Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wife left seafood in car, help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately,
I hope it has not come to that.

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
If the 'juice' got into the seat foam, you're only solution will involve replacing the foam.
Otherwise you're just "putting a bandaid" on the problem.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Boatnik
OF course you can always take it a professional?
Been there already, all they did was cover up the smell for a few days.

If this OZIUM stuff does'nt work I will try fresh lemon juice or white vinegar as a final resort to replacing the seat foam.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:00 PM

What have you got to lose by trying the charcoal?
Old 02-25-2006, 07:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rammtuff
Yea, your next BBQ would have a distinctive shrimp on the barbie taste.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by rammtuff
Nothing,
but I cant see how it will help remove the smell from the seat But I will keep it in mind if the other stuff doesnt work.

Quote "Close the car up for a couple days in the hot sun and when you open the smell should be gone."
I live WA state, We wont see what I would call hot sun until June or July. Man the wife soooo owes me for this one.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:09 PM

Oh, I'm sure it did soak into the seat foam. There is a product out there that the school districts I work with use to get vomit smell from the seats of the buses. I'll get the name & post it Monday. In the meantime, the charcoal will work, but only for the surface stuff. You may want to see if you can get to the bottom of the seat cusshion & get a rag soaked with lemon juice (as someone suggested) in there & get it fairly wet. Lemon juice neutralizes seafood smell, BUT, it will destroy leather. If you do it from the bottom, it may just work for you.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 01350banshee
Man the wife soooo owes me for this one.
That's what I'M talking about. Man you could get injectors, Smarty, new rims. You can really cash in on this one.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by keithp777
Oh, I'm sure it did soak into the seat foam. There is a product out there that the school districts I work with use to get vomit smell from the seats of the buses. I'll get the name & post it Monday. In the meantime, the charcoal will work, but only for the surface stuff. You may want to see if you can get to the bottom of the seat cusshion & get a rag soaked with lemon juice (as someone suggested) in there & get it fairly wet. Lemon juice neutralizes seafood smell, BUT, it will destroy leather. If you do it from the bottom, it may just work for you.
Thanks,
please post it when you can. Here is catch 2 to the problem, the seat cushions are heated, I have to be very careful not to damage them.
Better yet:
FOR Sale 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
Excellent condition except for fishy smell.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
That's what I'M talking about. Man you could get injectors, Smarty, new rims. You can really cash in on this one.
HUMM.........., you maybe onto something. I have been eye balling new rims.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:30 AM

If that happened to me*, I'd consider just pulling the contaminated seat out of the vehicle and CAREFULLY remove the hog-rings holding the leather seatcovers on the seat's foam base. That's because you really can't clean that stuff out of there without destroying the leather.
Then, take that foam and wash the daylights out of it several times, and let it air dry completely. THEN spray all that magic plugmuckum on the seat foam before re-covering it with the leather that you also cleaned separately.
It might require an upholsterer to R&R the leather for you if Audi did a number on it...

*(Daughter left a gallon of BlueBell vanilla icecream in the back of Wifey's MiniVan and it soaked ALL through the carpet and even into the unibody . It was "fun" getting all that sticky crap out of the upholstery,carpet,wiring and rocker panels. )

K.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Geico266
First off, get all the mileage you can out of this one from your wife!! This should be good for a Smarty for sure!

Okay, no more jokes. What have you tried? Are the seats leather or cloth?

There is a product I just found the gets cat urine smell out of carpet. Call Urine B Gone. I know its not urine, but it can't hurt to try.

http://www.urinegone.com/?cid=162695
how about some shrimp-be-gone
Old 02-26-2006, 08:43 PM

This reminds me of the Body Odor in the BMW episode on Sienfeld. I think he ended up selling it cause the smell just wouldn't go away.

If you can get under the leather... I would soak it with my favorite aroma, let it sit, then wet vac it. It may work through the vent holes, but I wouldn't drench it if you can't get directly to the foam.. I've done this before with mattresses, seat cushions, carpets, etc.... just a suggestion..

good luck.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Xonid
This reminds me of the Body Odor in the BMW episode on Sienfeld. I think he ended up selling it cause the smell just wouldn't go away. good luck.
He actualy didn't sell it. Went to the dealer and they refused to buy it due to the smell. He gave the keys to a homeless guy sleeping on the sidewalk. The guy got in the car, hoped right back out and yelled at Jerry for doing such a horrid thing.

Did you even get a chance to eat the shrimp?
Old 02-27-2006, 09:15 AM
Muted User

start calling junk yards.......just replace the seat and be done with it....or take the seat out and take it to an upolster shop and have new foam put in it..
Old 02-27-2006, 11:51 AM

Unfortunately, by the time I got the chance to look at the shrimp it had turned pink (spoiled). As for the junk yards, it's literally impossible to find high end ones here in the Northwest. If you do, the parts are literally removed before the car gets put in it's final resting place.

Quick Reply: Wife left seafood in car, help!