Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Wheel Lift vs Tow Dolly

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wheel Lift vs Tow Dolly

I oftentimes have to move or haul a car/truck that I'm working on and I have a 16' car trailer that I use for that but recently I've been considering buying a 2-wheel tow dolly or building a wheel lift to go under the back of a truck so that I don't always have to use the trailer. As I see it, the dolly has the advantage of being able to be used with any truck as a tow vehicle but the wheel lift has the advantage of not having to tow an empty trailer/dolly on the trip out or back {depending on which direction the load is going} as well as the advantage of always being with you when you find those special deals and there are 2 less tires to possibly go flat.

Has anyone built a wheel lift or used one of the repo-style under truck units? Looks fairly simple to build if you don't get too fancy. Just has to be strong.

Whatever I would do would be for personal use only, not for hire.

Tell me what you think.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no idea about your state laws regarding "towing" (not trailering, but actual towing like a tow truck/wrecker) but here in N.H. we have to meet certain requirements if we "tow" vs. trailering. For example, an amber strobe light is required, an extra set of turn signals/tail lights is required at a height to be seen above the vehicle, and a few other things. No special licenses, just a bit of setup for the truck. You state might not require all that though.

For simplicity, a tow dolly wins. No hydraulics to set up like a wheel lift. No mods to the truck at all. Usually a dolly will be much cheaper. You can find them used for $500; try finding an wheel lift for less than several thousand.

For ease of use and convenience, a wheel life would be great. Like you said, you don't need to tow an empty trailer, no extra tires to worry about, etc.

Jim
Old 08-27-2005, 11:34 AM

wheel lift would be most convenient, but expensive.... tow dollys are cumbersome to back up with compared to trailer.... some things dont always fit on the tow dolly that easily... if you use a tow dolly, you may need an extra set of magnetic tail/turn lights to stick on the back of the towed vehicle, but that is easy and inexpensive. The trailer is multi-purpose and is easy to back up with if necessary. plenty of things to think about.....
Old 08-27-2005, 10:32 PM

adding a stinger to the back of your truck is quite a job. I really dont think it would be worth it unless your considering getting into the towing business (and a 1 ton pickup w/ a stinger barely cuts it for that)

Id just use the trailer, easier to maneuver, dont have to worry about pulling drivelines, and can be used for other purposes.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm surprised that no one has tried to build their own. Looks pretty straight forward as long as you forego the fancy automatic stuff. As far as hydraulics go, that's an option but I'm also looking at a winch cable lift system as well as an airbag lift system. Think outside the box, you know?

Thanks for the replies. Other opinions welcome.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:45 PM

ive seen one 3500 drw in ny w/ it .iv also seen stuff on the web that are retro for our trucks.wheel lift vs tow dolly wheel lift all the way and self loader type you dont have to get out for nothung except for straping