Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wife needs a new ride... your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Both my sons have Jeeps - - they love them. The one has 156,000 on his 2002 - - still looks new, zero in repair bills. The other has 241,000 on his, replaced the main bearings but nothing else (???) and it is running great and it is lucky to get an oil change every 10,000 miles. He has now relegated that one to the "around the house" vehicle and bought a newer one for out and about.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Gelaendewagen (Pre MBUSA), hands down.

Saving up for a diesel import for my fiance.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:34 PM

my sister and grandmas all got that lexus suv, its very nice, i like how the back seat will recline
Old 04-24-2006, 08:22 PM

Justin,
Do the RX-330 (now the RX-350)/Highlander or the MDX offer 3rd row seating? Our RX-300 doesn't have it (not offered when it was purchased), nor was it offered in the MDX (when we looked a few years ago)?

~Rob
Old 04-24-2006, 08:34 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Have you looked at the Nissan Armada?
I have a friend with a titan (same platform as the armada)
For the truck, its 18 mpg
Well balanced (in 4x4, it handles like a rally car)
Comfortable
Old 04-24-2006, 08:35 PM

Whew, I was going to suggest the new R class from Mercedes because it has 3 rows (that way you could keep it in the Daimler-Benz family ), but the "cheap" one starts at $48K

EDIT: Maybe that is not out of your range, I know it is out of mine. Good luck.
~Rob
Old 04-24-2006, 08:56 PM

i would say the Pathfinder or the Pilot.
both have good re-sale value and longevity.
and the Nissan has one of the best drivetrains i the world
and the Honda well its Honda....need any one say more?

there not American but the Nissan would have been almost built in Tenn. so thats not bad.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cmnspwr
Mercedes Gelaendewagen (Pre MBUSA), hands down.

Saving up for a diesel import for my fiance.

Aren't these funny little things like $90k to $103k , or is that a different model that looks similar?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:52 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Pathfinder or the Infiniti. The QX 56 has 7-8 seating and is based on the Titan and Armada chassis. There is also the FX 45. If those are to big for you then there is the QX4 which is a fancy Pathfinder.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdram
Justin,
Do the RX-330 (now the RX-350)/Highlander or the MDX offer 3rd row seating? Our RX-300 doesn't have it (not offered when it was purchased), nor was it offered in the MDX (when we looked a few years ago)?

~Rob
I was under the impression that the MDX offered 7 pax but maybe I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure the Pilot does.

Likewise, the Highlander offers 7 pax, but the RX350 does not. I think the luxo models are targeted to a demographic that doesn't have young kids. Grandkids, perhaps-- but not young kids.

After further briefing from Commander In Chief, Home Theater-- I've been informed that 7 pax seating isn't a must, but it has to have good room if it only seats 5.

As for the Nissans, I have to say that I'm inclined to look at them because my ownership experience with my 97 Maxima has been superb. The total amount of non-ruotine maintenance it has needed in 6 years and 100K of ownership is $0! Just oil & filter changes, brake pads, shocks, tranny fluid, tires, and a pair of fuel filters. Best of all, it has been FUN to drive while offering comfortable interior and decent mpg (30 if babied, though 26 is more typical).

So, on this experience alone, I feel I *have* to consider a Nissan-- I owe it strong consideration based on positive experience.

I also like the Nissan interiors a lot. I like the fact that you can get 7 pax seating that is 2+2+3 instead of the more typical 2+3+2. Those Captains chairs in the middle make rear access a little easier and car seats are a snap.

My only fear of Nissans is that I had a friend that had a Pathfinder with more gremlins than a B-17. Electrical system on that thing was in need of exorcism for sure. That said, I believe the P.O. of the vehicle tried to install a lot of aftermarket electronics and FUBARed it quite badly.

Nissan's styling as of late is a little avante-garde for me, but styling lacks pretty low overall, or so we keep telling each other.

Justin
Old 04-25-2006, 06:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdram
Whew, I was going to suggest the new R class from Mercedes because it has 3 rows (that way you could keep it in the Daimler-Benz family ), but the "cheap" one starts at $48K

EDIT: Maybe that is not out of your range, I know it is out of mine. Good luck.
~Rob
Let's just say that the day I buy a 48K vehicle is the day I can write a check for it! Which is to say, not happening any time in the next 20 years.

Heck, the 31K I paid for the truck was too much.

My personal "guidance of thumb" is that if you can't afford the payments on a 3 year loan, you can't afford the vehicle. I would say "rule", but I'd prefer not to call it that having broken it so much.

That said, I tend to keep vehicle as long as I can, so financing longer doesn't bother me so much. I still think the 3yr "guidance" is good policy, though.

jh
Old 04-25-2006, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
I was under the impression that the MDX offered 7 pax but maybe I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure the Pilot does.

Justin
I stand corrected, the MDX does offer 7 passenger seating. I don't remember that in the one we looked at, but it has been a few years. The new RDX looks cool too, but I don't think it has 7 passenger seating.
We test drove a Pilot and it had 3 row seating. However, after driving the Lexus and MDX we never considered the Pilot again.

$30k is the new $20k in the car market
~Rob
Old 04-25-2006, 06:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JD Dearden
No offense dude but jeeps suck.
Agree.

Hohn, It's all about resale. Toyota rocks.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:38 AM

Location: Dayton, NJ (temporarily while In USCG on Staten Island)
Just get her a CTD
Old 04-25-2006, 07:33 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
If possible try to rent each of the candidates for a week and ask for the rental co for the one with the most miles on it- you will get to know how you feel after some hours of driving and you won't be out of the $$$ you would have spent if you had bought it.
I've got very good experiences with the Toyota LandCruisers. (Father in law almost 200 k miles 0 Euros except regular maintenance and crash parts, vehicle has been submerged etc but took no harm- my own HJ60 with 100 k miles in 4Low in Africa and almost 300k miles total- most of them in desert and sahel conditions, no engine, drivetrain or electrical troubles.- rusted away peacefully )

AlpineRAM

Quick Reply: Wife needs a new ride... your thoughts?