Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wife needs a new ride... your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 03:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wife needs a new ride... your thoughts?

Car shopping sucks as a car guy! The more you know, the worse it gets.

So far I've been able to narrow it down to a couple choices:

1) Toyota Highlander
2) Toyota Four Runner
3) Acura MDX
4) Honda Pilot
5) Lexus RX330
6) Nissan Murano
7) Nissan Pathfinder

Note that #5 is a fancy version of #1, and #3 is a fancy version of #4.

Criteria?

-- Three rows of seats. If it only has two rows, I might was well buy a sedan and get better performance and MPG.

-- Kid friendly. Car seats have to fit easily and quickly go in and out (LATCH is a must). Vehicle has to sit high enough to where my wife and I don't have to bend over so much to install the gov't-mandated safety crapola. I'm over 6', and wifey is 5'10", so tall is good in our case.

-- "quality". I mean interior fit and finish, decent drivetrain, sound deadening, etc. I'm not paying $30K+ for something that feels like I could make it for $1k with a MIG welder.

-- MPG matters, but not all important

-- Power is not a huge consideration. If performance was comparable to my 97 Maxima, then she'd be happy. I'm guessing in an SUV, this means 250hp+

-- Styling is only important to where it can't be butt-ugly (think Pontiac Aztek, Chevy Avalanche, etc)

I've realized that the most important part of a vehicle to us is the interior. Seat quality, A/C effectiveness, pollen filter, visibility, dash lighting, fit/finish-- THESE are what matter most.

After all, the interior is how you interact with the vehicle the most. I've ridden in so many vehicles that had terrible seat quality. There's NO reason why you should get out of a vehicle after a couple hours have have numb or sore legs. Shoulders/arms, yes-- but not hips and legs. They are just sitting there! My first Honda (1987 Accord) had the worst seats ever in a car!

So, we want a spacious SUV that gives easy access for car seats, looks ok, has REALLY good interior quality, gives reasonable performance and mpg, and seats 7.

Is there such an animal??? Or am I seeking a billet unobtainium custom ride??
(EDIT: though I say "I", my wife and I are on the same page-- if it was just me, we'd have a minivan)

Justin
Old 04-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have owned alot of cars as far as your list goes the very best value in my opinion is the Acura MDX, I personally own 2 Acura's right know. If you live in an area with weather you may want to look at the Volvo SUV it looks like crap on the internet but I was impressed when I saw it in person, it gets 22 miles per gal. And you can get it with all wheel drive. I tried to buy a Lexus for my wife the other day but the salesman acted like it was a privilage to buy own, plus their overpriced.

Also the Volvo has a really neat seat feature for little kids.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Banned

HOHN, I dont know if you have checked out the Jeep Commander but its worth looking at. i bought mine in Nov. All I can say is awsome, awsome, awsome. Its got everything your looking for. Milage will depend on motor size, mine has a Hemi, not so great 13-15 mpg. But it has plenty of get up and go. Interior is really nice and comfortable. I am 6'3" and am very comfortable as both driver and passenger. It has 3 rows of seating, and a number of different options to choose from such as back up sensors, DVD, NAV, a better than average stereo system and a bunch of other stuff. The exterior looks are nice but take a little getting used to. I didnt really care for it at first, but it has definetly grown on me. Most importantly, being a family man myself, it has gotten great safety reviews and I believe it comes with side curtain airbags from nose to tail standard. Definetly worth looking at. Ok Im done being a pitch man for DC.

Tom

Old 04-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Banned

No offense dude but jeeps suck.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD Dearden
No offense dude but jeeps suck.
Allrighty then No offense taken dude
Old 04-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

Well I guess I am just bitter because my wife's has cost me 8,000$ in the last 3 months, but I have alot of freinds who have them and they are nice. Plus my wife wants that new srt-8 grand cherokee so I should just shut-up.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Justin,

As I said on the "other" site where you raised this question - the Acura MDX.

Rusty
Old 04-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Banned

Well I guess I am just bitter because my wife's has cost me 8,000$ in the last 3 months, but I have alot of freinds who have them and they are nice. Plus my wife wants that new srt-8 grand cherokee so I should just shut-up.
Its allright there big fella, no worries. Not all vehicles are perfect, I hear people complaining about there CTD's on this site all the time, but Im sure most people wouldnt say they suck Ive never been a big fan of jeeps either, this is my first one. So far its been a terrific vehicle. Most importantly wifey loves it. Im sure youll agree, its all about keeping wifey happy.

Tom
Old 04-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Banned

Ya I would agree on that. After I looked at the pics though I noticed it was a diesel those look really interesting. Problem is I would start wrenching on that.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Banned

Ya I would agree on that. After I looked at the pics though I noticed it was a diesel those look really interesting. Problem is I would start wrenching on that.

Nope, not a diesel, its got a Hemi. The diesels were not available when I got it. Not sure when they will be out. Too bad, the diesel would of been nice. No complaints with the Hemi tho
Old 04-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Banned

Have you seen that new four door wrangler with the little bed?
Old 04-24-2006, 05:04 PM

Come on man, gotta get a RidgeLine!
Old 04-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ds1rider
Come on man, gotta get a RidgeLine!

Old 04-24-2006, 05:12 PM
Banned

Have you seen that new four door wrangler with the little bed?
Ive seen some conversions before. Is it factory made?
Old 04-24-2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by CASMOKIN
Ive seen some conversions before. Is it factory made?
I think it's a new model.

Quick Reply: Wife needs a new ride... your thoughts?