Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Who made my 8mm Mauser?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who made my 8mm Mauser?

I was given a sporterized 8mm Mauser a few years back. I have no idea who made it, and there are no distiguishable markings other than a few numbers on the barrel. Are some Mausers made differently than others? The bolt handle has obviously been cut and re-welded at a 45 but the stock looks like it always accepted an angled handle. Is there any sure way to determine the model and manufacturer on this weapon?
Old 01-30-2010, 09:43 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

How about a picture? Could there be an image of a crescent moon on the reciever ring? Has the barrel been shortened? Turkish mausers were the most common to get and sporterize. There are a few different versions in 8mm. The K98's tend to have the **** stamps all over the place, even the russians left most of them on when they retooled their captured guns. Browse through the photos at places like mitchells mausers, and sportermauser, etc. Look for matching barrel lengths and reciver features in the photos. Hope this helps you get started, I believe Top knows his mausers, if and when he sees this.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:53 PM

Ok, upon further investigation, I found 7.91 stamped on the receiver. The internet tells me its Turkish. The bolt serial number does not match the receiver. I have fired reloads through this weapon and they split at the neck. I fired turkish FMJ and they did not split. The box of Turkish load says 7,9 on it. There are three numbers on the rifle: 7.91, 14494 and 5305. I know what two of them mean, but the 5305 has me stumped. There seems to be a space between the 53 and 05. The bolt has 20992 stamped on it with a "B" above the numbers. The Receiver also has a "B" on it.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:11 PM

Picture 2 is unclear but the stamp on the left is the serial number 14494 and the number on the right is 53 05. Its shown closer in the third picture.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:14 PM

Some purists frown on mismatched serial numbers and a lot of importers are notorious for throwing parts together, but it's not always the case. Some guns may also get re-arsenalled or modified by the original governments, or other agencies that acquire them later on.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:56 PM

Im not a big fan of it not being a matching gun either. Not for resale but just on principle.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:17 PM

Another way to look at it is, somebody didn't ruin a pristine, correct rifle by making it a sporter. They just sacrificed a nicely built, functional rifle.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:30 PM

You could always remilitarize it for more current applications. Synthetic stock, parkerizing or duracoat. Few strands of burlap, bi pod...
Old 01-31-2010, 01:12 AM
RCW

It is considered a model 1903-1938 Turkish Mauser. This series could easily include the GEW 98, Cz 98/22, Turkish Model 1903 and the Model 1893. They get lumped together by just about everyone.

The Gewehr 98 has a straight bolt and originally came with a walnut stock, and was German built - no crescent on the receiver. It also had a pair of grooves in each side of the stock just behind the forearm. The later models had beechwood stocks. The mechanical aspects are excellent, typical German.

The Cz 98/22 was made by the Czechoslovak State Armament Works, BRNO. It was also duplicated by the **** Machine Works of Mexico City (my understanding from business dealings in Mexico is the same families now own CEMEX and are into concrete worldwide, and Bimbo Bakeries which is into the US bread market) prior to WW2, when the ***** were working with Mexico to invade the US. They have a walnut stock with no grooves. Also, no crescent on the receiver.

The Mexican version is known for very poor workmanship just like Chrysler products from Mexico! But, a whole lot better than Fiat.

The Turkish version is the K98 and usually has the crescent on the receiver, and will have the 7.91 caliber stamp located on the underside of the barrel - it was not visible above the stock line on original stocks. Do not shoot 7.92 ammo in one with that mark or extremely high pressure is exerted which generally causes bolt binding and cartridge cracking just ahead of the extractor ring. This particular model can force the bolt back into your head when the lugs let go, pretty dangerous. The bolt can be lapped, the headspace set, and the bore cleaned up to handle the 7.92 with little trouble as long as there are no cracks in the receiver or bolt lugs from high pressure - I would spring for an X-ray.

The K98 has a sight radius, rear sight to the back of the front sight, of 20 inches.

There are a lot of Russian reworked Turk K98 Mausers drifting around. The Russians were none too careful about the mechanicals, and let a large number of unsafe 7.91's into the US market as sporting conversions.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:06 PM

What do I need to look for in ammo since it's a 7.91? All the ammo boxes say 8mm. How do I determine the difference?
Old 01-31-2010, 02:12 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I think there was just an article on this type of Mauser in the latest American Rifleman

Kurt
Old 01-31-2010, 02:36 PM

Took the rifle out this morning to burn some of the Yugo FMJ ammo I bought for $7 a box. I had to pull the trigger twice on each one I shot. I shot one of my remington rounds and four of my reloads, they all fired on the first trigger pull. What could be wrong with the FMJ's?
Old 01-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably the primer pocket.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I was gonna mention heavier primers if mil ammo.

check the firing pin indentations on the selected ammo and compare to the ones that fired correctly. Could also be a weakend firing pin spring, or shortened pin.

Kurt
Old 02-05-2010, 07:59 AM

My Dad killed a German soldier in Chechoslavakia and took his 8mm Mauser. Shipped it home after the war. I took my first deer with it. Lowlifes broke into our home and stold it in the 70's. Wish I still had it.

Quick Reply: Who made my 8mm Mauser?