Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Why Hide Your Sevice Department?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Why Hide Your Sevice Department?

An interesting comment from FoxNews, but Id like to warn the readers not to turn this into a dealer bash or I will remove this thread.

From Foxnews

By Neil Cavuto

You want your new car fixed? Well, don't go to where you bought your new car. Increasingly, I've noticed that auto showrooms are a long way from auto repair rooms. Not only in a separate building. Sometimes, they're in a separate town!
I kid you not.
Dealer after dealer, showroom after showroom, it's the same thing: buy the car here, fix it there — way over there.
I hate to be jaded, but I think I know why: If you've bought a lemon or just have problems, the last thing that dealership wants is you barging in complaining. You might chase good customers away.
So they've taken the courtesy of chasing "you" away to a whole new location — far from potential buyers, to whom you could be a potential distraction.
Trust me, I've done no scientific survey here. But others have confirmed what I've discovered out there. At least four different dealerships by me have gone this route. One told me it was for efficiency.
When I asked what was wrong with the old setup that seemed pretty efficient to me, he simply said, "This is even more efficient."
Given so many automakers' quality issues, I frankly think this guy was lying. Because nothing turns off a hot-to-trot salesman than a hot under the collar former customer.
I say if you have to hide your service department, you're hiding something else. But I could be wrong. I'd like to hear from you.
Rich
Old 09-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I think it's so the knowledgeable vehicle owner doesn't interrupt/correct the "salesman" when he/she tells that "tire kicker" about things like "It'll get 30 MPG in town", "Hemi-Diesels", "Dodges with Allison Automatic trannys", or "Ford Owns Cummins".
Old 09-14-2006, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen that at a couple of dealerships around here. The service department is across the street or down the street.

It could have a lot to do with the things stated above, but around here I think it also has to do with land issues. They want to expand the show room and have to move the service department to do so. They don't own all the land around them and have to go down the street to find a place to put it.

There could be lots of factors in this.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:50 AM

From a dealer point of view it's a great idea! How many times have you walked around a service dept and seen piles of broken down vehicles. I'm a service advisor and I hear it all the time when people come through, "there sure are a lot of broken down volkswagens!" The customer just assumes there broken down, they down take into consideration that the vehicle may be in for regular servicing.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:42 AM

Exactly, no one wants to see their potential car being "repaired" because that should never happen.

Not only that, but you oughta see some of the ways the guys work on and drive your cars while youre at the dealership .. Definetly would scare off potential customers.

Keeps the sales lot looking better, though.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:48 AM

Makes perfect sence from a buisness stand point. Though you know word of mouth is still the most powerful form of advertising ~ good or bad!
Old 09-14-2006, 11:19 AM

I sell tractors...not the same thing, but close.

Personally, we use our shop to help sell machines. Customers see that 80x80 space and know that when they HAVE a problem, he have the space to fix it, and other machines at the same time. Meaning, they won't have as much downtime when it does happen...they know it will, we know it will, but we both know that it needs to get fixed ASAP!

But what do we know...we have to sell machines that cost 3 times what a truck does, without the help of 0% intrest and years and years of warranties

Chris

Trending Topics

Old 09-14-2006, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by signature600
I sell tractors...not the same thing, but close.

Personally, we use our shop to help sell machines. Customers see that 80x80 space and know that when they HAVE a problem, he have the space to fix it, and other machines at the same time. Meaning, they won't have as much downtime when it does happen...they know it will, we know it will, but we both know that it needs to get fixed ASAP!

But what do we know...we have to sell machines that cost 3 times what a truck does, without the help of 0% intrest and years and years of warranties

Chris
but - farmers tend to have a different mind-set than the typical car-buying public. A farmer knows that the equipment WILL break down and that if he can't fix it, you can. A car isn't supposed to break down even though sub-consciously, we all know that it will.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:27 PM

I understand that, but that doesn't mean it's right

Chris
Old 09-14-2006, 02:44 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Another factor might be that car showrooms are located in prime locations, where lots of people will pass by, in the center of town. This means expensive property, lots of rules regarding noise and emissions and also what your business has got to look like.
So it's preferrable to put the repair dep. somewhere where it's cheap and you can actually work without disturbing the owner of the birkenstock exclusive outlet and the owner of the organoprobiolunarphaseconscioouslyharvestedfairtra defengshuiwholegrain hot dogs.

AlpineRAM
Old 09-14-2006, 02:47 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
organoprobiolunarphaseconscioouslyharvestedfairtra defengshuiwholegrain hot dogs.

AlpineRAM
Wow! you sure know how to get the old stomach growling I want 2 of those and chips!
Old 09-14-2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Wow! you sure know how to get the old stomach growling I want 2 of those and chips!
that made my head, eyes, and stomach, hurt
Old 09-14-2006, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM
without disturbing the owner of the birkenstock exclusive outlet and the owner of the organoprobiolunarphaseconscioouslyharvestedfairtra defengshuiwholegrain hot dogs.

AlpineRAM
Are you sure you don't live over here???

K.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:43 PM

There's a dealer in Colorado Springs (not a dodge dealer) that specifically put their service department in front, and they advertise that fact...

I would assume they put alot of effort into making their service dept. at least look flawless...
Old 09-15-2006, 04:01 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by SoTexRattler
Are you sure you don't live over here???

K.
Yup, pretty sure.... but globalisation goes a looong way

We have the same trend over here, but it goes a bit farther, repair and sales being completely different business entities, owned by different people. Makes salesmen even better when they don't have any chance to get polluted with knowledge from folks who work on the vehicles.

AlpineRAM

Quick Reply: Why Hide Your Sevice Department?