Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

This Won't make NASCAR Happy

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Won't make NASCAR Happy

Will it get better mileage with compressor air or.....politicians air?That is the question.The van is available for shrewing around.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/141944/t...debut-in-2012/
Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Just a big bomb on wheels.

"two 340-litre carbon fibre gas tanks which are filled with air to 4350psi"
Old 01-10-2012, 06:49 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They would run non-stop in DC if they could harness all of that hot-air.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 06RAM2500
Just a big bomb on wheels.

"two 340-litre carbon fibre gas tanks which are filled with air to 4350psi"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lw_fhNAIQc

This was a SMALL O2 cylinder that exploded due to the actions of a Darwin Candidate.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Filling those tanks would be a huge concern for me.. Let alone driving around town with that much PSI If both of those tanks explode, its gonna be a real bad day for a bunch of people.

Side note, when I use to fill tanks at the dive shop I remember having to soak the tanks in water to prevent heat build up while filling. Whats gonna keep those tanks cool while being filled at the gas station?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:36 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Side note, when I use to fill tanks at the dive shop I remember having to soak the tanks in water to prevent heat build up while filling.
Thats how stupid I was. At 17 I was filling tanks up but was only told the water bath was to protect me from a small explosion should a tank ever rupture. I noticed that the top of the tank always dried quick but never put 2+2 together.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
On the second video, it seems that whoever was working on that one, tried to removed the valve on a full tank.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder how they can fill the tanks in a short time, and not build up the heat.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:59 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I strap a carbon fibre tank to my back with 4,500 psi in it every time I go to work. Bang it up in fires and smash it into stuff all the time and not a single failure.

We put them in a Bauer compressor with a heavy steel gate, close the gate and slam them full of air, once again not a single failure.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
I strap a carbon fibre tank to my back with 4,500 psi in it every time I go to work. Bang it up in fires and smash it into stuff all the time and not a single failure.

We put them in a Bauer compressor with a heavy steel gate, close the gate and slam them full of air, once again not a single failure.
How many times have you hit it with an Escalade doing 60 mph?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to mention heating it to 200 to 600 degrees on a regular basis.

Tim, you ever notice that the steel gates aren't really all that heavy? Ours is 1/4" I think. Seems like the shrapnel from a failure would go right thru 1/4".

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
How many times have you hit it with an Escalade doing 60 mph?
They're no more dangerous that a pressurized propane tank is. While not under as much pressure and not carbon fiber, propane is WAY more dangerous as far as I'm concerned. One 20 pound LP tank, (like on a barbeque grill), has the explosive equivalent of 66 sticks of dynamite. I'd rather take my chances with the carbon fiber tank of air that will probably be enclosed in some sort of containment or at least a scatter shield.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe they could design the car so that the "fuel" tanks could be swapped out with standard scuba/air supply tanks. Carrying a couple extra tanks along to swap out might be pretty convenient, not to mention that you could take your car diving or use it as a rescue vehicle - just plumb a regulator line into the passenger compartment.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:41 PM

What is so new about this, it is basically a steam engine but uses compressed air instead. You can run a steam engine on air too, its a neat concept but I would like to see the real world mileage to a tank of air. also for protection the tank could be placed where the pressure would not enter the cab in event of failure, basically letting the presure escape in the direction you want it to.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:28 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Let's see,
Car is propelled by highly compressed air.
Air is compressed by big electric compressor
Electricity comes from power grid.
Grid gets electricity from coal fired power plant.

It's a car:
propelled by coal
designed by Rube Goldberg.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:22 AM

wouldn't you love to come across someone using an old hand pump and you stop to help and ask them if they have a flat tire/I know, heres your sighn/ anyway they say no, just topping off the tank

Quick Reply: This Won't make NASCAR Happy