Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Yep, We Grow'm BIG Down Here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 12:18 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Several years ago, we were TDY to Camp Shelby (Hattiesburg, MS) and range control brought a rattler in that went across the hood and halfway down each side of an M880 (military version of a D250). Not sure of the length, but 10 ft rings a bell. It was a "bubba".
Back in the early 70's, we got one (python or boa)that was 27' and a bit. 'course it was at Cam Rahn Bay laying out in the middle of the runway when an A-4 came in to land. JP-4 don't work for bbq worth a crap. Kinda hard on nose gear too.

wishingforairconditioneduniformShortround out
Old 07-16-2006, 04:01 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Reading through this, I have seen near every method of snake-killing, except one.

It is a scientifically proven fact that far more snakes, of all species, have succumbed to the gooseneck hoe, than all the guns in the world.

Many is the time that I have heard my grandma holler "run to the smokehouse and fetch me the hoe, afore this here snake gets away"; not many of them ever did.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good God!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-16-2006, 07:38 PM
Chapter President

Been there done that. I have a hoe beside my bed because of rattlesnakes. 1 of them in my house.(thats when I started keeping one by my bed.) Think thats bad we had 7 of them in my parents house about 12-16 years ago.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:30 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

I was fresh out of the shower, last summer, and opened a closet to fetch my clothes, bare-footed and bare-axxed; guess what was stretched across the closet floor.

I chopped it in half with the kid's machete, that, for who knows what reason, was laying handy; both halves of the snake managed to slip through a crack.

The new brick house, that I grew up in, was infested with snakes.

This house was sealed, drywalled, storm-doored, and windowed; but, the snakes still found ways to get in there.

In the twenty-some-odd years that we lived there, we averaged seeing four, or five, per year in the house; some got away, some didn't.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
To my knowledge, only one snake has ever came into my house. It got in the basement. Did you know that snakeshot from a .22 will make pretty patterns on new paneling?

I don't think I'm going to mention your house snakes to the boss. She wants to move, but that would make it near impossible to stop her.

Looks like a good BBQ to me.

Ed
Old 07-17-2006, 11:34 AM

I remember when I was a young lad living out on the Navajo reservation in New Mexico .... there was a young indian boy (3-4y/o) who came into his house complaining that the worms he was playing with bit him.
He later died of multiple bites from baby rattlers from when he had climbed into a den along the creek bed and was "playing with the worms".

Since that day ... I would just as soon drop a nuke on a snake as to look at the darned thing !! (unless it is in the zoo behind the glass).

PISTOL
Old 07-17-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Duallydog
Been there done that. I have a hoe beside my bed because of rattlesnakes. 1 of them in my house.(thats when I started keeping one by my bed.) Think thats bad we had 7 of them in my parents house about 12-16 years ago.
Gotta love Big Spring...

I remember seeing them within a hundred feet or so of my house in San Angelo, but I guess we're lucky enough to not have them inside. Those things can get in ANYWHERE...
Old 07-17-2006, 04:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It is not uncommon to be driven down a dirt road and see a rattler stretched from one side of the road to the other. Friend and I had this happen to us. Not good for the snake. 15 rattles and a bud. Skin is hanging in his house. The best snake is a dead snake. I will only not kill King snakes. They can live if I figure out that is what they are before the killing spree starts.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Chapter President

You think .22 with snake shot looks interesting, try .44-40 with snake shot on a partical board sign. Big hole in the middle with a bunch of pecks around it.
We have a gravel road infront of our houses. The road is 16' wide. My mom had just got back from Walmart and we were unloading the mini van and I looked down the road and I saw a rattler slithering across about 150 feet away. When I turned to the house to grab a gun the buzztail was in the middle of the road with (if that much) 2' of road on each side. By the time I got back with a gun all I could see was a tail.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THIS is BIG! Hope you sleep well tonight. Here's the link.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:40 AM

snake in the house will result in me moving. I am not scared of them, but I will not live in some place where I am not sure if there are more of them inside with me. I am good unless I do not know where they are. If I can hear a rattler, but can not see it, you will meet a person with so much adrenalin that I could prolly rip a tree out of the ground to use on him.