Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What would you do with ~5 acres of land??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j-fox
Ok here is what I come up with. Fence part of it off, start some grass for a sod farm, buy the goats, Plant some trees.
Now you qualify for a farm credit loan with subsidies.
Then start a small cemetery, with a church. Now you are tax free.
Get some graves in, move the fruit trees to areas between the graves.Goeats will keep it mowed and trim. you won't need to fertilize and as the occupants will pust the flowers and trees up. Goats will eat the flowers, weeds and grass.
you have income from the sod, plots, u-pick-em trees and if daring enough, some canibis(cash crops), you will have very little to do!!!
Oh, give a free plot to the sherriff.
Just need to keep the goats away from the cannabis, otherwise that fine plan may go awry.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talk about eating the profits!!!!!!
Would it make the goats lazy???
Here you go,---do a research program on the effects of pot on goats, recieve a grant for it!!!
It is a hemp of an idea!!!!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:56 PM

I should have put in the first post that I already have a 42X60 Morton building and probably putting up another one before too long.

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
Moto track? Maybe a shifter cart track? Or both???????
There will be a Motocross track around the perimeter and I was thinking of some kind of a X in the middle or somewhere!!!! The terrain is perfect for it.

Originally Posted by rip 112
or money trees!!!

I'd say plant you a variety of orchard trees, pears, apples, maybe even plums and a patch of strawberries. Then you could beat you a decorative path and have you plenty of shade.

I like your idea RIP but its hard to grow anything except apples up here in Minnesota!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by TIMMY22
Christmas trees would be a good idea if you think you could retail them right out of your yard. 6x6 spacing you could fit 1000 trees per acre/ $30-40 ea. Plant 200 the first year, 400 the second year and 500 per year thereafter. It will take you 6 or 8 years to fill it up, by then you'll be selling and replanting the spots where you cut.

They are a lot of work but if you get what you give.

TIMMY,

I'm leaning toward the Christmas trees, and thinking about a Cut-your-own!!! I am on the outskirts of a city where the people would not have to drive far and I think it could be very profitable 6-8 years down the road.

Originally Posted by Crankous
Cannabis...lots of cannabis... I heard the profit margin is quite a bit higher than Grand Fir Nobles...

LMFAO LMFAO HAHAHAHAHA

There are no neighbors within a mile or more and I have already seen some sick ditch grass across the road so it might blend in well.......................... if I want to have the house and property siezed in the first year of ownership.

Originally Posted by Tate
Just need to keep the goats away from the cannabis, otherwise that fine plan may go away.
Originally Posted by j-fox
Talk about eating the profits!!!!!!
Would it make the goats lazy???
Here you go,---do a research program on the effects of pot on goats, recieve a grant for it!!!
It is a hemp of an idea!!!!

YOU GUYS ARE TOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO
Old 04-22-2008, 05:03 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Back to reality,
There are organizations, if you're interested that may help you plan and provide sead for native prairy grasses. Pheasant's Forever or Whitetails forever might help if you want to do a food plot. I've also seen adds in my locality for supplying land owners with pine trees for forestation. Your local county extension or local agricultural college might be of help with planning and plant supplies too.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:49 AM

Last thing you want is hemp pollinating your crop, that would be a waste of good herb.....Hemp will not get you high and in fact will give you a headache and kill any buzz you have. And yes rope is made from hemp
Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 AM

Maybe plant alfalfa hay.
It has been a crazy year for hay. Small 60lb squares bringing $5, when 3 years ago, I could buy all I wanted for $2.50.
Thats what I'd do. 5 acres. 80 bales per acre=400 bales times 3 cuttings= 1200 bales and at $4 a bale, thats $4800/yr. That is being conservative. Good fields can get 100 per acre. You can hire the cutting and bailing, fairly cheap.
On five acres, you could find some small used hay equipment for a reasonable price.

Orchards are a lot of work, christmas trees sound better, or any tree farm for that matter, people pay tons for trees for lanscaping, go look as some landscape places. In Iowa, last I checked, tree farming still qualifies as Agricultural. Deductions! Plus, trees may help the value of your property.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Chapter President

I have goats, mixed and pygmy. Have had boer goats and they get sick easy. Seems from what I've read they get sick easier. All mine, two or three have died and been dumped in the back for the wildlife. Figure dewormer, $20 for a small bottle, I have 14 and can use a whole bottle at one time. Giving shots when needed, hay and feed in the winter. Feed and hay prices are up, you can deduct your farm expense but if you show a loss for more than three years the fed is gonna want their money back. Have to show a profit at some point. My goats keep my yard freshly mowed since it is a horrible hillside that no mower can concour. Figured I'd go with pygmy's after having mixed goats and not making money for so many years, now I have pygmy's and still not making anything. But I suppose I may need to advertise to the pet goat people that I am selling them

Fresh fruits that was a good idea with the fruit trees and strawberries....call them organic..big market for that kind of stuff. Christmas trees, would seem to be pretty low maintenance and the cut your own idea is great. How many of us remember going out into the woods to get a tree with dad or grandpa?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by roughstock
You can hire the cutting and bailing, fairly cheap.
On five acres, you could find some small used hay equipment for a reasonable price.
I wouldn't count on that. With the price of diesel the way it is, I don't see custom operators running for cheap this year. Plus, since you would be looking at small acreage, the rates may be a little higher as well.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:18 PM

I really like the berries patch or a organic garden, Maybe a communal garden where people can rent a section to grow their own veggies, In some areas that has gone over pretty good.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:57 PM

Put up a pole barn big enough for 2 semi's in the middle of the property. Put service pits in the floor. Rent the barn to owner operators to do their own maintenance. Use their used oil to heat the place. Then around the outside have multiple parking spaces for big trucks (many people don't have room at home). Charge a monthly rate for parking. Install Electric meters at each spot and they can have electricity for block heaters, and they would be responsible for the electricity for their own use. They do something similar at campgrounds for seasonal camp sites.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:56 PM

Ever thought about a camper and boat storage place. Those places have to be a gold mine. I really wish I would have done this about 10 or 15 years ago. Think about it.

Mike L.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:26 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

We had a mini golf in the area and it was a gold mine,had to get a reservation almost to go on. If you have traffic going passed it will go like a wild fire.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by PEAKSTRYDE

I'm leaning toward the Christmas trees, and thinking about a Cut-your-own!!! I am on the outskirts of a city where the people would not have to drive far and I think it could be very profitable 6-8 years down the road.
Contact your closest state forestry office and ask them. Unlike most of the suggestions you have received so far, you might hear something useful from those folks.

And if you do go with the goats, just remember, if it sits above ground level, it's a mountain to them, and their sole aim in life will be to get to the top. How's the paint job on your truck?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by sjsalv
Put up a pole barn big enough for 2 semi's in the middle of the property. Put service pits in the floor. Rent the barn to owner operators to do their own maintenance. Use their used oil to heat the place. Then around the outside have multiple parking spaces for big trucks (many people don't have room at home). Charge a monthly rate for parking. Install Electric meters at each spot and they can have electricity for block heaters, and they would be responsible for the electricity for their own use. They do something similar at campgrounds for seasonal camp sites.

I Like this idea the best but it is also a large startup cost which I do not have at this time. I'm in a great location to do it and there is nothing close by like this.

Originally Posted by mlockner
Ever thought about a camper and boat storage place. Those places have to be a gold mine. I really wish I would have done this about 10 or 15 years ago. Think about it.

Mike L.

This is another great idea that I have also thought about and there is no possibility of this through the city without a paved place to park. In the past I have tangled with them about parking on class 5, crushed concrete, etc and they are afraid of pollution!!!!!

The city: "You never know whats leaking and cantaminating the ground."

My thought w/o reply: You think its not going to seep over the years through the pavement????????????????????
Old 04-24-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like fishing? Got access to a dozer for free or cheap (friends)? Got some time on your hands? You could build you a little pond and stock it, build a nice little dock, then charge your buddies to fish on it.