Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Who makes good 100% cotton work pants?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Who makes good 100% cotton work pants?

The carhartt jacket I have doesn't have the winter lining (nylon lookin' stuff), it has a cloth liner. I do have winter rated coveralls and overalls (black artic and red winter liners) but before I have to put them on, I'm looking for an inside job. ;D The carhartt jacket is authorized mainly because most construction crews will wear something and the carhartt is recommended because it'll slow down the flashover and you are required to wear nomex underneath anyway. Of small point is that face and hands are generally unprotected but, hey, you can only do so much until such point it becomes counterproductive.

~Dave
Old 12-04-2003, 06:13 PM
Muted User

Speaking of Nomex ... guess what I got in the mail this afternoon? Give up? Hyuk, hyuk ... My very last "Buyer's Club" catalog from "The Sportman's Guide" which just happened to have an insert with ... would you believe it? ... Carhartt Nomex clothing!!! How's that for timing!?

Here are a couple of specs:

* Meets OSHA & ASTM safety rules for occupations such as welding ...
* DuPont Nomex IIIA -- 93% Nomex.

Here are some prices:

* 30" or 32" inseam bibs $49.97 BC $59.97 regular price
* Overalls ------------- $89.97 -- $99.97

Buyer's Club (BC) mbrshp is $29.95/yr. What I do, is wait until I've got a large enuf order to pay for the BC mbrshp. Using the 2 items above as an example, I'd order 2 bibs & 1 overall which with the BC mbrshp would mean a ~$30 savings, effectively paying for mbrshp.

Good luck.
Old 12-04-2003, 06:28 PM

[quote author=Suburbanite link=board=10;threadid=23203;start=15#msg218310 date=1070583216]
Speaking of Nomex ... guess what I got in the mail this afternoon? Give up? Hyuk, hyuk ... My very last "Buyer's Club" catalog from "The Sportman's Guide" which just happened to have an insert with ... would you believe it? ... Carhartt Nomex clothing!!! How's that for timing!?

Here are a couple of specs:

* Meets OSHA & ASTM safety rules for occupations such as welding ...
* DuPont Nomex IIIA -- 93% Nomex.

Here are some prices:

* 30" or 32" inseam bibs $49.97 BC $59.97 regular price
* Overalls ------------- $89.97 -- $99.97

Buyer's Club (BC) mbrshp is $29.95/yr. What I do, is wait until I've got a large enuf order to pay for the BC mbrshp. Using the 2 items above as an example, I'd order 2 bibs & 1 overall which with the BC mbrshp would mean a ~$30 savings, effectively paying for mbrshp.

Good luck.
[/quote]

That is real cheap.......the Nomex IIIA winter parkas go for close to $375 Canadian if you buy them in a regular workwear store...
Old 12-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Muted User

Dr. Evil, there's no parka listed on the insert but there is an Artic Coat, Navy priced at $89.97 BC & $99.97 regular price. There's also a "Compare at ..." (what it normally sells for) price of $290 so it might be the same thing as the parka you mentioned. OTOH, there's also an Active Jacket, Navy listed for $69.97/$79.97 with "Compare at $278.00" price so who knows. Here's the stock # for the Artic Coat -- NX3K-79791X. And here's the webpage link: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=108813 for all the Carhartt Nomex stuff.

One word of advice: Some of the stuff goes pretty darn fast so if you're or anyone else is interested I'd suggest ordering lickety-split! BC mbrs usually get 1st crack at new merchandise because they usually receive print catalogs or email notices listing new merchandise before non-members so once the regular catalogs get sent don't be surprised if something you were thinking about buying is already sold out. Especially at this time of the year.

Good luck.

Forgot to mention that the website & the insert claims that quantities are very limited.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:37 AM

[quote author=NWDave link=board=10;threadid=23203;start=0#msg218051 date=1070551016]
What's your safety worth???? I work in an oil refinery. Nomex is mandatory. When the weather turns cold, the only outergarment authorized is a carhartt coat. Unless, of [/quote]

Nomex is overkill for the hazards presented by the flammables used in my hobby. I am making high power rocket motors.

I just got back from a tour of the largest commercial maker of high power rocket motors. Even they only require cotton clothing and they are handling 100 times more than I ever will.

Brian Elfert
Old 12-05-2003, 01:05 PM

NWDave check into it Carhart makes a flame resistent line also, usually special order, for your job you might be better off checking into and using those instead of the regular carharts.
Also for cheap nomex check military surplus stores and get the old flight suits, and nomex flight jackets.
Although by military standards anytime our nomex had oils spots on it, it was unserviceable, no amount of washing would remove the oil. just a FWIW
Old 12-05-2003, 08:53 PM

Belfert, I hope your'e not making home made rocket motors like I saw on Discovery Channel last week where they where launching a 15lb bowling ball up over 2000 feet, because if you are, 100% cotton ain't gonna protect the family jewels , if that stuff catches fire, just bend over and kiss it good bye. When some of the rockets where launched, they had to get special clearance from the gov, and no planes where allowed in the air space for so many minutes. What are you building a JATO??? NOW that would look nice, a Dodge Cummin with 2 JATO's strapped on the sides, ROASTING a Ford