Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Who can ID this snake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crobtex
My daughter don't like it, but when the rat snakes get into the barn, I leave them there. It does give you a start though when you open a drawer for tool and there it is.
As you prolly know (and others need to realize) is that you are scaring the crap out of them too. Ever see a snake jump?
Old 05-17-2006, 08:03 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
As you prolly know (and others need to realize) is that you are scaring the crap out of them too. Ever see a snake jump?
No, but a few have seen ME jump.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FiverBob
From what I can see that is a rat snake. They are good snakes, not aggressive but great for keeping the rats and mice at bay around the house. I had a five footer as a pet at my last house. He would actually come to me and want to play. He would bite my big toe and shake it - - then let go and see what I would do. When I wanted to freak out my neighbors I would wait for them to have a party and go find him in the yard then wrap him around my neck and wander over to the party. Soooo much fun. Couldn't find him when I moved - - have been back over many times but can't find him. I think someone did him in. I wanted to bring him to the new house. So, I have a new black snake friend instead. Lawn crew almost got him last week - - I chewed on them good - - they were chasing him thinking they were doing me a favor. They thought I was crazee when I picked him up and returned him to his home under the slab by my pool equipment. Now they know - - LEAVE HIM ALONE.

SnakehandlerBob
Well, general consensus is that it’s non-poisonous and probably a rat snake, which is good since the problem snakes around here typically are copperheads, water moccasins, and pygmy rattlers.

I have no idea how curling up on top of the motor of a car that hasn’t been started in 6 months would keep one warm. It may have been food supply since I did have a rodent problem in that car some months back but it's not a very smart snake since I used D-con to take care of the rodents and all that's left are the dehydrated rodent carcasses.

After my initial shock, I decided that I was hoping that it was a “friendly” snake so I didn’t shoot a hole in my car even though I was equipped with .38 rat shot. My usual policy is to shoot first and ask questions later. (Truth is that even after I shoot it, I’d still have to get it out of the car and then I still have snake guts all over my car to deal with. )

Glad to hear that I’m not the only one the hates snakes. If it had been in a car that was near the house, I probably would have shot it regardless of what kind it was. Since this was out in the pasture, it got a reprieve. If that snake is smart, it’ll stay away from me and it can live a long life. I consider “good” snakes and skunks to be in the same category – as long as they are away from me and my activities, I won’t seek them out to harm them but when they get close to where I work, play, & live, look-out. Any snake that tries to bite my toe is going to be renamed hamburger - guaranteed.

Originally Posted by bama
poisonous snakes have eliptical pupils(like a cat).........non-poisonous have round pupils........bama
Part of the problem is that I don’t care to get close enough to see the shape of their eyes.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
That one was just trying to get warm. If your gentle and know how to hold them they usually won't bite. It doesn't hurt if they do anyway. I would rather hold a snake than a wild mouse or rat. They have diseases.
Amen a mouse or rat or even a wild bird could give you something more serious than a snake bite. If its non poisoness let it work for you. Like some have said they dont want to run into you anymore than you do them.

Not sure bout that snake but you said it was a stored car so really no warmth for him there. Knowing that and looking at your picture, I am no snake expert but he looks like hes just trying to find a safe place to molt. I say this because the color in between the scales is very dull. Just an educated guess.

Same deal with spiders, they keep the nasty insects out of the house. I leave small house spiders alone unless they are bigger than a pencil eraser or near my bed. If they fail those criteria I give em one shot to cooperate with me and take a hike out the window.
BTW; It is estimated that a person eats on average, 3 spiders a year while sleeping!
Ibelieve this cause i caught one in the act!
My parents house had lights in the ceilling and one evening I was drifting off with the lights on. Half in, half out, I just happened to open my eyes and glimpsed a shimmer coming from the light. Second later I awakened some and realized a little house spider was just a few inches from rappeling down my mouth. what was glimmering was his spider silk. I was sharp enouh to jerk sideways rather than sitting up into him. Spiders are ok just as long as they leave my orrifices alone!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Banned

I can see the fear for snakes, but I can't get over everyones fear of spiders! Just put your finger on them and sqash them. Game over. Now snakes on the other hand, different story. I was buring brush last Sunday when I looked down and saw the tail of a timber rattler next to my foot. That little turd didn't even move.....'til I shoved the big stick I had through his head. He spent his last moments atop a big camp fire. BBQ rattler anyone? O...7 rattles...he was just a baby.

JWB
Old 05-17-2006, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by bama
poisonous snakes have eliptical pupils(like a cat).........non-poisonous have round pupils........bama
Actually there is no such thing as a "poisonous" snake. However, some snakes, like ""ALL" spiders are Venomous. Sorry I love to pick nits.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:53 AM

You guys know cats eat mice too, right? I much rather see a cat crawled up under my truck than a snake.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:35 AM

i know some one who live out west. she was cleaning her house when a snake (garder snake i think, but not sure) popped out of a floor AC vent. she turned it in to hamburger, with a garden hoe..........ON WHITE CARPET!
Old 05-17-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
I have no idea how curling up on top of the motor of a car that hasn’t been started in 6 months would keep one warm. It may have been food supply since I did have a rodent problem in that car some months back but it's not a very smart snake since I used D-con to take care of the rodents and all that's left are the dehydrated rodent carcasses.
It goes in your engine bay the same reason a cat does. It isn't much warmer but it is still warmer than outside. Snakes are weird they like being confined, and like someone else said he might be molting so he wants to be alone. Those things can find their way into ANYTHING. I'm not a fan of spiders either, but I have no prob smashing them with my thumb. The only animals I'm scared of weigh more than me or are some kind of wild cat. I hate cats, especially big ones . I'd be more scared of a couger than a wolf. Oh well.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
My wife on the other hand will take a garden hoe to a small garter snake and then ask me to identify the species......so far "hamburger" is the closest I have come to identifying one after she got done with it
Yeah.. My sweetie was out doing some yard work just after we moved into this house. She bent down to pick up a trash bag and a baby snake crawled out from under it. I got a frantic phone call at work "HONEY!!!!! THERE'S A SNAKE IN THE YARD!". I asked what branch she was calling from and she yells "THE TOP ONE!". I fully expected to find 10 9mm shell casings in the yard when I got home.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:10 PM

Who can ID this snake?

I think his name is Bob.

~Rob
Old 05-17-2006, 01:50 PM

Sounds like most people's way of thinking is "red touch black, be ready to get back".

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
Remember, "red touch Black is a friend of Jack"

Don't kill him.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:08 PM

Snakes and spiders don't bother me. I keep my distance from the venomous ones but I've been bit by two brown widows in the past year. Not the recluse and not the black widow. The brown widow comes from Africa and is spreading rapidly across Florida. They're dark brown with an orange or gold hour glass on their belly. They hang upside down in their cob web and like steel. I've killed several under our vehicles at night when they come out. Not a week of worst flu you ever had like a black widow but you'll feel like you're catching the flu for a day or two. If you accidently stick your hand in their web, they'll bite. If they see you first, they'll run hide and leave you alone as will the black widow. Those little quarter size tan tree spiders that get in your window strips will bite. Like a wasp sting. I about tore up my leg trying to kill on in my britches. I did more damage than his bite. Bruised my leg I did... Jumping spiders while friendly and comical, will also bite if you squeaze them accidently. They'll put a little ulcer on your skin like the recluse but not as bad.
Snakes and spiders don't scare me. For some reason, maybe it's the over 20 deseases they can give you, or that they're the only thing that thrives in sewers with the rats, or that they just look so nasty, **** roaches make my skin crawl. I've been in escalator trusses at work with rats lurking about in curiosity that didn't bother me. If there's **** roaches, I can't go in until they're sprayed, killed and swept up. EESH! Even a dead one... I'd rather pick up a steeming dog suprise than touch a **** roach.
Our neighbor is so afraid of snakes it's comical. I go get them and put 'em under our shed. The little ones eat roaches and the big ones eat rodents.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hoss
I beg to differ. Worse than that is walking at night when all of the sudden you find your face in a spider web. I shudder just thinking about it.
Those same spiders congregating on my front porch have managed to spin a web right at face level every evening,
every night for the past month when I get home from work, I've walked right into it.

Even tried ducking to miss the web I knew was there, but couldn't see,
and I still manage to get it right across the eyes.

They've even resorted to making one at ankle level to try to trip me, one of those thick ones that won't come off.

phox
Old 05-17-2006, 09:16 PM

I used to work for a tree company, and one of the workers caught a blue jay inside a screened in porch. He stuck it in the other guy's glove compartment, and when we left the job site he asked him to check and see if he left something in there. Sure enough out popped Mr. Bluejay, the guy actually jumped out the drivers window. I almost had to be resuscitated.

The victim of that incident later took half of a very large black snake and stuck it under the bird-catcher's driver's seat. He tied a string to the door, and when he opened the door the next morning the snake slid out and landed on his foot. He turned to run, and did a full face plant on the tree truck parked next to him.

Quick Reply: Who can ID this snake?