not participating.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:06 PM

meh im not really worried about.

as a flat rate technician they wont lay me off cause when im sitting around not doing work. im not getting paid.

but haven't really noticed a slow down here.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:07 PM

Since I work in the textile industry my job is always in peril recession or not. I just live day by day and when they finally close the doors something will be there waiting, the Lord hasn't let me down yet.

Quick Reply: is your job 'Recession Proof' ? why do you think so?