Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: What you you play
I play an acoustic guitar
15.00%
I play an electric guitar
15.00%
I play both acoustic and an electric guitar
45.00%
I play an electric bass
12.50%
I play an acoustic bass
2.50%
I play a different type of stringed instrument (please specify)
10.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Where's all the guitar players?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possums band?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Banned

Sure enough!

Originally Posted by derek840378
possums pecker band?
"Nobody makes Sherriff Bufford T. Justice look like a Possum's", Jackie Gleason.

Heres the story:

Perhaps one of the top 5 all time best movies every released, amongst Fletch, Christmas Vacation, Convoy, and Cannon Ball Run, lies our all time favorite...Smokey and the Bandit! While vegin' on the couch one day eatin' Dominoes pizza while watching this movie, the light came on. After repeating the line from Jackie Gleason several times and laughing our peperonis off, we thought...hhmmm...what a great band name. From then on, it stuck. We became known as the Possum's Band.

You can also go to http://www.possumspeckerband.com/bandname.htm for sound clips of Bufford T. Justice and other good stuff. The sound clips are great.

Be sure to click on the "germans" link. You'll get a kick out of that one!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You guys are Killing me!

I picked electric (no pun intended) from the poll, but I also play acoustic and bass and enjoy all of them.

I think I may have already posted pics of my Zion fiddles, and there were the demo vids of the new Z amp. (sorry for the terrible YouTube video quality, but I had to sacrifice video quality to preserve the audio, and isn't audio what the whole point was?)

I can't post a direct linky to my guitar pics (at work), but you can find them at PhotoBucket under my profile name of DieselGeek02

Just yesterday the UPS santa brought me the most recent goodie: a Fulltone Fulldrive 2, 10th Anniversary MOSFET.

So far it's a cool pedal-- like a $30K Dumble in a $220 steel box

This new Z amp has me hooked HUGE time-- the speakers are starting to settle in a little bit, and it sound frickin awesome-- just huge.

The only problem is that I thought my 30W amp might be a little quieter. Au Contraire, Mon Frere! I can't turn it up past TWO in the house without using the Hot Plate attenuator to knock off some dB-- it's crazy loud.

JWB-- cool pics and band name I have to say that no matter how good I ever get at guitar, I never have "the look" like you working pros do. That's the difference between a noodler like me and a real picker.

Oh, and I'm saving for a new acoustic. It may take awhile, since it will be ~ $5K. http://mcphersonguitars.com/activea....CategoryID=978

Click on the "listen to McPherson Music" link and lust after one of these amazing guitars...

Justin
Old 08-15-2006, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Commatoze
...and I of this guy:

WWJD

What Would Jamerson Do?

Father of the modern electric bass

Played on more hits that the Beatles,Beach Boys,Rolling Stones, and Elvis Presley combined.
Jamerson is like the Steve Cropper of bass
Old 08-16-2006, 01:19 AM

I see by the poll, there's someone else that might play the fiddle too... Hohn?
My 16yo daughter also plays fiddle but doesn't really love it all that much..
But then she picked up the MANDOLIN!.. Nickle Creek's Chris Thiele is her hero. Really cool to be able to play music with your kids...
I'd have my own in-house bluegrass band if I could just convince my twins to play banjo and guitar!!!

K.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:27 AM
Banned

i got me a lil` banjo i go tto help my hands.. i can still kinda play it.. got it out a few weeks ago. so i can get back into playing.. i guess ill have to start this weekend. ( been planning a weekend of nothing for a while!) so do i have to dig up a pic of me and the duellin` banjo ? btw im looking for another 50$ banjo ...
last one finally got used. i guess i`ll find some pics here and post them
Old 08-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SoTexRattler
I'd have my own in-house bluegrass band if I could just convince my twins to play banjo and guitar!!!

K.

Pappa sang bass...Momma sang tenor......type of family, no?
Old 08-16-2006, 08:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
"Nobody makes Sherriff Bufford T. Justice look like a Possum's Pecker", Jackie Gleason.

Heres the story:

Perhaps one of the top 5 all time best movies every released, amongst Fletch, Christmas Vacation, Convoy, and Cannon Ball Run, lies our all time favorite...Smokey and the Bandit! While vegin' on the couch one day eatin' Dominoes pizza while watching this movie, the light came on. After repeating the line from Jackie Gleason several times and laughing our peperonis off, we thought...hhmmm...what a great band name. From then on, it stuck. We became known as the Possum's Band.

You can also go to http://www.possumspeckerband.com/bandname.htm for sound clips of Bufford T. Justice and other good stuff. The sound clips are great.

Be sure to click on the "germans" link. You'll get a kick out of that one!
Thats the best movie ever made!

"the germans had nothin to do with it!"
Old 08-16-2006, 10:34 AM

Sorry, I'm guilty of referring to my electric guitars as "fiddles" sometimes.

I just posted a new video of the new pedal to You Tube under my profile name (dieselgeek02).

justin
Old 08-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HOHN
Sorry, I'm guilty of referring to my electric guitars as "fiddles" sometimes.
Funny story. I guess some folks refer to a guitar as an "axe" sometimes. I did not know that. One night we are up on stage and this dude comes up to Shane and says, "nice axe," refering to his guitar. I heard, "nice ***," which did not sound like "axe" with all the other noise. I had to pause and ask Shane what some dude is doing coming up and telling him he has a nice butt. Shortly after that, I started to play the Broke Back Mountain song. No, not an actual song form the movie, because I refuse to watch it, but a fancy little jingle about that type of crap. It gets requested almost everytime we play. "I watch the herd from dusk 'til dawn....but I do it with my britches on!"
Old 08-16-2006, 11:11 AM

the local radio station plays a song called "stand behind your cowboy" to the tune of "rhinestone cowboy"
Old 08-16-2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Pappa sang bass...Momma sang tenor......type of family, no?
Not exactly.. It's just me and the kids that seem to have music in our blood.
I won't claim to be able to play the guitar, but the fiddle is my favorite. All three of my kids have got good voices and the twins play the piano pretty well... Let 'em get that and more music theory under their belts before I try to distract them with another instrument. (guitar I hope?)
The oldest and I have a common love of playing Celtic and some classical music together... But, she's a typical teenager and some of the other music she likes is Although, I too can instigate a teenager meltdown reaction with the likes of some John Hartford, or even some Del McCoury stuff...

K.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Chapter President

I have been axe wielding for 17 years......mostly electric (bit of a metalhead), some accoustic.

Been in and out of several bands in my twenties and now just pluck away as a hobby and therapy!
Old 08-16-2006, 03:00 PM

got a Bacon/Day 5 string banjo and a 1917 Martin 4 string tenor guitar i "play at".
Also piddle around with a Yamaha keyboard Blues harp and the trumpet
Old 08-16-2006, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have two Fender Strat's both with 60's wiring and custom pickups. Both made in the USA. I play them through a Classic Wah pedal...Tube Screamer...Blues Driver...(very old)Electroharmonix LPB-2, into a 1972 Fender Super reverb, and a 1968 Fender Bassman head with a homemade cabinet with two 30watt Celestions. Needless to say when I crank them up the fatness is excellent...(so is the shaking of the house). You can't beat an old tube amp for cranked blues.

I once had someone ask me why I lugged "those old amps around?" I turned up to 8, and played some leads... and he smiled and said..."Ah ha!"

Quick Reply: Where's all the guitar players?