Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Work/Hiking Boots

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Weg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Work/Hiking Boots

Question for all of you that wear boots.

The last couple of years I have been trying out some different boots trying to find the best kind. I wear them all the time and use them for hiking also.

It seems the best pair I have found yet is Gerogia's and they only usually last a year before the tread wears out. My current boots are some Wolverines and I haven't been impressed with them at all. They have lasted 3-4 months at most before the tread is almost gone.

Boots before them were Double H and they seemed to last a year before the stitching came apart.

Just wondering all of your opinons.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:58 PM

I'm not a hiker so I can't help you out there. But I do work so mabe I can help there.

I have a set of steel-toed Wolverines and they are great, I've had them for a little of a year & a half, the soles are still intact, tread is good. I did manage to snap off 2 shoelace rings, no biggie though. The steeltoe has saved me countless amounts of time.

I just bought a pair of Justins slip on laceless boots. They are way lighter then my Wolverines, easier to get on but have no steel toes. The grip on them isn't the best but im not climbing hills at work.

There is a boot for every type of work environment, just gotta find one that works and stick w/ it.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:04 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Red Wings are supposed to be long lasting. Haven't owned any yet though.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Banned

I've got a set of wolverines for 8 months or so and they are doing great. I love em.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:12 PM

I have a couple pairs of Whites. These are the best and most comfortable boots I have ever owned. I have had one pair for 6 years, and the other for 4 years. just got them both resoled. They are a little pricey (around $380 a pair) but they will last for life if taken care of. Just my .02.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:14 PM
Weg

Originally Posted by sumner
(around $380 a pair)

Thats alittle high for my boot budget .

Seems people have had better luck with the Wolverines then I have had. Maybe i'll just have to go buy some cheap ones from wally world for work boots and get me a good pair of hiking boots.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i wear "redbacks" from the land down under. they are very comfy and log wearing. they run about $125. current pair is 3 years old and just about ready for a new pair.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:56 AM

I have two pairs of Redwing boots (1 pair of ex-navy flight deck boots (circa 1982) and one pair or hiking/motorcycling boots) and one pair of RW shoes that I still wear. The shoes are on thier 4th set of soles. I've got wide feet and the RW's seem to fit me the best.

Some people may think they're pricey (or want to cheap out on price), but if you literally live in them and they're comfortable and long lasting - its worth every penny.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:21 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I'm using LOWA hiking shoes and Meindl boots for the tougher stuff. (not work, both have no steel caps)
Both of them do last really long, if you get them you will need to get the VIBRAM sole. Tough bugger and almost no wear.

AlpineRAM
Old 05-17-2006, 07:23 AM

Steel toed Red Wing "Pecos" here. Cost is around $150/pair. They wear comfortably and hold up good. Ed B
Old 05-17-2006, 07:29 AM

I have only owned Timberland for about 4yrs now and i love them! i think if you want a good work boot....'corse it all depends on what ya do......you might be able to go with one of the cross over boots, like a hiker/workboot or if ya end up needing to get just a work boot the timberland PRO is a good steel toe boot and i think it comes in a non-steel boot too. you can get just a nice hiker at a TL place for like 80 or so but it all depends on where ya go I go to a lace that just does timberland so if ya went to a real boot place it will be more.

nothin beats a lumbuh jack boot....not to comfy though
Old 05-17-2006, 08:54 AM

i have to agree with sumner on the whites.i have a couple of pairs.1 pair i bought in 1985.they've been back to the factory twice to be "rebuilt" at 95.00 each time.not too bad for 20 plus years of service.also have a pair of ariat lace up hermosas.those are pretty good but i only get about a year out of them.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had

Justin workboots, wolverines, and currently im at double H boots. Justins seem to last about a year, wolverines and redwings bout a year and a half, and so far the double H have been best to me, at goin on two years with one pair that i use every other day, i have two or three pairs of boots and i alternate them, Ive not had redwings yet but ive never been that fond of them...

Rick
Old 05-17-2006, 09:06 AM

Redwings & wolverines are both good boots. Have had very good luck w/both. IMO don't buy Cat boots they don't last very long. My two favorite boots are Doc Martin for comfort & JB Goodhue for price & durability.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:03 AM

my boots for school are steel toe Wolverines. i have had them for about a year and a half and like them real well. the tread is wearing real well. my boots for work are Brama boots i do not like the bramas at all. not enough tread.

Quick Reply: Work/Hiking Boots