Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Why are enclosed trailers so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Why are enclosed trailers so expensive?

It's baffling. Something that's got NO challenging engineering and is made primarily of plywood can cost 7-12 thousand dollars!

I just don't see it.

Even a USED trailer is a rip off because they are so high.....

Why, oh why? Is it just because people are paying these silly prices?

jh
Old 04-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I paid 3822.00 for my 7x14 enclosed ramp door with paneling and motorcycle tie downs. Just have to shop around but, yes they are spendy.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:34 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just went through the whole enclosed trailer thing too. The deal is you have to keep your eyes open and pounce on the right deal. Craigs list is the place to find the deals, but be ready to act. I saw several that I liked but decided to think about it for a few days and they were gone. Expect a good deal to come along that is close enough to you about every two weeks or so. After a while you'll know when it's time to jump. Just don't get in a hurry and buy whatever comes along, there are enough out there that you'll find it.

I just got a 28 foot enclosed with dual 7000 lb axles and 12 inch brakes on all four wheels. It had only made one trip and had never even had a license plate on it. Looks new, has lights, vents, oversize side door and white panneled interior. Got it for $5500. Still a lot of cash but way better than the new prices. Just about everyone is willing to come down when they see cash. They were asking $7500. for mine.

John
Old 04-27-2008, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, kinda like diesel prices.....they jack em up and people still pay for it....
Old 04-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I'm sure the manufacturers are making a fairly decent profit, but I just built a 20 foot equipment trailer to a customers spec's not too long ago. 2 8000 pound Torflex axles w/ 16" radial tires on white spoke rims, 7" Channel frame with 3" channel crossmembers every 16". Pressure treated 2" X 8" decking, recessed sealed beam lighting, 8K Jack, 12K Bulldog coupler, hide-a-way ramps, multiple stake pockets/tie-downs, VIN tag and certificate of origin. My cost to build this thing was almost $3000.

Now I'm positive the 'BIG BOYS' get a lot better deal on materials, (steel and/or aluminum), than I do, but I know for a fact that I get the same pricing on axles and lighting items, so they're making a little better money than me. But the raw material pricing is so high now-a-days that it drives up the cost of a finished product dramatically, especially when you figure in all the materials needed to form the roof and walls.

But none the less, people ARE still paying the higher prices.

chaikwa.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I checked Craigslist.com every day for a couple of months before I found this one.

2005 Wells Cargo 7 X 12 V-nose for $3,500 and came with two pingel removable wheel chocks, 8 in-floor flip-up tie down rings, and two sets of ratcheting bike straps.

There's a lot of dreamers selling stuff on craigslist, but many prices are VERY negotiable.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:24 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

If you know a trailer builder, you can have one modified for a reasonable price.

Or pick one up from one of our members here.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:27 PM

Cargos cost about double what you'll pay for a flatbed of the same size. A lot of cargos come out of Indiana. You might check for a dealer that is close to the factory to save on freight. I sell Cargo Express trailers out of Bristol and have to figure $50 per foot plus a fuel surcharge shipped to Colorado. You might also look for a trailer that was built before April since most manufacturers raised prices 10% in the past few weeks.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
check all the local SCCA forums in your area too,

there's a 8.5x24 in Asheville for $5000 right now. i want it, but have no need for it.

i sold my other 24 a few years ago, because i never used it enough, so why buy another one?

but a 24ft is AWESOME.

i used mine as a shed to keep motorcycle & lawnmower in, but that made it a real pain to use it, took hour to clean it out.

my buddy uses his 24 to haul ATV's in. i put 14 D-rings down in his.

if you buy one without D-rings, PM me, i have $45 worth of hole saws (the mandrel is $15, the big 4 bolt car ring hole is $15, and the little one is $15)
you can borrow them for shipping cost.