Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

would you be proud to be called an "engineer"

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:38 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IPDiesel
But I have never heard someone say-wow, you got that to work, on time, in budget ect..

Because engineers are expected to be able to do the stuff us regular brains can't do. Of course we aren't surprised when it goes right.

Sure, people take things for granted when it goes well, because that how it is suppose to work. Accommodate everybody. But when it doesn't work for someone they immediately feel the inconvenience/hassle/pain/embarrassment/etc.

Anyway, there is some amazing stuff. I know I've said 'This is nice' when walking into or going to newly built places. But when a build is subpar for the norm in an area, you gotta ask, what were they thinking?
Old 06-29-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Don't always blame the Engineer

Sometimes it's not really the engineers fault. I propose designs all the time I know will work well, but my "upper management" dosn't like things and wants them changed, usually not for the better, other than the companies bottom line.

If I designed vehicles without any "management" advice, we would be driving super cool tanks, with really big guns to get rid of all the mini-vans in my way all the time. Oh yeah, it would have like, one billion horsepower too., but we could never be able to afford a vehicle like this.

Designs are made by more than just the engineers.
To the optimist the glass is half full.
To the pessimist the glass is half empty.
To the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Diesel
Sometimes it's not really the engineers fault. I propose designs all the time I know will work well, but my "upper management" dosn't like things and wants them changed, usually not for the better, other than the companies bottom line.

If I designed vehicles without any "management" advice, we would be driving super cool tanks, with really big guns to get rid of all the mini-vans in my way all the time. Oh yeah, it would have like, one billion horsepower too., but we could never be able to afford a vehicle like this.

in some cases its cram twice as much in 1/2 the space.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
in some cases its cram twice as much in 1/2 the space.
Naw, thats the salesmans line.

Do more with 1/2 as much.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by IPDiesel
Naw, thats the salesmans line.

Do more with 1/2 as much.
have you looked under the hood of a ford diesel in the last 8 years! LOL
Old 06-29-2011, 12:30 PM

they just get a bigger shoe horn to squeeze more crud in there.

Our customers are always wanting more & more, but don't want to extend their envelope any. Our salesmen just say-'yea we can put that in there'
Old 06-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been lucky enough as a Technologist to both design/draw an item and then get the parts back from the machine shop to assemble. Hard to complain when you did the design and find out you can't get that thing together because of a small detail in the drawings. I still think machine shop/mechanical experience is key to making good designs.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:06 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Dilbert for president in 2012. Maybe he can engineer America out of the hole Obama has dug.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:20 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bro in law in an engineer so we give him grief. He says this one a lot!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:06 PM

We have an Engineering firm this designs and modifies water treatment plants. He thinks he knows everything. Wanted to move the injection point for KMnO4, Potassium Permanganate, closer to the plant instead of closer to the river. The plant superintendant asked me to come to the meeting. I told the engineer he was wrong. He told me to shout the H up becuase I'm not an engineer. I asked him if he was a certified operator. his answer was no. I call the sales rep who was in the area. He shows up and tells the engineer that I'm right. Boy did I really tick that engineer off. Needless to say he doesn't like me. Oh well. Keith
Old 06-29-2011, 04:59 PM

Being an engineer myself I realize all the issues that have been brought up. In my experience the biggest issue is that they have so much they have to learn (except for Industrial Engineers...... just joking) that they [U]don't[U] get time to tinker, build, and see stuff on their own. I have seen both sides of the fence due to where i grew up. Being around farmers saying "what the heck were those engineers thinking". It's hard to get things right when the middle man has his/her own agendas.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:44 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Around here (the oil and gas fields) engineers fall into the same category as Pelosi and Bo Bo the clown.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Wow, tough crowd here. Makes me glad I took the career path I did...........

I get to engineer machinery that does not get sold, has to work 24/7 for 20 plus years, is worked on with a 2-1/2 Lb sledge and has to form 2200 degree materials. I don't have to listen to anyone except the end user and those who work on them. My budget is not constrained by those Jackals who pass themselves off as Accountants............

Yea, I love my job.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
Around here (the oil and gas fields) engineers fall into the same category as Pelosi and Bo Bo the clown.
you sure thats not fall into

a

d
r
i
l
l

c
a
s
i
n
g
?
Old 06-29-2011, 06:30 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
In the DOD relm......
Mechanical Engineers build weapons systems.
Civil Engineers build targets.

I make sure it hits the target.

Originally Posted by firestorm
Personally, as a mechanic, I feel the way engineering degrees are done, NEEDS to change. You must first complete the course, and then graduate. However, before getting a degree, and being allowed to be hired as an engineer, you should be mandated to spend 5 years in a shop, as a mechanic. This way, the engineer will see it from the 'other side', and avoid designing a car that requires pulling the engine out, to do spark plugs. Or having to completely disassemble the dash, to change the evaporator. Where I work, they call them 'Imagineers', and that's because they imagine it will work as planned. It's not until the mechanics point out there flaws, before it actually works the way it should.

I am not attacking anybody personally, I'm just speaking from experience.
"we" make our new engineers spend time in the shop, build the equipment, swing hammers, turn wrenches, they will figure out what not to do.

To this engineer, the bar tender is late...

There are many aspects to engineering that effect the design beyond the design guys.

Quick Reply: would you be proud to be called an "engineer"