Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Who can ID this snake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 08:22 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mud snake http://www.pitt.edu/~mcs2/herp/snake...ia_abacura.jpg
Old 05-16-2006, 08:28 PM

Looks like a water snake. Not poisonous but have a bad attitude this time of year. Stick him in the toolbox of your coworkers truck.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:46 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
From what I can see that is a rat snake. They are good snakes, not aggressive but great for keeping the rats and mice at bay around the house. I had a five footer as a pet at my last house. He would actually come to me and want to play. He would bite my big toe and shake it - - then let go and see what I would do. When I wanted to freak out my neighbors I would wait for them to have a party and go find him in the yard then wrap him around my neck and wander over to the party. Soooo much fun. Couldn't find him when I moved - - have been back over many times but can't find him. I think someone did him in. I wanted to bring him to the new house. So, I have a new black snake friend instead. Lawn crew almost got him last week - - I chewed on them good - - they were chasing him thinking they were doing me a favor. They thought I was crazee when I picked him up and returned him to his home under the slab by my pool equipment. Now they know - - LEAVE HIM ALONE.

Bob
Old 05-16-2006, 09:53 PM
Registered

Its just an old black snake, chicken snake, whatever you want to call it. its non poisionus. so dont worry about it.

i make fishing plugs out of snake skin . just cut er behind the head all the way around and pull the skin off. that is - if you want to
Old 05-16-2006, 10:12 PM

I think that it goes like this.... red on yellow kills a fellow red on black ok jack
Old 05-16-2006, 10:18 PM

poisonous snakes have eliptical pupils(like a cat).........non-poisonous have round pupils........bama
Old 05-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red on yellow killed a fellow, red on black friendly Jack.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:39 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by phox_mulder
I'll tell you though, nothing's worse than driving down the road,
minding your own business, when one of them light tan, slightly see-through,
straw like spiders zips down on a web from the drivers side visor.
I beg to differ. Worse than that is walking at night when all of the sudden you find your face in a spider web. I shudder just thinking about it.

Leave the snakes alone. Maybe they'll eat the spiders.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:39 PM

This thread reminds me of why I don't pick up ANY snake ... no one really knows for sure if it is poisonous or not. YEEEUUUCKKKKK !!!

I had a black snake scare the peewadding out of me one Sunday morning in the garage. He was waiting next to the top box of the tool box and when I reached to open the drawer ... he moved !!

All I had to defend myself was my kids bb gun and try as I might, I was so shaken I couldn't hit the stupid thing . Finally beat him to death I think. I wouldn't have given two shakes if a mouse had been waiting on my tool box ... didn't like that fella though.

PISTOL
Old 05-16-2006, 11:57 PM

ever have rattlesnake stew?? yum yum
Old 05-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Anyone catch the snake that bit Jimmy Kimmel last night on TV?
Laughed my head off.
Jim

Ill pet a rat before Ill touch a snake.
I hate snakes...
Old 05-17-2006, 06:30 AM

As a mere 10 year old, I performed the act of levitation due to a snake.
Was walking across the patio, I stepped on what I thought was a garden hose, but then it moved. I shot straight up and landed on the picnic table about 15 feet away (and my feet never touched the ground). That garter snake never messed with me again

~Rob
Old 05-17-2006, 07:00 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Some snakes ARE good! As many of you do, I hate rats, and if I have a snake outside that eats rats, I will let it live. I do not fear them, but do respect them. Never fear a snake you can see, but if you know it is there but can't see it - that's another story! I grew up where there were lots of snakes, most of them very poisonous. As a kid, just for fun I would catch snakes, even the black and green mamba's. The local snake park would buy snakes. Got bitten by a green mamba once on the tongue of my shoe but it's fangs never broke thru or else I would not be here now. Another inch higher and it would have been in my leg. Eventually caught that sucker too. It was only about 4' long, not that big
Old 05-17-2006, 07:51 AM

I told you it wasn't poisioness . I've been around snakes for as long as I can remember. I was always told not to kill the harmless ones. That one was just trying to get warm. If your gentle and know how to hold them they usually won't bite. It doesn't hurt if they do anyway. I would rather hold a snake than a wild mouse or rat. They have diseases.

I remember when I was about 8 or 9 I went to get the mail and a baby diamondback slithered about 8" from my foot in our gutter scared me to death, but I sure diddn't move. I hate rattlesnakes, but I always end up standing close to one without realizing it. A friend of mine chased one up a tree then climbed in after it and killed it with a stick, skinned it and cooked it. Yum.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:53 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My daughter don't like it, but when the rat snakes get into the barn, I leave them there. It does give you a start though when you open a drawer for tool and there it is.

Quick Reply: Who can ID this snake?