Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

WRITE DOWN what you want the Service Writer to TELL your mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
WRITE DOWN what you want the Service Writer to TELL your mechanic

the local dealership had my ManVan out joyriding for 2~3 hours this past Friday, made me late going on Easter Vacation.

i took it in for an alignment & oil change, get High Idle enabled, overhead Temp TSB, dash HVAC SNAFU, missing nuts on the Catalytic converter sound/heat matting, and the driveline shudder.

turns out, the Tech was hunting an elusive note on the ticket, that the service writer had put on there:
"truck has high idle when cruise control enabled, needs fixed"

so rather than calling me, or asking the diesel tech what was going on,
the kid takes my truck out on the interstate for few hours, riding around with the cruise control on, waiting for it to "idle up!"

since it wasn't done by noon on friday, i called a few times, and as it got nearer and nearer to time for them to close, i had to get forceful and tell them to button it up.

finally they got it done 1730 or so. goodness!

i went over, and while paying, looked over the tickets, and was pretty upset.

I've had it there once BEFORE to get the high idle enabled, and left because i was so mad that they did not do it.

so, i went in the service bay, and got the Deisel tech off the job he was on,
and asked showed him the ticket write up, and he's like "they are stupid, they must mean the High Idle feature"

so he took the Startool away from another mechanic in the middle of another job, and went out, and turned on the High Idle and delayed accessory power (10 min max) for me.

he said the kid mechanic looked at the "incorrect temperature displayed" note on the ticket, and watched the engine temp the WHOLE TIME he drove it, and never a PROBLEM!

the kid finally came & got the diesel tech, and he pointed at the overhead, "DUH!" the diesel tech even said it was on -42 or whatever the TSB says.

dang. i SPECIFICALLY asked the service writer if he wanted me to print out TSB's for anything and fax to him "NO NO, i got IT!!"

i should have WROTE DOWN ALL MY INPUT so that he would have had a CLUE.

missed a whole evening with my family back home because thier 3-stooges act.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Had a customer bring in a VW Scirocco back in the 70s with a high-$$ stereo.
His request to the service writer "Keep Car Locked".

Printed on the ticket by the service writer "Keep Car Clock".

ALWAYS check the ticket before you walk away.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drove around with YOUR truck for a few hours. Who's paying for the fuel?
Old 04-10-2007, 01:35 PM

Shovehead, did you keep the clock?

04cdt. That shop sucks on their service . Sounds like the kid was out crusing for babes. Not good. Things I do and have learned the hard way.

If it can be avoided, never go in for service in Friday, especialy if it is any kind of holiday coming up.

If going on a long trip, have any service done at least a week before, have time to shake it down.

Get to know the service writer that is going to take care of you, and use the same one everytime.

Make you appointment on line for service. In the coment section put in exactley what you want done. Print it out, and also take a copy to the shop. They should already have the note you put on your service request. Takes away the excuse, "gee we didn't know that is what you wanted done."

Carry a spare key with you, give them the one you can afford to lose, never give them your keyring. I have had them lose my key more than once. Or someone put in their pocket and went home.

Before paying for the service look over the bill, and have the service writer there with you to go over what was done if it was anything out of the ordinary.

Look it over carfully when going picking up the vehicle. Walk around and inspect it. Open the hood and look see.

Learned this stuff the hard way.

Good luck now.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Banned

just imagine how that kid was driving your rig. probably didnt let it warm up fully before flooring it, didnt let it idle down when he got back, probably let it idle forever, etc.
they will never touch my rig, even if i hadnt voided my warranty, they wouldnt have gotten to test drive with out me.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by dssimecek
. Sounds like the kid was out crusing for babes. Not good.
Not in that manvan... That's an old people ride. I type something out, and then print out the TSB's that are related.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If it can be avoided, never go in for service in Friday, especialy if it is any kind of holiday coming up.
took it Thursday at lunch.

Get to know the service writer that is going to take care of you, and use the same one every time.
they fired them. all of them. ALL of them, the diesel tech was only guy in the shop i recognized - i a$$umed he would be working on it - why did not sweat it.

Make you appointment on line for service. In the comment section put in exactly what you want done.
i'm in SC - I don't think they have computers in the dealerships,
just abacus with a neon lite behind it.

Before paying for the service look over the bill, and have the service writer there with you to go over what was done if it was anything out of the ordinary.

Look it over carefully when going picking up the vehicle. Walk around and inspect it. Open the hood and look see.

Learned this stuff the hard way.
i've done that before - but never seen this level of incompetence.
now that i know that kid is working on it, i will either:
--be more ****
--do it at home

doing it at home sounds like my best choice.
i just packed 10 lbs of stuff into 2 days, and thought it would be easier to have them change the oil

last time i waited till right before we got in the truck to go out of town, and spilled oil on my pants, shirt, driveway, tools, just made a general mess.

for all this aggravation, the mess the would have less problems