Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

WHERE to be a cop

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHERE to be a cop

Quick question.....If it were you guys would you rather be a cop in MN or ND I know there are alot of plus' and minus' for both what do you guys think I love both states
Old 02-11-2008, 12:02 AM

Look at how pays better and has better benefits. Are you thinking State Trooper or local or Sheriff? I would go with the troopers.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:15 AM

why do you want to be a cop?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:20 AM

Lots of things to take into consideration.

Go ask the boys that work there, see what they say.

Some times there are more perks than just the base starting pay.

Like Career enhancement pay. Longevity, how much do they contribute to health care and stuff like that. Starting pay, how long till you get a raise...what is the top out pay.....

Whats the weather like? Whats the cost of living like? What is the Crime Rate......Do they issue you your duty firearm......Your Vest? Your Uniform?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:27 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sent ya a PM Cummins....
Old 02-11-2008, 12:43 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Talk with current employees about the administration, DA and local Judicial system. If any one of those is outa whack it could be a real headache or worse.....
Old 02-11-2008, 01:02 AM

I grew up in MN, Wayzata to be exact, and I feel most relaxed there. I want to be a cop because I love helping people so i figured I might as well be paid for it. The biggest down fall to staying in ND is If my wife is wanting to stay in her field, Athletic training, then we are limited to the major cities in ND and they have such a high number of applicants that it is hard to het hired. So i feel that if we are in MN both of our careers will flourish because of the oppertunities where in ND they are limited.

Also I would be looking at local PD's and county sheriff's. would not mind to be a trooper but for now I would take what i could find but one day want to work for the feds. Ie DEA ATF...ect...
Old 02-11-2008, 01:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If the agencies you are looking for have a ride along program, that's a good way to get a peek at how a department runs.

Do you have a degree in the field or related experience?
Old 02-11-2008, 01:27 AM

I have Both in a way.

I have a 4yr. B.S. in Criminal Justice and four months exp. being a deputy sheriff in Beach ND...Dont ask about not doing that anymore just say i'm from the twin cities and they have a county of 1500 people.....

Now I would have to take community college corses to become post cert. in MN but I have a great job lined up building swiming pools that I have done for about 4 yrs as a summer job that just called me to come back
Old 02-11-2008, 04:30 AM

As a general rule:

State=less pay but better benefits.

Sheriff=low pay, usually good benefits.

City=best pay, OK benefits

Feds-----Not impressed with 99.9% of them. If you do go Fed be prepared to move every 3-4 years. Also be prepared to take a job anywhere in the US.

If I had to do it all over again I would have gone with the state. My mid-size city pays officers better than the state pays their sgts, and almost as much as a Lt. But with the state my insurance would be paid for life after I retired.

Shop around. No matter what the recruiters say, I don't know one dept that isn't short staffed.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:33 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mwlu711
why do you want to be a cop?
Why not???
Old 02-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could always come to Austin and work for one of the highest paying departments in the nation. Of course, you have to work for a chief who folds to political pressure and won't back you if you have to shoot someone.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:35 PM

There are other forms of public service.

If I had it all to do over again, I would have been a firefighter! Don't get me wrong, I loved the people I worked with, just not the people I worked for. (THE BRASS) I, like you, always thought a life of public service would be great. And for the most part it was. But politics always has a way of screwing things up.

Someone you work along side of for years, gets elected as your boss. You and your other co-workers work your butts off to help get them elected, thinking, "he's one of US, he's going to help US get the changes made to help make our jobs safer, better paid and more enjoyable."

But now his retirement check doesn't come from the same account that yours will, and suddenly he doen't have a dog in that race anymore.

Well there comes a time when you realize that even though you got into the job to serve the public and knew you were never going to be rich, you didn't realize that you were going to wind up on the job until you reached social security retirement. The people who have the power to change the situation really don't care what happens.

People always say, "Where are the cops when you need them?" Well, they are dealing with a call from some 8 year old kids Mom & Dad, who can't get the kid to get out of bed and go to school and they expect you to raise their children for them. Some of those calls make for great stories. When given the chance, I use them as a means of birth control for my younger friends who are thinking about becoming parents when they are still kids themselves. Maybe someday I will write a book, that's how I'll retire.

All I can tell you is this. EVERYBODY LOVES A FIREFIGHTER!! Have you ever heard about one being sued for trying to do their job? Besides around here, they only work ten days a month.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You didn't list it as an option but I'll throw this out anyway. CA Dep't. of Corrections has been called the "best entry level job in the state".

Starting pay is near $5K a month, fully paid health and dental, great vacation and other bennies and retire at age 50 with 75% pay or 55 at 90%, depending on years of service. Initial placement is at a 16 week academy where you earn your POST Certification before assignment to a prison.

Currently they have high vacancy rates in some facility locations where they fast track the hiring process. A few experienced officers in those facilities earn over $100K/ year with overtime hours, more than the governor.

I'm not a recruiter for the state, just a 65 year old retired prison guard who left before benefits got this high but still is enjoying his fairly comfortable existance.

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Career_Opport...POR/Index.html

Dan
Old 02-11-2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by MOCOP
If I had it all to do over again, I would have been a firefighter!
I'll second that!!!

Quick Reply: WHERE to be a cop