Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Will I get shocked if I hold a starter. Need to raise trailer.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:42 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Ramer Jamer
WE HAVE A WINNER That's exactly what I need. I have those same jack's,,,mine is the 2 speed on the page above. As long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg,,,that's what I'll get. I hope it will work with a 2 speed jack.

I checked out a Milwaukee 1/2" drill. I didn't realize those thing's had that much torque. 550 ft pound's. That's more than my Milwaukee 1/2" impact gun. Heck, if that thing bind's,,it'll break my arm.

Keep the idea's coming. I have a feeling I'm going to be sticker shocked on the jack motor. I tried calling, but they aren't open yet.
I think that's 550 INCH pounds. They also have a clutch you can set to limit the torque. And they have very nice handles that you don't have to design and build, like for the other motors. Plus, the drill has many other uses and can be re-charged from the twelve volt system in your rig. It is also waiting for you at the hardware store or Home Depot, no ordering. It's a no brainer.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
One thing I would like to add is that starter motors are designed for short duration, high torque applications. While it will work in continous service, it would develop a large amount of heat in it's windings, and could shorten its lifespan significantly.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raspy
I think that's 550 INCH pounds.
550 inch pounds is only 46 ft/lbs, which is next to nothing. I have a 1/2 inch drill that could break your wrist from the torque if a bit jams.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:50 PM

It is only 550 in pound's. But it's still more than Dewalt's comparable drill.

I actually picked one up today. I talked to Milwaukee, and they feel confidant it will work. If not,,,I have 30 day's to return it no question's asked.

I'll let you guy's know if it work's. If not,,,we get to start all over again.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:05 PM

Please do. 550 inch pounds doesn't seem like enough, but I have been wrong lots of other times.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 PM

550 in. lb. = 45 ft. lb.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rampage1967
550 in. lb. = 45 ft. lb.

I rounded up, you must be using the new math.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:40 AM

Well it raised it pretty quick. It took 2 batteries. They both thermo-ed into off. Milwaukee has a built in protection circuit. One cooled real quick and had a 3/4 charge left and was ready for more. They have a fuel gauge showing the charge left. The other took for ever to cool, and is now dead. I'm glad I have a 30 day return policy.

The only other option is to try a 24 volt right angle drill. It has 1081 in pound's of torque. That's twice of the drill I tried. Only problem is they have to special order it. I don't know if I would have the 30 day policy with it being a special order. Seem's like I should. It's Milwaukee's policy.

You guy's think I should try it. Or, I'm still open to other idea's.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:16 PM

I worked in an industrial starter and alternator shop for years, and can tell you the outboard starter wouldn't work long. As stated above, they are made for quick bursts of torque. Thats why we are warned to not crank on the starter for long periods of time. Plus it would be impossible for you to hold it without some sort of bracket.

I would recommend finding an RV store and look at the setup on their landing gear on 5th wheels. I bought a new landing gear motor for less than $100 for my RV, and if you look at that setup there is not much involved if you had to fab it yourself. There are also kits for adding electric landing gear to RV's without it. Thats the route I would check in to as thats its intended purpose.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:49 PM

So the Bull Dog setup, which is bolt on, no fabrication, is out of your price range?
Old 06-14-2008, 07:34 PM

Here's a simple solution. Stop by harbor freight and pick up a twenty dollar 1/2" drive cordless impact. Keep an onboard converter, and a battery charger.

You'll never have to crank it again If someone else mentioned it I apologize, i was too lazy to read..
Old 06-14-2008, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by GAmes
So the Bull Dog setup, which is bolt on, no fabrication, is out of your price range?

Yes it is a little out of my price range at $500. But I also talked to a tech from there and he didn't seem to think it would work. I believe I MIGHT have more than 7,500 pound's on the jack's at time's. He said they seem to bind when you load them to the max.

After we hung up, I got to thinking he was misunderstanding what I was wanting to do. The way he was talking, it's made for a single speed jack. Well I have a 2 speed that I would use on low. They do make one for a 2 speed. I need to call them back. Even if I had to fab a mounting bracket, that would be slick. I just need to save up my pennie's if I want the conveinance of that.

The next thing I'm going to try is an electric Milwaukee right angle drill that I all ready have. That thing has smashed my hand more than once. If it work's, I might just buy an inverter.

I don't think the rv slide out deal has enough torque. And buy the time I would buy everything needed, it's gettin close to $500. My original idea 2 year's ago was an electric winch like on my trailer. I could put a chain and sprocket on that.

I know I'm about to go nut's trying to figure something out.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
Here's a simple solution. Stop by harbor freight and pick up a twenty dollar 1/2" drive cordless impact. Keep an onboard converter, and a battery charger.

You'll never have to crank it again If someone else mentioned it I apologize, i was too lazy to read..
I all ready tried that. Because of the back and forth IMPACTING action,,,it won't work.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:33 PM
alwaysonDTR

if there was 110 volts available then the milalkie hole hawg or the superhawg it has a clutch and some power, just a thought
Old 06-15-2008, 12:41 AM

Well here's the exact one that will fit my jack. And it's in my price range. This say's it's rated at 8000#'s at the hitch. How do I tell what I have at the hitch. I guess weigh the rear axle with the trailer on,,,then take it off, weigh again, and subtract. Right. If so,,I think I did that all ready in another thread.

http://store.towshop.com/store/more_...Category_ID=84

Attached Thumbnails Will I get shocked if I hold a starter. Need to raise trailer.-binkleypowerpac-web.jpg  

Quick Reply: Will I get shocked if I hold a starter. Need to raise trailer.