Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wireless network connection and Vista.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wireless network connection and Vista.

First, I just got to say it, I HATE VISTA! Now that that is out of the way, on to the problem this week. I go to log on to my wireless network at my house and it says "connected local only." Normally it says "connected local and internet." I cant make it log on to my wireless network the right way and lord knows I cant figure out how to make it do it. I can take it to another wireless network and log on just fine. I have had this problem in the past one other time but it just started working again. I have ruled out hardware failures with my router or modem. I just dont get it. Oh yeah, while I am asking questions about it, sometimes when I shut my screen on my lap top and come back later, it wont pick up my wireless network unless I shut the thing down and start over. I dont have a clue about that one either. I can search for available networks and it wont find any. Shut it down and start back up and there they are like normal. I have tried to restart to solve the "local only" issue but it makes no difference. I am at my witts end! XP never had issues!
Old 12-29-2007, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DmaxEter
First, I just got to say it, I HATE VISTA! Now that that is out of the way, on to the problem this week. I go to log on to my wireless network at my house and it says "connected local only." Normally it says "connected local and internet." I cant make it log on to my wireless network the right way and lord knows I cant figure out how to make it do it. I can take it to another wireless network and log on just fine. I have had this problem in the past one other time but it just started working again. I have ruled out hardware failures with my router or modem. I just dont get it. Oh yeah, while I am asking questions about it, sometimes when I shut my screen on my lap top and come back later, it wont pick up my wireless network unless I shut the thing down and start over. I dont have a clue about that one either. I can search for available networks and it wont find any. Shut it down and start back up and there they are like normal. I have tried to restart to solve the "local only" issue but it makes no difference. I am at my witts end! XP never had issues!

vista has some problems with wireless networking that will need worked out sooner or later, try resetting your modem, then reset your wireless router.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the reply so quick. I have reset the modem and router so many times to try to correct it till I think the buttons are worn out!
Old 12-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kind of modem and routher do you have? If you have a Linksys, use their software to connect to the router.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:01 PM

Thanks again. I learned the hard way about Linksys. I have a Motorola modem with a Belkin router. Pretty basic stuff but it works.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Chapter President

I have the Motorola modem with the Linksys. My first Linksys setup was a real pain, but with the new setup program on their site, it's about as easy as it gets.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:40 PM

I had hardware issues with my linksys but the belkin has been kickin butt since I bought it about two years ago! I just got to figure out now how to make my computer log on as local and internet and I will be set!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:23 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I too hate vista.

I have to broadcast my ssid on my router to get vista to reliably connect.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
belkins dont like Motorola modems haha, i found that out too many times.

but if your getting a connection from your wireless computer to a wired computer/router, and not to the internet, normally there is something wrong with the router settings, unplugging the router for about 20 minutes should fully reset it. use windows wireless connection program and not the one that came with your router.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Banned

Dont tell me this I am getting my new computer with vista in a couple days
Old 12-30-2007, 03:40 AM

I have been using a Belkin router with a Motorola modem for years and although I am on my third router that they keep replacing for free I cannot see any way that I could blame the modem for their failures.
As to the logging on to the internet problem is concerned it sounds as though you might be using MAC filtering which would allow you to connect to your LAN but lock you out of your WAN.Try to disable MAC filtering temporarily and see if that helps.If it does then add your MAC address to the list of clients in the MAC filtering portion of your router setup software.Ron G
Old 12-30-2007, 06:32 AM

I'm having no trouble running a D-Link router with Vista. Just another option.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:39 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

I guess I'm the only one in the world that actually likes Vista. In fact I love it. I had much more problems out of XP than Vista. In fact, and I hate to say this, but so far I haven't had any problems whatsoever out of Vista (not even a lock up). As of right now it is the most stable OS that I have ever used. Yes I know it is a memory hog but I have 2 Gigs so that isn't a problem.

As far as your network problem goes my only suggestion would be to unplug the router and modem for 10 secs. or more (don't just turn them off with a switch) and restart them. You may have already done this though and if you have then I really don't have any other suggestions (aside from tossing your router). From my own personal experience I have had much more luck with a combo modem/router instead of two separate units. At one of the Fire Stations that I work at on overtime they have a set-up pretty much like yours and it is much less stable. Seems like everyone there has a problem staying connected and it says the same thing that your computer is saying. They are constantly having to reset the router and modem to make it work.

It could also be your signal strength coming into your house but that might be a stretch.

These are just thoughts but I may just be showing my ignorance.

Britt

Old 12-30-2007, 01:01 PM

Thanks guys, keep em coming! I have used the router/modem combo for a couple years and its been great. I dont understand how it can be working great when I walk away and when I come back I get this crap! I am about to give up and find me an old used computer. You know, back before vista when you didnt have to have a super computer for personal used due to all the memory usage required!
Old 12-31-2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by DmaxEter
What is the speed on the wireless card vs the router. I know it is not supposed to be the case but from my experience some of the early B band, 11Mps, will not play well with G, 54Mps and vice versa. If you do go for a new router I am a huge D Link fan and netgear is pretty good too.

For all you vista fans out there:
http://blimptv.blogspot.com/2007/11/vista-sucks.html

It is uber funny

I hear Microsoft will support XP up until something like 2011 so I am not changing anytime soon and when I do, I will most likely get a Mac.

Quick Reply: Wireless network connection and Vista.