Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

wireless internet

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 09:48 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wireless internet

I just got myself a new toy today , an acer notebook , like it very much , got the wide screen and the dvd burner.

my question is , i have a few buddies with wireless networks , how do i log on to them , and go online?

i have never dealt with this before, i have hear people talk about driving around looking for wireless networks , or bumming off of the guy down the street , how does one go about that?

I'm not too worried about the legality part of it right now, as i will probably never do this often, but i am curious to try it.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:58 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Well, if the WiFi is left in it's default unlocked down condition then all you need is a wireless adapter in your notebook. If his is locked down then you will need to have the KEY to be able to use his network. The instructions for the WiFI card will show you how to do it. It's pretty simple.

Edwin
Old 07-30-2005, 10:03 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: wireless internet

Originally posted by kcastun

I'm not too worried about the legality part of it right now, as i will probably never do this often, but i am curious to try it.
Honest Judge....I only robbed one liquor store because I was curious.....It's not like I am a criminal or anything like that

Got news for you, you take something that doesn't belong to you, you are a thief. Doesn't matter if you only do it once in awhile, or just want to try it because you are curious.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:03 PM
JKM

i am already setup for wireless, i guess i might have to read the instructions
Old 07-30-2005, 10:10 PM

Re: Re: wireless internet

Originally posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Honest Judge....I only robbed one liquor store because I was curious.....It's not like I am a criminal or anything like that

Got news for you, you take something that doesn't belong to you, you are a thief. Doesn't matter if you only do it once in awhile, or just want to try it because you are curious.
Now Top... What ever happened to stealing from the rich and giving to the poor?
Old 07-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Re: Re: wireless internet

Originally posted by A-Poc
Now Top... What ever happened to stealing from the rich and giving to the poor?
That makes you a POPULAR thief
Old 07-30-2005, 10:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just go to the wireless properties (usually found in the sys tray at the bottom right hand corner of the screen) and do a scan for wireless networks. The scan will show each network within the radio range and also if it's locked or not.

MikeyB
Old 07-30-2005, 11:22 PM

kcastsun, the easy part is letting folks enjoy a broadband wireless capability - no effort is required; the tough part is keeping those you DON'T want on it - OFF.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by bulabula
kcastsun, the easy part is letting folks enjoy a broadband wireless capability - no effort is required; the tough part is keeping those you DON'T want on it - OFF.
That's why you enable the WEP key and hide the SSID.

MikeyB
Old 07-31-2005, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by MikeyB
Just go to the wireless properties (usually found in the sys tray at the bottom right hand corner of the screen) and do a scan for wireless networks. The scan will show each network within the radio range and also if it's locked or not.

MikeyB
As I recall I remember him showing me this new toy and well, he opened the network, searched the network, connected to some host, and it'd say we were connected in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. However it didn't seem as if we were able to use the internet because no web browser seemingly would connect... What went wrong?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:28 AM

Re: Re: wireless internet

Originally posted by Lary Ellis (Top)

I use my laptop in my truck with a GPS unit when I travel. I have had my system connect to a wireless network while waiting at a stoplight. I checked my email before the light went green. You can only use the networks that people have set up for open access. It isn't like you are "breaking in" to them, they have chosen to leave them open and share their existance. My system automatically scans for a network and connects to it if it is open.

My home network is not shared but I live in a small town and if you stopped near my house, all of the neighbors would come out to see just who the new person was.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:37 AM

MikeyB, hiding the SSID is pretty much useless (falls in the same category as MAC address filtering). That only keeps out the wireless illiterates - those aren't the folks who you are concerned with from attacking your network anyways.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:43 AM
JKM

Originally posted by MikeyB

MikeyB
call me wireless illiterate , but how the heck do i do a scan?

and if i do find something, how the heck do i connect to it?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:49 AM

What OS are you running? XP? If so, do you have SP2 installed? If its a brand new notebook and wireless ready, I bet you do; so try a search in the help portion of XP on "connecting to a wireless network". It'll pretty much do a scan all by itself and connect to the best signal hands off. A dialogue box will be available for you to connect to by clicking on it. If you don't know the owner of the network, nor have permission to access it, you should ask first.

Are you sure your new computer has the hardware for a wireless connection? The hardware is sometimes optional.

Not sure about your neighborhood, but I've got 4-5 wireless networks here in mine. All but 2 have some kind of protection enabled. Maybe your location doesn't have any wireless networks to connect to.?
Old 07-31-2005, 09:03 AM
JKM

well it must be setup for wireless because i'm sittin infront of a hotel right now, 230 miles from home, but i still don't know what i am doing.

it does not have sp2 installed, but yes it is brand new.

Quick Reply: wireless internet