Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wireless internet/ laptop gurus , i need some help here

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdram
My Linksys craps out all the time: its too hot outside, it rained, there was thunder/lightning nearby, its Saturday, my wife was wearing her tin foil radiation shield helmet too close to the modem etc. etc. etc.....
I always turn off my DSL modem and my router, wait a minute then turn everything back on and I seem to be okay again (until one of the above occurs again). You could also check to see if the firmware in the router needs reloaded (or upgraded). I know on occassion, I have had to re-install the firmware for my Linksys.
No more Linksys for me when it finally goes (this is my second unit from them).

~Rob
I set my router up with a cooling fan and it helps a lot. It used to lock up when it got hot.
I have a client that I installed the server and all switches, router, modem in a small office and with the door closed if the AC is off it will get up to 100* in the room and the whole system gets unstable.
I installed the router and 48 port switch in a rack and have a fan blowing air over it and now it rarely locks up.
Both SBC and Verizon using the Westell modems tell you have to keep them cool or they will be unstable in the instructions.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:16 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Open the internet connection and click repair. See what happens.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:16 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by kcastun
Alright , Before SP2 , it would connect to the router , but if i tried a browser or messneger , there was no connection , the first time i had trouble my wireless speed varied anywhere from 11-54 mbps , and all points inbetween.

After SP2, if i go into wireless connections , it shows the router in my apt (it is for the whole building) but if i select it , and hit connect, it tries to connect , but it never does.

None of the other people in the building have problems , so it is not the router , but for the record i have tried re booting it.

Aside from this problem , since installing SP2 , i have MULTIPLE other problems , various errors , etc that i did not have before, such as actually shutting itself off after i open certain applications that worked flawlessly before , and the whole machine seems to run slower than snot IMO.

This is a brand new computer! (angry)

To me it sounds like the wireless card gave up the ghost , but if i go into my device manager , it says it is fine...

I will try some of the suggestions tomorrow , as i just now got in and it is 1 15 am. I am actually using my desktop right now, but i want my laptop to work again.
Check the Microsoft Knowledge Base..
There are answers to the problems.
Jim
Old 09-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aside from this problem , since installing SP2 , i have MULTIPLE other problems , various errors , etc that i did not have before, such as actually shutting itself off after i open certain applications that worked flawlessly before , and the whole machine seems to run slower than snot IMO.

Have you ran a virus check recently?

phox
Old 09-22-2005, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounding more and more like a hi-jacker and spyware.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:51 PM
JKM

Ok , i tried hitting the repair button , and it got as far as trying to connect to the network , which it couldn't do.

And i am also having trouble with multiple programs crashing since the install of SP2, programs that did not crash right before i installed SP2.

ARGH! i hate comptuers some days. one thing is for sure , i won't be putting SP2 on my desktop for a long time coming. it has been pestering me for almost a year to do so , but i refuse , and now with my laptop problems , i have even more reason.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:46 PM

Ok , i tried hitting the repair button , and it got as far as trying to connect to the network , which it couldn't do.

And i am also having trouble with multiple programs crashing since the install of SP2, programs that did not crash right before i installed SP2.

ARGH! i hate comptuers some days. one thing is for sure , i won't be putting SP2 on my desktop for a long time coming. it has been pestering me for almost a year to do so , but i refuse , and now with my laptop problems , i have even more reason.
Having a computer in bad shape BEFORE SP2 is what causes the problems.

And youll continue to have problems with spyware and viruses unless you get SP2 on it.

SP2 is not bad. Microsofts not out to get you. Relax and update your machines and fix security flaws.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Administrator

If you think SP2 is a problem then remove it and see if the problems still exist.
Start, Control Panel, Add Remove Programs. then uninstall it.
There might be a hotfix for the problem.
What OS are you running on the problem computer? Home or Pro
Old 11-19-2005, 12:21 PM
JKM

Hmm , this is an old one , seems i sort of forgot about it, I ended up deleting the driver , then reinstalling it, and that appeared to fix my problem.

I have since had the same problem, it seems that certain networks i try to use somehow damage my wireless card driver.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:32 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't uninstall SP2!! You're asking for trouble if you do that. If for some reason this keeps happening, instead of kiliing and re-installing the card, you can try a couple of things from the command line first, then re-boot the machine. If that doesn't work, THEN re-install the driver.

From the command line, do this.

netsh winsock reset catalog (enter)
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt (enter)
ipconfig /flushdns (enter)

Reboot, see what happens.

Old 11-19-2005, 03:40 PM
JKM

What exactly do you mean by command line Jack?
Old 11-19-2005, 04:43 PM

What exactly do you mean by command line Jack?
Click on START and then RUN.

Type in (or copy/paste) the commands Jack listed in his post.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:48 PM

Wink Wireless Problems

First thing I would look into is in the device manager, Windows Laptops usually have Wireless Cards, set so that when you unplug the computer, and run on battery, the computer puts things into "sleep mode" on certain componets, IE wireless cards are default that way. I have run into similar problems, ie the laptop is unplugged, moved, and when the card is put into sleep mode, it doesnt wake back up when its supposed too, and if you doubt me .. think about Windows XP .. does it work at all anymore flawless? Heck NO, ( good thing no truck computers run windows Xp.)
Another thing to do to check if the router is blocking internet transmissions to your computer is to go to your Start Button, click on RUN. type in CMD, or command, try one or the other, some Os's like one but not the other. A Dos looking box opens, , type in IPCONFIG /ALL, it will list a IP address, a gateway .. etc etc.. If you dont have a IP .. check to make sure your cable is connected, isnt damaged (doh im dumb this is wireless, disreguard the cable thingy), NO IP no talking to the Router/Hub even if it says your connected on the bottom right of your screen.
If you have an IP and a gateway, type; Ping (Ip address) example is 192.168.1.110 and it should PING 4 times ... (ping the gateway address, if you ping the IP your pinging your computer.. lol)
If it doesnt come back, ask a buddy to help ya out, if it does ping back, your hitting the router, again .. unless who ever owned the Router changed the settings, you should have to worry about reconfiguring your IP settings and firewall settings. Firewalls usually only remove the access for your Buddys on the same router from going into your computer and taking your **** ... or whatever else you might not want them to see.
This isnt a complete guide, cause i'd need like 100 pages for that ... but my best bet first is the sleep mode, cause windows sucks, second, ask the routers owner if he changed any Ip or subnet mask settings.
I know i might have put a few errors in my posting there... but try not to flame me too badly,.. its 2 am in Iraq and I should be in bed ... **** Mortars lol...they keep waking me up.

Peace out All....
Btw anyone out there Live around the Fort Campbell, KY/TN Area.

Dangousity

More Power is More Fun

Last edited by Dangousity; 11-19-2005 at 04:51 PM. Reason: I forgot to add a few words
Old 11-19-2005, 04:57 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Uninstalling Service Pack 2 is sure fire way to make sure you will be starting over with NONE of your data and a fresh, reloaded version of windows.
Don't ask how I know
Old 11-21-2005, 04:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
kcastun,
What kind of wireless card do you have installed? Intel or Broadcom?
I have seen issues with the Intel ProSet being loaded while the default wireless config is through Microsoft XP SP2. Can have one or the other but not both. Will have issues of seeing the router SID but cannot connect to it.
Trying to remember if Broadcom software has the same issue with the MS XP.

MikeyB

Quick Reply: Wireless internet/ laptop gurus , i need some help here