Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Yokohama Geolander A/T-S or General Grabber AT2's??

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:08 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yokohama Geolander A/T-S or General Grabber AT2's??

So, I'm in desperate need of tires. Backs are worn bad and will do as good slicks. Front tires, Firestone Transforce AT's still decent. Got 40,000 out of them, back and fronts so front could go a bit longer. I've thought about going with the Firestones again and just buying two, but how long before I have to buy 2 more? So I have been looking at the Yokohamas and Generals. Have read a ton of good reviews on both of their a/t tires and they have excellent mileage ratings.

Only problem is the tire rack is back ordered on the Generals which are a bit cheaper than the Yokohamas, not by much. I think it was $34. Anyone use these two brands? What has your luck been? Likes, dislikes? I've also thought about the Yokohama H/T-S highway all season since my off roading is little. Not a whole lot of price difference, just more mileage. Heres a pic of Geolander and Grabber,

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...ng=R&minLoad=E
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...ng=R&minLoad=E

What do ya think? If you feel the need to give info on Nitto, GYear,BFG's and ouch....Michelins please don't. Those are way beyond any budget I have and have not read to many good reviews on the Nittos and Bfg's anyhow. Just looking for info on the Yokohamas and Generals from people here. We have Generals(19.5) on the F550 at work and they have 55,000 on them and have been spun in jobsites, barried in mud(which they suck in by the way) and have not chunked, torn and still have life in them. That is why I checked out the Generals, real world experience in harsh environments.

I actually find myself leaning towards the Yokohama, but I read many pages of "great" testimonials(as I did on the Yokohama) on the Grabbers, just back ordered.

Thanks for any info!!

Shawn
Old 01-20-2008, 02:36 AM

i had a set of the geolandar at+2's on my '02 and they were excellent tires. i would recommend running them at max pressure (especially when new) as they tend to feel a little soft during break-in. if there is a discount tire near you, you might want to check with them- they not only beat the tire rack's price with mine, but threw in mounting and balancing to boot.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:39 AM
Chapter President

Thanks Chipmonk I'll check into that.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:14 AM

My Geolanders have held up great, but as stated above when new run the pressure higher, the new ATS from them doesnt have that softe feeling and really rides good, ill be putting another set on this spring, as well as a set on my Pathfinder.
http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=600
Old 01-20-2008, 08:27 AM

My father in-law just got us a set of the Yokohamas for my 04, early b-day present woohoo. I really like the tires, they seem to be a good highway tire but also look to have an aggressive enough tread that I shouldn't have a problem going anywhere a 2wheel drive should go. I would recommend the Yokohamas in a heartbeat.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:21 AM
Chapter President

Only problem is I don't see any 285/75/16's in an E load range in the Geolanders. Not horribly important I think I'll just go with the 265's.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:47 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got General AT2's. As of now, they are a great tire for that tread design. Got about 10K on them with nice even wear and tread is 80%+ right now. Very low road noise, EXCEPT around some of the rain grooves. Wet and dry traction is very good. Four tires, 265-75-16 E load, mounted and balanced, free rotation and balance every 5 K, less than $525, including tax.

Trending Topics

Old 01-21-2008, 02:06 PM

I've heard good things on the Generals from my local tire dealer. The only problem is the 285s are on national backorder.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:42 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've got the Generals on my Rover. Replaced BFG AT's and doing a better job IMO. About the same wear and noise. About the same traction in the dry and off road. Where they really seem to shine is on snowy, icy, slushy roads. I am very happy with them and would get them again.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 PM

I have the Yoko AT/S in 265's and LOVE them. Good ride, great in mud/snow but they load up pretty easily. Best cheap tire I have ever owned and at about 15k miles, just starting to show minute signs of wear.

I got mine from a local retailer for about $160 a tire (mounted and balanced, etc.)

If you want pics of them on the truck below, let me know and I'll go snap some.