Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

"White Knight" Back Up Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"White Knight" Back Up Lights

Anyone have these on their truck? I was just wondering if they're any good. It looks like they would interfere with the pin that holds the drawbar in the hitch, but I guess not. How do they wire up?

Old 12-16-2004, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had them on my truck... unfortunately some salt/snow mix got up in there and fried out the wiring... took them off my truck and haven't bothered re-wiring them and putting 'em back on! They are real nice though, so I may do it again soon. The reverse lights on these trucks are useless!

As far as wiring, it's nothing too difficult (unless your volt meter's dead eh Ed? ) and it comes w/ a bracket to move your trailer wiring out of the way...

Ed has a set on his truck as well... call him if you need some late night tech support!

Tony
Old 12-16-2004, 01:27 PM

I believe Mexstan (where are you Stan?) has a set on his truck.
I saw them on the Sears.com website. Looks like some vehicles need an adapter plate.

~Rob
Old 12-16-2004, 01:30 PM
Banned

Hoss, a set of lights at wal mart work just as good. I think I've got pics of mine in my gallery.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:34 PM

Hoss, you looking at the fixed mount ones or the insert mount ones (couldn't tell from the pic)?

~Rob
Old 12-16-2004, 02:01 PM

I don't know. I was looking at the ones that Geno's sales for an '03.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:01 PM

I've got a set on my truck. They make a very nice differance at night because of my tinted windows. I also had to buy a longer hitch arm to clear the lights. It's very tight getting to the hitch pin behind them so I plan on leaving the trailer hitch always plugged in. If you need to change your hitch often go with another means of back up light.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:06 PM

Hmmmm....I change my drawbar out quite often. I have a 4" drop that I use for the church cargo trailer and my dad's boat and a 2" drop that I use for my dad's flatbed and my grandfather's horse trailer.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:07 PM
CMB

Hey Hoss, Gottem on my 99, changed over to 100 watt bulbs and they light up the night! But if you change drawbars often then go with a good set on each side of the hitch,seen some great looking setups done that way. Mike
Old 12-16-2004, 03:40 PM

You don't need back up lights Hoss if your selling your truck.

I just bought a pair of back up lights in a kit with wireing & everything needed at wal mart $29.00. They are wide angle beam & plenty brite.
Old 12-16-2004, 03:46 PM

Hehehe....I'm going on the assumption that I am not selling my truck because I doubt the dealer will accept the offer I made on a used one.

What I would really like is a set that is mounted INSIDE the rear bumper.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Hoss
Hehehe....I'm going on the assumption that I am not selling my truck because I doubt the dealer will accept the offer I made on a used one.

What I would really like is a set that is mounted INSIDE the rear bumper.
I think that's how Stan has his mounted, actually. If I remember correctly he cut into the plastic in the middle and mounted them in there, which works on the 3rd Gen trucks pretty well. I'm not sure if he has a picture in his gallery or not.

Edit: Found the thread with pics of Stan's setup, just scroll down a bit. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t&pagenumber=2
Old 12-17-2004, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Nvisable
I've got a set on my truck. They make a very nice differance at night because of my tinted windows. I also had to buy a longer hitch arm to clear the lights. It's very tight getting to the hitch pin behind them so I plan on leaving the trailer hitch always plugged in. If you need to change your hitch often go with another means of back up light.
Thanks for that heads up. I use a 4" drop for trailer duties (and to give tailgaters something to run into), but constantly remove it to put in my Lousiana Guard Dog (holds my ATV in the bed) or my DryDock from Yakima (props up the rear of the canoe that I carry on the roof). Sounds like I should go a different route for lights.

~Rob
Old 12-17-2004, 09:15 AM

Jfpointer, I forgot how Stan had his lights set up. Seems like it would be pretty easy to get any set of lights that would fit on the sides of the LP like that and mount them.

I think that's what I'll do. I can't decide if it would be better to tap into the back up light wiring so that they come on automatically when you hit reverse or put them on a switch. I can see good things about both ways.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:36 AM

Hoss,
You can wire them up to a SPDT switch (one with an "off" position) such that:

1) You can have them turn on when you put the vehicle in reverse
2) You can turn them on at any time (w/o being in reverse)
3) Off no matter what

I helped a friend do that on his truck.

~Rob

Quick Reply: "White Knight" Back Up Lights