Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Working w/ the salesman 2006

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working w/ the salesman 2006

Hello,
So, hopefully I can get a little user experience. Please and thanks in advance! Love this site!

How should I interact with a new Dodge salesman when I go down to buy my new 2006 cummins/dodge? I know they always go into the other room to discuss everything with their manager

What can I do other than internet research on the expected price of the vehicle can I do? How do you work a salesman?
Old 08-26-2006, 06:47 AM
Banned

Hah, when he gets up to go discuss it with someone else I suggest you follow him or leave.

Why they do that is very simple.... they play good cop bad cop. The salesman is the good guy "negotiating" on your behalf (yeah, right!) and the finance manager is the bad cop telling him to bend you over. They'll play this back and forth game maybe a few times and then stonewall you at something that is still out of line.

My suggestion is to go to your bank, credit union, etc. and get approved in advance. That way you are talking with real money and not getting their "floor plan" involved. Unless of course you have the real deal.... CASH! Then you can pull out your check book and pretend to start writing the check, but when they come back with an offer too high you just close it and start walking for the door. Watch how the salesman chases you and makes offer upon offer to get you to come back.

Oh, one last thing... if you make a deal do not hand over one dime if they tell you that you can pick the truck up tomorrow! Recently fellas here have mentioned that the truck isn't ready when the deal is done. Well, don't make the deal done until the truck is ready. You can leave them a deposit like $100 or maybe $500 at the most, but they need to display some desire to make their customer happy.

Sorry for the novel, but I despise most dealers only because I have had good experiences with my dealer and have heard nothing but horror stories about most of the others.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:22 AM

I refuse to deal with a salesman that runs to his manager. The first time that happens I ask to deal directly with the manager as to not waste my time
Old 08-26-2006, 07:47 AM
Banned

where do you live? my best advice is to come to TX! in the north TX area alone, we've got 4 huge high volume dealers that will lose money on a truck to make a sale just to keep their volume up
Old 08-26-2006, 08:03 PM

Well, just bought a new 06 big horn edition w/ cummins. I paid aprox. $3500 under invoice!!! Yippeeeeeeeee...seems like the employee pricing thing works for me.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:41 PM

There are several threads on here with members saying what they paid. For instance, "MSRP was xx,xxx, I paid xx,xxx." This will give you a ballpark figure on what the current going rate is, then what to shoot for. Don't go to a dealership (while they're open) until this homework is done.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:55 AM

I worked at a Dealership as a tech until last month. But I have a story.

This one guy came in and said they had one chance to get the price right. They offered him higher than what he wanted to pay. Then next the salesman went back to the finance manager and got the price the guy was askin for. But all the guy did was walk out the door. I found it really hilarious and laughed for the rest of the day. I was happy. crazy Dealerships.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:50 PM

Lithia,Lithia,Lithia thats the way they play I will never step foot on their lot again
Old 09-26-2006, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=barttly;1104756]

How should I interact with a new Dodge salesman when I go down to buy my new 2006 cummins/dodge?

Treat them like a red headed stepchild! Get up and walk out if they cannot meet your price. There are always better deals. And, there is always the option of buying a low milage used one and save the depreciation.

John (DH)
Old 09-27-2006, 03:26 PM

Being a salesman Ican say that I laugh when other guys run to their managers. I have been with my managers long enough to know that I will walk a customer out the door if they try to play those stupid games. I truley do give the best price I can do the first time. I guess that is why I get alot of repeat customers and their friends and family too.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hicktwn
Being a salesman Ican say that I laugh when other guys run to their managers. I have been with my managers long enough to know that I will walk a customer out the door if they try to play those stupid games. I truley do give the best price I can do the first time. I guess that is why I get alot of repeat customers and their friends and family too.
Send me a PM telling me where you're at. If you do what you say you do I might be interested in chatting with you.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:00 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Why even go into the dealership? Most dealers these days have an internet sales staff and you can get a great price that way. When I bought my truck I checked over 30 dealers in five states before deciding on where to buy. Found out later I did the right thing as in following some threads here on DTR,the prices that others paid were higher than I paid for the same truck and options. PM me and I can give you the name of the dealer. They have been great for after sales service as well, in fact, the best dealer of any brand of vehicle I have ever owned.
Compose one e-mail with the specs you want, copy it and send it to as many dealers as you want. This takes minutes and can be done from your home and saves many frustrating trips to the various dealers. Even send it to dealers that you probably will not deal with as that will give you a good price comparison.