Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

wisconsin hunting disaster

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy wisconsin hunting disaster

This is the worst thing that I have ever seen happen to hunting in all my short life. I don't know if anything like this has ever happened on this scale before "save for the hatfields and Mccoys"why on gods green earth would that little chinese japanese guy shoot eight people (killing five) because he was hunting on their land in their treestand?? Now I know how ****** you can get when you see people hunting on your land and the evil words that are said between the two parties often shouldn't be repeated, but I have never thought of actually shooting someone and I don't understand this guys reasoning. He was at fault on their land. He should have packed his stuff turned tail and run. But instead he shot the two that found him, and all their friends when one of the guys was able to radio back to camp for help. It makes my gut turn to think how those people must felt to see their friends being gunned down and this psycho just sitting in the tree picking them off. I feel this is going to be a major point of ammunition for groups against hunting and for total gun control. This is a sad day for the familes of these people and for our country.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:22 PM

Thats nuts, I heard about it on the news this AM. I been fishing in the sierras when it was still deer and bear season and was afraid Id got shot moving thru the brush. Guy musta had to many Twinkies for breakfast.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:33 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6551094/
Old 11-22-2004, 04:34 PM

Re: wisconsin hunting disaster

Originally posted by slimpicken
.........why on gods green earth would that little chinese japanese guy........
I believe the suspect is Laotian.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:49 PM

Definately a terrible deal-
I noticed the media is already talking about how an "assault" weapon was used and that a 20 round mag was emptied. Brady Bill supporters will go crazy over this one.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Banned

Re: Re: wisconsin hunting disaster

Originally posted by Commatoze
I believe the suspect is Laotian.
Does it reall matter what ethnicity he is?

Article says he's from St. Paul, MN. What if he's a US citizen? Then he's as American as you or I....

How about saying some insane moron shot those people rather than labeling it with a race (and showing your racism?)
Old 11-22-2004, 05:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: wisconsin hunting disaster

Originally posted by joel
Does it reall matter what ethnicity he is?

Article says he's from St. Paul, MN. What if he's a US citizen? Then he's as American as you or I....

How about saying some insane moron shot those people rather than labeling it with a race (and showing your racism?)
What the hecks the matter with you! Are you off your meds or something! I was setting the record the straight regarding the original poster! If the guy is Hmong (judging by the intelligence of your last post, you probably don't know what that is, so I won't bother) there was probably a language barrier as well as a cultural gap. So yeah, Joel, in this case it does matter, and maybe you should read up a little with regards to the tensions between Hmong hunters and the rest of the hunting populace before taking pot shots of your own at forum members. At any rate it's a terrible event.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Administrator

"Little chinese japanese guy" is a racist statement.

Laotian is fact.

I hope joel's comment was directed at the original poster and not you Commatoze.

Some peope just shouldn't be allowed to play with guns.

phox

In no way am I suggesting that the original poster is a racist, only his choice of words.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: wisconsin hunting disaster

Originally posted by Commatoze
What the hecks the matter with you! Are you off your meds or something! I was setting the record the straight regarding the original poster! If the guy is Hmong (judging by the intelligence of your last post, you probably don't know what that is, so I won't bother) there was probably a language barrier as well as a cultural gap. So yeah, Joel, in this case it does matter, and maybe you should read up a little with regards to the tensions between Hmong hunters and the rest of the hunting populace before taking pot shots of your own at forum members. At any rate it's a terrible event.
I would suspect that most of us on this forum don't know who the Hmong are - and would have no reason to do a search on Hmong without provocation.

So, my original statement stands. Identifying the shooter as "chinese japanese" or Laotian without amplifying remarks is meaningless but to point out that he's not "'Murican". It certainly doesn't set the record straight on why saying he's Laotian is any different than Chinese or Japanese.

IF he was Hmong, it still doesn't give him the right to open fire at people just for yelling at them. Of course, if that's the case, he'll probably get off on all charges by pleading that he was traumatized after Vietnam and shouldn't be held accountable for his actions.

Because, as we all know, shooting people... and continuing to shoot at them as you run away, is a normal action that ALL humans would normally do.

The original post of, "why on gods green earth would that little chinese japanese guy shoot eight people...." has no need to mention his ethnicity. Your reply of "I believe the suspect is Laotian" comes across as smug and even condescending. Laotian, Chinese, Japanese - doesn't matter and doesn't really need to be pointed out in the original post; should have been something like "why on gods green earth would some madman...."

If you wanted to introduce the Hmong issue, your statement is, indeed, snooty, in that we should all know about the plight of the Hmong and if we don't, we're somehow intellectually inferior to you. You should have elaborated so that we could all be educated on their plight.

And then, it still wouldn't have made shooting 8 people right. The guy knew enough to fill out the forms to get a hunting license... I would therfore assume (yes, I know the risks) that he could read "Private Property" or "No Trespassing" signs then.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:35 PM

im not racist but id call that guy any name i wanted and you could go fly a kite. im pretty sure slimpickin is just fired up about this idiot and wasnt implying that the whole race of people are like that. let it go and get back to the thread
Old 11-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
What I don't understand is why nobody shot the wingnut? If somebody's shooting at me I'm gonna shoot back.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:39 PM

So, back to the original issue at hand...

"Residents have complained that the Hmong, refugees from Laos, do not understand the concept of private property and hunt wherever they see fit. In Minnesota, a fistfight once broke out after Hmong hunters crossed onto private land, said Ilean Her, director of the Council on Asian Pacific Minnesotans, based in St. Paul."

If the foreigners don't know the laws, or won't respect the laws, then they need to be deported. Our country, our laws. Their country, their laws. Remember that guy who got caught spraying graffiti all over some stuff in one of those Oriental countries. Their laws said the punishment is caning, and that's exactly what he got eventhough the liberal media/gov't tried to intervene.

This goes along w/ the same thing as immigrants who can't speak a word of English. Why move to a country where you can't communicate w/ anybody? Why move to a country and not try to learn/respect their laws and culture?

It's sad it had to happen that way. It burns me up. Stuff like that is singled out and the liberals make sound like more of a widespread problem than it really is and then they start passing laws that infringe on law abiding citizen's rights and privileges.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:54 PM
Chapter President

"White Guy" is the only generalization that you can use and not get in trouble for being raciest. That don't seem fair either, but nobody takes up for us.

It's too bad the guy turned out to have citizenship.......otherwise we could have caned him before he's executed.

I haven't heard the whole story, but I know some "redneck" type guys from up there that would have had a few nasty things to say to some jerk hunting on their deer stand. We had a similar feud down here with the Viet Nam folks fishing in restricted waters. It will be interesting to find out the whole story.

In advance: I'm sorry if calling someone a "jerk" offends anyone.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Any ethinic group that has come to this country has had to adjust, learn English, and learn our laws, to assimilate into our country. Part of the problem is these "new" groups are not "paying their dues" that our ansestors did. There was no welfare 150 years ago. If you didn't work you starved. Today, they get rent paid, utilities paid, food for free, no work, and they don't have to pay it back. Where is the incentive to learn our laws? The faster they learn the faster they get thrown off welfare.

Having said that, there is no culture that condones killing 6 people for tresspassing. This guy was a nut job in any culture.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:26 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm not jumping to the guy's defense, but people can do some pretty crazy things when their lost. Ie: hiding from their rescuers.....
On the surface, I agree the guy should be hung. I would like a little more info before I pulled the lever though....

Quick Reply: wisconsin hunting disaster