Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

why don't electronics have "Geriatric Mode" and RESET buttons?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 08:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
why don't electronics have "Geriatric Mode" and RESET buttons?

my Granny, God Bless her soul, has a little space heater in her bathroom.

it's one of the first one's ever made, really old, with the little red wires running across.

and the wife bought one of the newest for us - remote control (alarm clock goes off, she hits snooze, i hit remote to make room toasty warm by time snooze is over) even has a timer (that you have to set every time - can't lock it on)

but neither one has a safety that i would like to see:
a removable jumper (like on a computer board/drive) that makes it AUTOMATICALLY turn off after, say, 30 minutes.

because i think my wife worries more our heater than Granny does about hers.
i would just like to have ours configured so that no matter what, you can't go away and leave it on.

and why don't modern electronics have RESET buttons?
my Dad bought a Yamaha Stereo Receiver, and it has assignable inputs (5 optical, 3 coax, 5 S-vhs, 2 component, 5 composite)

and you can Map them ANY WAY you want.
so years ago, I went up there, figured out the hodge podge of stuff he has, and the different outputs, and it took me forever to noodle it out and remap them.

sure enough, he gets a new TV, and a new TIVO satty box

Dude, i worked on it for 2 hours, and could not figure out how to remap the inputs.

if would have been SO NICE just to hit a RESET button to get back to STOCK parameters, where they were all mapped, and then went from there.

his receiver is horrible, him & wife are always screwing something up, and only the front or back speakers will play, or in mono, or analog vice digital input.

it would be so nice just to hit a button, and not have to wade thru 100's of menus and submenus to find that little option.

and also, I buy salvage stuff at auction, and it would be so nice just to be able to RESET it and clear it. Like I have a credit card terminal, and it still has the majority of the previous business's stuff in it.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Just go find some 5th grader to do it all for you.

Ain't there an age limit on who can touch these things? I think you are over.

I agree, John. That's why I stay simple. Good old cable and a 5 year old raido for me. Kids will just destroy it anyhow!
Old 12-23-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree totally! I My parents are getting older and everytime I have to replace something (TV, DVD, VCR...) I takes forever for them to relearn everything. Good thing I have patience and I am still able to program a universal remote for them.