Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Yep, We Grow'm BIG Down Here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So wait, I'm confused...

Was it the snake that's 9 feet long, or the stick that's holding the snake up to the camera that's 9 feet long.

Seems to me like a little bit of perspective play is going on there... Of course, snakes can really get 9 feet long, but I'm somewhat skeptical that one is. Ah, I guess there's nothing to be skeptical about.

Nevermind...
Old 07-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Begle1
So wait, I'm confused...

Was it the snake that's 9 feet long, or the stick that's holding the snake up to the camera that's 9 feet long.

Seems to me like a little bit of perspective play is going on there... Of course, snakes can really get 9 feet long, but I'm somewhat skeptical that one is. Ah, I guess there's nothing to be skeptical about.

Nevermind...
Can you say, "Camera trick"??

I've seen some big ones, but I don't think this one is quite as big as they're making it out to be. I'm not sure a Diamondback can grow to 9' in length anyway.

From THIS website, "Sizes range from new born (live, no eggs) at about 10 inches to full adults at around 60 inches. Specimens exceeding six feet are rare."

Of course, this IS Texas we're talking about.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duallydog
Whats bad is there usually isn't any records of the big ones, because when someone was done stoping them there isn't much left.

I can tell you if something like that came up on me in the woods, stomping wouldn't be near the list till I was out of ammo from both clips to the pistol, THEN it would get stomped on. Record or not, that thing ain't comming within 20 feet of me. Shoe's, Belts, Hat, whatever, not worth it, you know that snakes going home to it's wife saying look at the rear of that guy we could make some food, baby sacks, or whatever outa it.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:30 AM
Chapter President

No stomp, I said stop. A little nicer way of saying killing it.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by TAS05CTD610
I can tell you if something like that came up on me in the woods, stomping wouldn't be near the list till I was out of ammo from both clips to the pistol, THEN it would get stomped on. Record or not, that thing ain't comming within 20 feet of me. Shoe's, Belts, Hat, whatever, not worth it, you know that snakes going home to it's wife saying look at the rear of that guy we could make some food, baby sacks, or whatever outa it.
I guess in Texas we're just used to rattlesnakes. I've been too close many times, and as long as you don't **** them off you have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
Can you say, "Camera trick"??

I've seen some big ones, but I don't think this one is quite as big as they're making it out to be. I'm not sure a Diamondback can grow to 9' in length anyway.

From THIS website, "Sizes range from new born (live, no eggs) at about 10 inches to full adults at around 60 inches. Specimens exceeding six feet are rare."

Of course, this IS Texas we're talking about.
On that same website, it says Cottonmouths over 6feet are rare, but around home, we kill some mighty big ones. I've killed one well over 8 feet long, it was a hoss.

I think its a deal with people not reporting them or bringing them in for studying, that the person just kills them and leaves them be. Thats what I did to the cottonmouth that was huge, it bit my dog on the ear, took him to the vet, and he asked what kind of snake it was, and how big. I told him it was a cottonmouth that was over 8feet, and he looked up in his book, and said no way, it says here they can get to 4-6 feet, and thats about it. I asked did he want to come see it, of course he declined.

Even if that is some trick photography, its still a nice rattler. I cant stand a snake anyhow, haha.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:54 PM

All I want to know is did Chrisreyn show that one to his wifey, too?
Old 07-13-2006, 02:37 PM

MMM Good for chili and not bad deep fried either.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by mcoleman
MMM Good for chili and not bad deep fried either.
FRIED SNAKE!!!! Man I gotta kill me a snake now
Old 07-13-2006, 04:45 PM

CMBDI's? MR snake's...
Old 07-13-2006, 07:43 PM

We grew up with some fun stuff, in LA the gators, gar, and other snakes, in Nevada the rattles, scorpians, so I've learned what to mess with, and not to mess with. If it's close I'm just shootin, ain't gonna find out if he wants to taste me or not
Old 07-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Chapter President

Cowhand I see you have taken the Arkansas reading test.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cowhand
CMBDI's? MR snake's...
Lolz. I thought it was mr ducks from NC?
And I didn't even catch what you said at first
Old 07-14-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Duallydog
Cowhand I see you have taken the Arkansas reading test.
Passed it too....
Old 07-14-2006, 11:51 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TomW
All I want to know is did Chrisreyn show that one to his wifey, too?
Nope, but did try to take her to the Rattlesnake Roundup down in Apache Ok one year........ the biggest catch that year was just shy of 11 foot if I remember right. The BOSS wasnt real eager to see it or to sample snake frys, snake sausage or snake stew..... she realy has to learn to open herself to new experiences more.......

nice snake BTW.......

Quick Reply: Yep, We Grow'm BIG Down Here!