Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wireless network connection and Vista.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything is G that I have. Thanks for all the ideas and keep them coming!
Old 12-31-2007, 07:48 PM

You already know your problem....

You take the machine to other wireless networks and it connects just fine. Its not vista, its not your machine, its your wireless router.

Throw it away and get another one.. they are disposable and die at random with random quirks.. happens all the time.

You can spend hours upon hours troubleshooting it but routers are $50.. save the headaches bro!
Old 12-31-2007, 08:02 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally Posted by Timmay2
You already know your problem....

You take the machine to other wireless networks and it connects just fine. Its not vista, its not your machine, its your wireless router.

Throw it away and get another one.. they are disposable and die at random with random quirks.. happens all the time.

You can spend hours upon hours troubleshooting it but routers are $50.. save the headaches bro!
That's kind of what I wanted to say but he is so down on Vista I didn't figure he would believe it.

Britt

Old 12-31-2007, 08:19 PM

I agree vista sucks a big one . there is way to many security settings on there that it makes it a big pain, I am going to try and see if I can downgrade the OS to some thing else. I have 2 old laptops that work just fine with any wifi, all have to do is turn it on. then I get a new one with vista and it only barily conects at home.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:48 PM

Ok, I have solved all my wireless issues now. It was an easy fix for me and my own fault. HOWEVER, that problem is not the reason for my opinion of vista! I just dont understand why an os has to require so much memory to run! It sucks having 1.5gigs and still waiting up to 5 minutes for everything to get going! It reminds me of an old tube type radio! It seems like we have come so far that now we are going back to were we came from. Dont get me wrong, I think we could use some of that in certain things but not in the computer world. Think about it, every where you go now days you see someone text messaging on their phone! Its like a glorified version of morse code if you ask me!! Ok, im done now and thanks for all the help guys. Like always I knew yall would help. I am getting a text message from my girl friend now so I got to go reply!
Old 01-01-2008, 04:58 PM

So what was the problem?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:52 PM

I had an issue with a little blue heeler who thought that the CAT5 cable from the modem to the router needed a hole punched in it. I guess he broke one of the wires in the cable itself and that was my issue. At least its fixed now. I was just lookin at the cable for some reason and it looks like he just grabed it and bit it one time. Its not chewed up, just one little bite mark in it. No telling how long its been that way but thats all I could find and its working great after changing it.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by DmaxEter
It sucks having 1.5gigs and still waiting up to 5 minutes for everything to get going!

1.5 gigs is the standard for circa 2003.

Try 4gb.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:54 PM

My 6 year old laptop with 256mb and XP blows this one out of the water! Everyone I talked to seems to thing that 1.5gigs is enough to run vista and 2.0 is plenty to run it efficiently. I just aint seeing it! Its all good, when this one has its fits I always got old faithful sitting in the closet ready to go. Only reason I bought a new one is cause the case on my old one was literally worn out! I can still make do with it so its always there if I need it.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Muted User

My Dlink router was not connecting my Vista machine, but would connect all 3 other XP machines no problem. Microsoft email me a hotfix, that didn't work, Dlink couldn't help me either. What fixed it was resetting the router with a paperclip, it's been 2 months now, still works perfect, and I bought another Vista laptop which works first time around. For some reason some routers have a hard time issuing an IP address to a Vista machine.