Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wires under Laminate Flooring

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dan239
Shane

You should reconsider a sawcut in a concrete slab. It could invite a crack later on and then you would have other problems. Go behind trim boards if possible. or at the edge of the wood flooring.

Daniel
Just think of it as CONTROLLED cracking. We sawcut concrete all the time for the sole purpose of making it crack where we WANT it to crack.

Seriously though, making a 1/8" or even a 1/4" sawcut in the top of a 6"-8" post-tensioned slab isn't really going to invite cracks...especially when your foundation is sitting on solid limestone like mine is. In clay soils where you have heaving under the slab it might be a different story, but not where I'm at.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Hoss, the problem there might be that because the laminate " migrates" up to an 1/8 inch as the temp and humidity change, there would eventually be chafing onthe wiring, causeing a failure orshort.You'd then havetotake the floor up to replacethe wires. If the grooveis run in straight runs and he leaves an access somewhere, you could replace the wiresin it with a fish-tape.
I installedalaminatefloorin our place and the instructions fromteh manufactor talk about the floor migrating and it so they require you to leave 1/4 inch of open space on each side of the floor under the baseboards.
While that is true, it would take a LONG time for a migrating laminate floor to wear enough on a speaker wire to expose the conductor...if it ever happened at all. Besides, if the speaker wires have less thickness than the pad under the flooring then the flooring will never touch the wires anyway...especially if you have the duct tape over them.

It is probably BETTER to cut a groove, but in my opinion it isn't essential.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hoss
.....It is probably BETTER to cut a groove, but in my opinion it isn't essential.
If I just had speaker wire to run under the flooring I would do it as you suggested. I've got the sat cable to run as well. It's about 3/16" thick.

I had a garage built last fall. The concrete contractor came back a couple weeks after he poured the slab and sawcut it lengthwise and across. It hasn't cracked yet, although I do keep the garage heated.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:17 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by berner
If I just had speaker wire to run under the flooring I would do it as you suggested. I've got the sat cable to run as well. It's about 3/16" thick.

I had a garage built last fall. The concrete contractor came back a couple weeks after he poured the slab and sawcut it lengthwise and across. It hasn't cracked yet, although I do keep the garage heated.
One of the BOSS's uncles runs one of the larger concrete company's around here...When we built the house, he told me that if a concrete slab wasnt cracked, it just hadnt settled yet..meaning that they all will crack tro a certain extent eventually. The expansion cuts just try to control how much and where they will crack