Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Why METRIC!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DSLRammin
Us Canucks learn metric in school, thats fine, next time someone says that metric is easier, ask them how tall they are and how heavy they are. I bet they will tell you in feet and pounds. No one knows how many Kg they are or cm tall.
Exactly. And that's because the metric system has one measurement too big, one too small, and nothing just right. You got meters, which everybody has 2 of. Then you got centimeters, which some people can have 50 of. And for some reason, the one unit of measure that actually would be useful, the 10 CM one, isn't ever used. Why?

The metric system is based on science and fast conversion. The SAE system is actually something that you can use for everyday use.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:45 PM

That's pretty bogus really. That is only because you are not familliar with the system.

I too am only really fluent in inches and feet etc. and kinda thought the same way you do. Until I worked witha South African guy where EVRERYTHING is metric.

With metric measurement you can measure something and you instantly have a measurement to the very last millimetre! Very small. Where as with a SAE system, you are You are going o.k, this is 12 feet 4inches and 3/8" of an inch.

Metric there is never any fractions etc.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
It doesn't much matter to me except for the fact that they can't decide on a standard to make everything either all English or all Metric. The way things are I have to carry twice as many tools and my arm gets sore. It's also a PITA to never quite know what you're going to need wrench wise when you crawl under your beast. It usually takes me three trips extra to get the right wrench.

My truck is a mixture of metric and english nuts and bolts. I recently bought a new brake cylinder, The bolts to mount it are english and the brake line is english but the bleeder is metric!! ***?

Edwin
Old 02-24-2005, 08:59 PM

I remember when a company that I use to work for 'went metric'. We ended up with 12.7mm stock (1/2in), 6.35mm hex (1/4in), etc., as they merely converted all of the drawings to metric. It's even worse now as we have a mix of English (American English, not Whitworth and British Standard) and metric fasteners.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in a country which went metric years ago, except for some major contraditions

if you go to the pub you buy your beer in IMP pints
you buy your wiskey,gin etc in metric measures.

all the road signs are in miles, all distances are in miles, but you buy your fuel in litres.
when you buy a new car all the stats are in imperial measurements, ie so many miles to the gallon, what the bhp is and in the case of diesels how much ftlbs of torque.

I'm in the building industry which has been metric for decades. yet we still fit 6ft 6in x 2ft 9in internal and external doors and imperial sized windows, and you can still buy 8 x 4 sheets of plasterboard.

there are bound to be many other such daft things i can't remember ..........