Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Women and car maintanence

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Women and car maintanence

Maybe this applies to some of you, maybe it doesn't. My fiancee has a small Hyundai Elantra, and maintenance is not on her priority list. She teases me because I keep a maintenance log, am picky about my filters and parts, and even send my oil out for analysis on occation. I wash the outside/underside/engine, wax it, keep it vacuumed and clean inside, and even avoid driving behind the salt trucks in the winter.

She's completely the opposite. She takes it to Jiffy Lube when she remembers, which was a year last time. If they don't fill the wiper reservoir or vacuum it out, it doesn't get done until I started doing it. It's four years overdue for new antifreeze, and I convinced her to put new tires on it this winter because the old ones were near treadless. The funny thing is, the car runs like a top; it has the origanal battery which is six years old, not a leak of anything anywhere, passes emissions and drives well. It does need a serious wax, but the body and underside is in good shape. She's a smart woman, but cars I guess just aren't her thing.

What puzzles me is how difficult it is to justify my hard work, when that little thing keeps going like an Energizer bunny. Is anyone else's wife like that? And, is anyone else's little foreign car built that well?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In general it never fails to amaze me when someone can neglect a vehicle and it continues to run forever, yet when you take care of a vehicle to the fullest, it can and will give you endless grief. Been there seen it many times. No explanation.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:15 PM

My wife used to yell at me everytime her Durango would break down. I never fixed it quick enough, never changed the oil quick enough, etc. etc.
We bought her a Jeep low miles and a warranty. I told her I'm not touchin it and we will see how that works for her after 2 years . I still have to put air in the tires every dang time it gets cold out though. Aluminum rims along with the air pressure warning light is drivin me nuts. 28lbs and she's callin me !!!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:18 PM

I often wonder why that is, too!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cujo_07
In general it never fails to amaze me when someone can neglect a vehicle and it continues to run forever, yet when you take care of a vehicle to the fullest, it can and will give you endless grief. Been there seen it many times. No explanation.
Funny how that works, but its the truth.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:22 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I dont think maintenance is as important as it used to be.
oils are better quality. additives last longer, metals are better quality and generally, the engineering is better.
As long as there are mondays and fridays, there will be bad vehicles.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:01 PM

And to think I'm the one who bugs my brother about keeping his truck and equipment maintained. I even get to do the oil changes on his backhoe....I think I'm a smoother operator than him too
Old 02-23-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Of course, I didn't lump every woman into that category. But, on the whole, it just seems typical. She never looks at it as a machine that needs maintenance.

I never thought about the fact that maybe vehicles are made better than they used to be, with better alloys and designs as mentioned above. Though, it does seem like those little foreign cars are engineered really well overall. Either way, maybe its just a comfort thing- I feel better knowing I take care of my truck. Either way, when we're married and get her a new replacement car, no more Jiffy Lube.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:19 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Look at their driving habits compared to ours, and what we do with our vehicles...
Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Been married long enough to know I ain't going ANYWHERE near this thread.

Except to say I have never convinced her that grinding sounds are NOT normal.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:26 AM

My wife is the same way. I do think she did wash one of the vehicles in the last 25 years. Of course she knows I am a fanatic about maintenance and cleanliness.
I do have to agree with Fronty Owner that the newer cars do seem to need a little less care. Ed B
Old 02-24-2009, 09:57 AM

My wife says she don't know how to check the oil. (Not taking time to think before I spoke). I told her she should not be driving. Then she wanted to start talking about her cooking, cleaning house and ect. A man can't win that argument.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:26 AM

My wife backs out of the driveway and drops it into Drive while still rolling in reverse. No matter the front-seat debates we've been having for 15 years, she still does it EVERY TIME. So far, no mechanical repercussions.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:11 PM

Simple.. the more the hoods opened, the more often it will break.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since this thread is about how men and women differ in maintenance practices, I just had to share this:

Oil Change instructions for Women :

1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change.

2) Drink a cup of coffee.

3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Money spent:

Oil Change: $20.00
Coffee: $1.00
Total: $21.00
==========

Oil Change instructions for Men :

1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store, and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner, and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00.

2) Stop by 7-11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive home.

3) Open a beer and drink it.

4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.

5) Find jack stands under kid's pedal car.

6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.

7) Place drain pan under engine.

8) Look for 9/16 box-end wrench.

9) Give up and use crescent wrench.

10) Unscrew drain plug.

11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss.

12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms. Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.

13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.

14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.

15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.

16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties.

17) Drink a beer.

18) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.

19) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.

20) Remember drain plug from step 11.

21) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.

22) Drink beer.

23) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.

24) Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill.

25) Drink beer.

26) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame removing any excess skin between knuckles and frame.

27) Begin cussing fit.

28) Throw stupid crescent wrench.

29) Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.

30) Beer.

31) Clean up hands and bandage as required to stop blood flow.

32) Beer.

33 ) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.

34) Beer.

35) Lower car from jack stands.

36) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during any missed steps.

37) Beer.

38) Test drive car.

39) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.

40) Car gets impounded.

41) Call loving wife, make bail.

42) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.

Money spent:
Parts: $50.00
DUI: $2500.00
Impound fee: $75.00
Bail: $1500.00
Beer: $20.00
Total: $4,145.00
But you know the job was done right!

Quick Reply: Women and car maintanence