Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wife left seafood in car, help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wife left seafood in car, help!

A while back the wife accidently left frozen shrimp in her front seat. When she returned hours later it had defrosted leaving what has amounted to an awful smell in her car. I have tried almost everything to remove the smell from the seat to no avail. Any ideas?
Old 02-25-2006, 05:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First off, get all the mileage you can out of this one from your wife!! This should be good for a Smarty for sure!

Okay, no more jokes. What have you tried? Are the seats leather or cloth?

There is a product I just found the gets cat urine smell out of carpet. Call Urine B Gone. I know its not urine, but it can't hurt to try.

http://www.urinegone.com/?cid=162695
Old 02-25-2006, 05:13 PM

seafood

Did you try Febreez?
Old 02-25-2006, 05:35 PM

Line the floorboards with plastic. Then proceed to spread several bags of charcoal on the floor. Close the car up for a couple days in the hot sun and when you open the smell should be gone.

Years ago a friend bought a car that someone had died in and was not found for about 2 weeks. You talking bout a smell. They left the charcoal in for 2 weeks after which you could never tell.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:35 PM

try lemon juice
Old 02-25-2006, 06:10 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Trade it in for another Cummins powered Truck.........
Old 02-25-2006, 06:14 PM

Sorry,
forgot to mention what type of seats they are. They are black leather with small vent holes. I have tired Fabreeze, Lysol, etc.. and many other off the shelf odor removers and cleaners. I just tried this stuff yesterday called OZIUM Glycol-ized air sanitizer on my truck. I tested it first in my AC vents to remove that musty smell that had started to annoy me. Seemed to work pretty well. I sprayed it in the wifes car also yesterday afternoon and the smell is still there, but not as bad. Maybe repeated applications will help. My concern is that the shrimp juice may have soaked into the seat foam .

Trending Topics

Old 02-25-2006, 06:19 PM

Wife perfers expensive foreign cars. Wish I could get her to take care of them as such, but thats another story. Once my oldest daughter leaves this summer for college, the plan is to get her another car (she likes the new Acura TL), because between the two of them thay have done a job on the one she has now.

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Trade it in for another Cummins powered Truck.........
Old 02-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Banned

try running over the neighborhood skunk, that should take your mind off the fishy smell..........
Old 02-25-2006, 06:30 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Get some ordinary baking soda and put some in some saucers or something similar and leave them front and back on the floor. You may have to remove them while driving as they will slide around, so if possible secure the for driving. You can alos sprinkle some on the floor mats and vacuum it out is few days. Repeat applications may be necessary. Leave them in for a day or two and you should notice a difference. Of course, as much as possible, also leave all the windows open.
Unfortunately there is no product I know of that will remove the smell in one application.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:36 PM

Baking soda may not work because the shrimp was left in the seat. I'll keep you guy's posted after acouple more applications of OZIUM.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:42 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by 01350banshee
Baking soda may not work because the shrimp was left in the seat. I'll keep you guy's posted after acouple more applications of OZIUM.
If it were cloth seats I would suggest rubbing the baking soad directly into the cloth, leaving it overnight and vacuuming it out the next day. As I do not know if the baking soda reacts in way with the leather, I am hesitant to suggest that. Personally I would be tempted to try a small area and rub it well into the vent holes and then vacuum itout the next day.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
If all else fails, take a piece of four inch dryer hose and stick it in the window. Tape the window tightly and crack open the window on the oposite side. Then hook the other end to your truck and fill the car with the rich aroma of diesel exhaust. Yeah that was in bad taste but I couldn't help myself.
I would try this on a place that doesn,t show first because I don't know what effect it will have on fine leather. Cut a lemon into wedges and rub it into the offending area. Wait for the acid to work it's magic. Then clean the leather using a good saddle soap. My wife says that white vinegar might do it. OF course you can always take it a professional?
Old 02-25-2006, 06:51 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
If the 'juice' got into the seat foam, you're only solution will involve replacing the foam.
Otherwise you're just "putting a bandaid" on the problem.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:54 PM

I've tried everything but industrial chemicals, because I dont want to have to replace a leather Audi seat. I also dont want to compound the problem by discoloring the seat.

Originally Posted by Mexstan
If it were cloth seats I would suggest rubbing the baking soad directly into the cloth, leaving it overnight and vacuuming it out the next day. As I do not know if the baking soda reacts in way with the leather, I am hesitant to suggest that. Personally I would be tempted to try a small area and rub it well into the vent holes and then vacuum itout the next day.

Quick Reply: Wife left seafood in car, help!