Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Would you buy a 'rental'?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you buy a 'rental'?

There's a pretty nice Accord at the local used car-rental dealer. 30K miles, looks very clean, but it's a rental from the fleet. Pretty decent price at $14,500 and I know from experience Hondas are VERY reliable..so?
Old 06-09-2003, 11:01 PM

Re:Would you buy a 'rental'?

PADZZ,

Is it a Hertz used lot? They have year after year been rated across the country as the best used car dealer. I hear that Hertz has some of the best rentals sold as used, but I now what I've done to rentals that I have rented for business travel. It’s not pretty. Heck, I've blown up 2 of Dollar’s 300M's :'( driving them for sustained periods of time over 100 mph. They didn't fair well. I would just check it out with a very very close eye.

I have a cousin that bought a used 98 Jeep Cherokee from Hertz with ~66,000 miles, and she has had it for 3 years now. She has had to replace both CV boots, Tranny rebuild, EFI replaced, and some misc rubber lines that were cracked.

Honestly, I wouldn’t buy a used rental, but it’s a toss up just like previously leased vehicles. That’s just my $.02, others may have had great experiences.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:52 PM

My wife and I, I should say just my wife, purchased a 2002 Explorer back in November that was a Hertz turn in car. It had 26,000 miles and we have since logged about 9000. The truck has been flawless and you can tell it was well taken care of. The price was outstanding. Overall I'm pleased.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:40 AM

No I wouldn't.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:06 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Basically I buy my vehicles based on price and technical state. I have bought vehicles from rental companies and even one taxi. The taxi was a Toyota Carina 2.0 turbodiesel with 300 000 km (190 000 miles approx). I turned about 70 000 km on this car, sold it to my cousin. <br>The only flaw it has now is a dent in the left rear door. (After having been driven to 420 000 km by my cousin)<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 06-10-2003, 05:35 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

My brother-in-law bought a Dodge van 4 years ago from Hertz.<br>It still runs like a top 60,000 later.<br>He brought a 2002 Nissan Sentra with 22,000 miles by the house last night that he's thinking about buying for his daughter. Price $11,000 with warranty to 70,000 miles.<br>Car is in great shape and looks to have been well maintained.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:19 AM

My brother bought a Pontiac from a local rental place, had to do nothing other than regular maintence. He drives like an old lady though.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:48 AM

Never for me on a rental. I see how they are abused. They are cleaned up nice before they are sold though. But, you cannot see the mechanical abuse and wear done before you buy it.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:52 AM

Snowman..it's an Avis lot. I see it has some cigarette burns on the seat, and I'm a non-smoker. I could spend 2K more and get a Certified Accord that's an EX not a LX.... [undecided]
Old 06-10-2003, 01:37 PM

The same could be said for a private owned vehicle as well. How many people take really good care of their personal vehicles?
Old 06-10-2003, 02:14 PM

[quote author=PADZZ link=board=10;threadid=15703;start=0#147771 date=1055263966]<br>Snowman..it's an Avis lot. [/quote]<br><br>Avis and I have never been on good terms. The cars I rented (Full size and Luxury) just did not seem reliable. If they can give you an extended warranty you might be safe. Honda does make cars that last, but when they need to be fixed, they are not cheap to repair (shadetree or dealer.) BTW, I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just letting you know to be cautious. New or used vehicles is like Russian roulette, ya never know what you’re going to get until a few hundred miles later. The best you can do is check all the fluids, take it for a LOOOONG test drive, and buy a lotto ticket. As, some of the above posts show others have had great experiences. I have help tons of friends buy used cars, and I found that the smaller the engine size the less wear and tear on the entire car. I would check out info about the car on www.alldata.com and then run a vin report on www.carfax.com. An educated buyer has a better chance.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:33 PM

Location: Eagle, Idaho. Please set your watch back 20 years when entering.

You know, there's 2 kinds of vehicles that can go almost anywhere, 4WDs and rental cars.<br><br>Seriously, have it looked over by someone you trust and if it checks out, go for it.<br><br>100 Proof
Old 06-10-2003, 04:44 PM

I bought a '99 Stratus ES, V6, Auto, etc, almost three years ago with 25k miles - it had been a &quot;Dollar&quot; Rental Car. It now has right at 95k and has spent maybe two days in the shop - a trans seal leak and the trans speed sensor. Still has the original shocks/struts. New tires, brakes, serpentine belt, trans fluid &amp; filter, oil &amp; filter every 3500. Time for the 100k tuneup. Gets 30mpg at 75mph. Best car I've ever had. I'd take the chance again.<br><br>DW
Old 06-10-2003, 05:36 PM

Nope,don't do it. We have rentals at work &amp; they are abused to a great extent. I had a lease car once for 2 yrs. Knowing I wasn't keeping the car I was very lax in the service of it. I have worked at a car dealership for the past 22yrs. in the service dept. &amp; usually am very good a maintaining a car but still abused the leased car. It's too easy to get a bad car. Just my .02
Old 06-11-2003, 11:24 AM

With rental cars it can be hit or miss.. I worked for a licensee of a national company (locally owned).. I have seen rental cars with 25k miles and never had an oil change.. but i think that was the exception and not the rule..<br><br>ALSO.. and BIG also.. we had a used car lot but we went to all the auto auctions and bought cars there.. Although you may be buying from an Avis/Hertz/Budget dealer now, there is a good chance it didnt come out of their rental fleet... Probably 60 - 75% of our cars came from the auctions.. You really dont know who had it originally.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a 'rental'?