Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wood Stove Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wood Stove Question

I am thinking about putting a small wood burning stove in my attached garage (2.5 car). Good idea or bad? Can I vent it through the wall or does it have to go through the roof? Thanx REDNECK
Old 10-09-2005, 07:00 PM
Banned

you will most likely have to vent it through the ceiling to displace the heat and smoke. The bends to get it out the wall might not let all the smoke out and could possible back draft.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think they are a great idea if you have a good source of free wood. Sure is nice to take the chill out of the air when you want to work on something, or the wife gets mad at you and locks you out.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:16 PM

yep, just what he said. if wood is an easily acquired resource(cut and work your own). you will definitely have to vent it up through the roof. maybe not directly straight up but eventually will have to clear the roofline of house. i have worked with pellet stoves and they are different. they can be vented horizontally through the wall of the shelter.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:27 PM

You probably already know this but some wood stoves burn real hot. If you have flammable things in your garage like I have (cars, gasoline, combustible cleaners, solvents), you might want to upgrade your insurance policy! A pellet stove would be a much safer unit since they have a controlled burn rate and don't burn out of control. Are you planning to always be with the stove when it's going? Be safe!
Old 10-10-2005, 07:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you get an "air tight" stove you can leave it alone for hours. We heat our house with wood 24/7 when it's below 25 degrees. We load it up with wood and set it to burn slow by the amount of air that is allowed into the stove. Haven't burned down the house yet!
Old 10-10-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pop-Pop
You probably already know this but some wood stoves burn real hot. If you have flammable things in your garage like I have (cars, gasoline, combustible cleaners, solvents), you might want to upgrade your insurance policy! A pellet stove would be a much safer unit since they have a controlled burn rate and don't burn out of control. Are you planning to always be with the stove when it's going? Be safe!
Words of Wisdom, If you have gas or anything flammable that will have to be close to the stove,Might not be a good idea. I have heated with wood all my life and they get very hot if left unattended.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:36 PM

Some units allow you to draw combustion air from the outside through a vent port. Increases the amount of heat that stays inside. Also prevents (or at least reduces) the potential of drawing flammable vapors into the flame. Just my .02 if you haven't purchased one yet.

BTW I heat my entire house with a Clayton central wood burning furnace. It's tied into the HVAC ducting and has its own fan. Can't imagine what some folks are going to paying for natural gas this Winter.

Good Luck with your purchase.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:59 PM

we heat our house with a wood stove all winter long, try not to use the heater at all. no problems overheating it, just shut the air down if it starts getting too hot. the stoves that hook into the HVAC systems are NICE for a house, way overkill for a garage. we just run our house fan to circulate the air. also our stove exhaust pipe goes horizontal about four feet, goes through the wall and then up. no problems at all. just make sure you get an air tight stove with a catalytic converter(bad for trucks, good for stoves) once the fire's burinin' hot enough close the cat and the exhaust goes through a big cast iron waffle lookin thing, gets the heat outa the exhaust and keeps the fire burnin slow.

yes, and don't pour gasoline on the stove or throw oily rags near it. also keep awls, screwdrivers and razor blades away from your eyes. i mean, be careful but you don't have to be overboard paranoid. i suppose someone did need to bring up the safety issue though as we can no longer assume that people have any common sense, or even know what it is...

have fun!
Old 10-10-2005, 05:31 PM

You can vent it out through the wall but the stack still needs to be tall enough(like coming out of the roof) to create the proper draft. We have one in our shop vents through wall into a chimny.. Heats a 30x40 shop. We usally will fire up a kerosene heater for about ten minutes takes the chill off the shop untill the wood stove catches up.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by jon96ctd
yes, and don't pour gasoline on the stove or throw oily rags near it. also keep awls, screwdrivers and razor blades away from your eyes. i mean, be careful but you don't have to be overboard paranoid. i suppose someone did need to bring up the safety issue though as we can no longer assume that people have any common sense, or even know what it is...

have fun!
Thanks Guys, My wife reminds me all the time that I too am a safety impared person. I will never live down the staple gun thing. I did look into the insurance thing and it will go up $25 a year for a wood stove. Thanks again for the input.

P.S. always take the staple gun off the top of the 8 foot step ladder BEFORE moving the ladder! Redneck
Old 10-12-2005, 11:12 AM

"P.S. always take the staple gun off the top of the 8 foot step ladder BEFORE moving the ladder! Redneck"

that sounds a lot like the voice of experience speaking...
Old 10-16-2005, 09:40 PM

Well I bought a wood stove today. Its a smaller one it will heat 1200 sq. feet. Now I have install it. Debating if I want to go to the township and pull a permit or not? Any thoughts? The stove was the cheap part the chimney price is killing me! $200 for the stove but the chimney parts were $400. I guess it will pay for it self in the future. Thanks for the input fellas!!
Old 10-16-2005, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd go through the wall with the pipe with lots of safety overkill like an 8" cast iron pipe through the wall and your stovepipe through the iron pipe. If it smokes and the fire keeps going out, crack open a window so the fire can get some air. Might get a fire extinguisher too.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:32 PM

We get some pretty extreme temps up here...lots of nights colder than 20 below zero. I built this last year to heat our 30x40 home. It barely had to work at it. In fact, many days I would open the door to the shop and let the heat go out there because the place got so warm. If I were to build another, it would be smaller. This one handles a 24" log easily. Size of the stove is 36" wide, 24" deep, and 24" high not counting the legs. Its air tight, so if it gets too hot, I just close the 2 vents in the doors and the fire dies right down.

Jim

Quick Reply: Wood Stove Question