Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Who makes a good push mower these days?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who makes a good push mower these days?

I'm sort of in the market (in the next year) for a new push mower. Who makes a good one these days? The last one was a Lawn Boy 6.5 hp 2 stroke which was the biggest POS I've ever owned. Took $50 to get it running every spring. I was looking at the Cub Cadet push mowers, and then realized that they were an MTD in sheep's clothing. I'm starting to lean towards a Snapper, Toro, or Honda. Are any of these any good anymore? If not, what is?

Edit: I mainly use if for edging what I can't hit with my rider and a small chunk of side hill. I bought a $99 Menard's special about a year ago, and the deck has about had it, so I'm in the market.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:25 PM

If you look at mowers these days it looks like they are ALL made in the same factory. I had a small lawn care business. When I scaled-down I went and bought a returned (refurbished) mower from Sears. It had the full warranty. Excellent mower. I bought the rear-bag mulcher, 6.5hp. You may have to try a couple of different models, but at least Sears has a good return / repair policy. My .02...
Old 06-13-2006, 03:53 PM

My last two push mowers have been toro's and have had no problems.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned

lawn mower

Originally Posted by T398
My last two push mowers have been toro's and have had no problems.
I have a Honda comerical mower. It is tough mower. Jim
Old 06-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had all kinds of Honda power equipment and never had a problem. A bit pricy but very good machines.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:54 PM

Thumbs up

My last 2 mowers were Toro and Snapper. Both EXCELLENT mowers.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:05 PM

I have a used Craftsman 6.75hp now. In the past I always waited untill the end of the season and bought a new cheap one and got a years use out of it. Used it for a year, don't have to spend money to change the oil, no $20 blades every year. After my sears wears out I'll do that again, $89 push mower year or two then get a new one. I have heard nothing but good about lawn boys, never owned one or used one. Your bad luck with them is the first story like that I have ever heard. Maybe you got a bad one, sure they don't make them like they use to. I just can't bring my self to spend $400-5 for a mower that may not last much longer then my bargan basment brand mower. Get a JOHN DEERE mower.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:21 PM

Almost all mowers are made by the same people. Murray still makes a few and MTD makes most of the rest of them. I believe John Deere, Honda, and Toro still make their own, but for me a Home Depot special serves the purpose well. I use it about the same way that you describe, just to get the stuff I can't get to with the tractor and finish mower. If you have the option get the ones with high wheels on the rear. Makes it much easier to get around and make turns. I think I paid $189 about 5 years ago and don't do anything but change the oil. Starts on the first pull everytime.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I spent a good week researching this very topic not too long ago and finally landed on Toro. As advertised, it cranked on the first pull right out of the box. So far so good.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a Sears Craftsmen mower with a 5.5 Honda engine. Never failed to crank on the first pull, so far.

Honda generator I bought used........same thing......cranks first pull. always. At least so far.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:37 AM

I have a Toro with an electric start. Love it!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:02 AM

Toro

I have a toro riding mower, zero turn thing, it is older but starts every time and it is great. I got it with the house I bought, had to pry it out of the sellers hands, eventhough she had a new Toro and Massey. First lawn mower I've ever owned.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My first lawn mower was a lawnboy commercial 2 stroke and it went 18 years (man I pulled my guts out on that thing a few times)
My Honda 4 stroke is on its 8th season and still starts and runs like new.
I'm partial to the aluminum deck mowers (however my Hondas some kind of plastic and its been good ) as the steel ones dont seem to last more than 5 years in our area. I personaly think Honda makes the best small 4 stroke engines so I would suggest starting there.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:37 AM

My Sears Craftsman lawnmower hasn't let me down in 15 years - Tecumseh engine.

But now I need help in finding "pushers".....
Old 06-14-2006, 11:14 AM

I bought a craftsman push mower with the 7hp ohv engine. Starts on first pull every time. I wash everything down every time I mow. Its been my experience that if you take care of them, they will take care of you. just my .02

Quick Reply: Who makes a good push mower these days?