Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Who makes the best Residential Generator

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
JJ

Can you tell me if the genset linked would be one of the ones that is giving the emmisions troubles.

Cause if it is, it better not tick me off....

I aint scared to delete stuff.....

http://www.generatorsales.com/order/06715.asp?page=6715

This looks like a similar sound enclosure, ours has exhaust exiting the top. I do not believe the one in this link has the sophisticated control panel and motherboard that's been giving us grief, that's a plus.

This "tier 3" programming is the equivilant of the little black box in airliners. We had two techs from Cummins Northwest, both with laptops connected to the unit at the same time, and both getting conflicting data....

Because of emission requirements and Cummins wanting to monitor all parameters, I am not sure you can get "simple" any longer, but you may be in luck with this one.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay away from the aircooled Generacs / Siemens units. They will not last in the summer heat. I have a Cummins Onan RS20000 but my father inlaw did not want to spend that much money, so he decided on a Generac QuietSource 16kW (15 on NatGas). I installed it for my father inlaw and placed it up on a 24 inch elevated chainwall pad for easy stand up service and installed a Generac 200 Amp Auto transfer switch. The unit killed a large area of grass during the brake in. The exaust air is like a furnace. The the first Generac unit siezed up on him during an extended outage after about 15 hours run time in 95 deg summer heat. It was replaced under warranty but after alot of negative review research on the aircooled Generacs he realized he should have antied up for a better unit and decided to splurge for a liquid cooled unit. He decided on a Cummins Onan RS15000. I had a challenge making the Onan RS15000 work with the Generac transfer swithc but worked it out. I had to add a 2 Amp regulated battery charger because the Generac chargers are in the gen set not the transfer switch. He & I are very satiesfied with our Onans. We do not hear them running inside our houses. They both run the whole house with careful personal load management.