Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wood burning stove Question??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I was reading all the post, I was thinking, "The AC is probably on". Hey, at least you now know how it works. And your fuel supplier will keep you from running out if you purchase only from him.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:08 PM

I am sure you know this but on a fuel oil heat system if you run out ( done it a few times myself ) all you need to do is run down to your local service station and fill up a couple of 5 gallon cans with diesel and dump them in the tank . It is the same fuel just dyed and taxed same as farm fuel or off road . On some systems you will need to bleed and others you will not , hopefully your tank is higher then the furnace which makes this easy . That was one thing I always liked about oil heat your only out as long as it takes to run to the nearest diesel pump .
Old 12-11-2006, 06:36 PM

Leave the door open going from the basement into the upstairs, then use your wood burning stove exclusively for one week. You'll never look back. I use wood burning stoves in everything. The furnace is nice to bring the house up to heat, but the stove has a much warmer feel to it as it's always a constant heat versus a furnace turning on and off. It will also keep your basement warmer. Keep in mind heat rises, and the thermostat is above the furnace. Your upper floors will always be warmer then the basement. Your kids will probably thank you too! Wood burning is usually cheaper too depending on what wood goes for in your area!

Shawn
Old 12-11-2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by craneage2001
My thoughts as another woodburner:

1) Check the chimney damper---if it's wide open, all your heat will go right out the chimney...once the fire is going good and hot, close it down and it'll put the heat into the house

2) Check that there's no dampers or baffles on the ductwork off the woodstove---they may not be automatic. There needs to be some way to switch between the furnace and the woodstove, so when the furnace is running, its not pumping heat into the woodstove.

It sounds similar to the one in my house. On mine, there is a damper between the wood stove, and the furnace. It's nothing more than a coat hangar wire sticking out of the ductwork. I have to manually open and close it. Once you get it figured out, you'll really like it. I leave my basement door open, and it heats the whole house. My furnace is electric, and I don't even have the circuit breaker for it turned on.