Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What will happen to the Duramax?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GhettoVaquero
America needs these big companies and they need them to be successful and stay OWNED in America. I love my Ram and DC but this nation cannot afford to have GM and Ford go under. I with them both the best. Competition is what makes our rigs better and as much as we may not like PSD or Dmax we need them as much as they need us.......

EXACTLY!!!!! I 110% agree.

I could not have said it better myself, even if I wrote 5 times as much as I did above.

Ben
Old 02-08-2007, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by duratothemax
blah blah blah GM is gonna fizzle, they are bankrupt blah blah....

I know im biased, but this is what the liberalish media does. Blow things out of proportion. I mean come on, think about it. Do you really think GM is just going to all of a sudden vaporize in the next year?

none of the big three are going anywhere, despite what deep crap some are in, they will manage a way out of it. They always have and always will. People have been saying GM will go bankrupt and fail for the past 10 years. 10 years ago people were saying GM would be long gone by now. Every year they launch new cars and projects, just as Ford and DC do. The GMT-800 series trucks and SUV's are retired and their latest effort, the GMT-900's is turning out to be a great success, despite what the technical "numbers" and media sudjest. I see more and more new GM's, dodges, and fords on the road every day. Ive been all through the Fort Drum military base in NY and I see PARKING LOTS (I mean hundreds) of GM trucks that are govt fleet vehicles. Thats the way it is up here at school in upstate NY. At home (CT) EVERY fleet vehicle/commercial/construction/contractor vehicle is a Super Duty.

basically the point im making is you can either listen to the media and live every day in fear that you are "1 day closer to doomsday" or you can just take each day as it comes from a real world "actual" point of view.

Just like the latest hype that GM is going to sell allison. Yeah right. One little peep somewhere that was heard by the media and they blow it up out of proportion. The LCT-1000 is by far the BEST thing going for the GM 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, GM knows that, they keep improving it each year. They are constantly adding little changes to the trans that, if you know transmissions, blatantly sudjests that they are futureproofing it here and there, not riding the same wave until its dead. Same thing for dodge with the Cummins. Years ago people were blabbing about how they were going to drop the Cummins contract and there would be Mercedes engines in the trucks by now. Ya right...if they were going to make a huge change (ie, drop the cummins) they would have done it on the 2007 mid year changeover to the new emmissions-compliant engines, because it would have been a perfectly realistic time to drop it. Same thing with the next gen GMT-900 HD trucks. The duramax and allison are going to dissapear! BS. GM seems to keep truck/SUV generations on a ~8 year rotation or so. They distinctly designed the -900 HD's around the dmax/allison and have made many other changes to sudjest that neither are going anywhere for a long time. So whatever the media says, the technical real-world design view of it says that the dmax/allison will be around for a MINIMUM of another 8 years or so. If they were going to put a Cat in it (oh god another stupid rumor that has not one thread of truth that makes me want to blow my top, "my mothers uncles sisters mailman said that GM is going to be switching to a Cat engine"), they would have done it at the GMT-900 switchover. Plus, think about it....they 100% bought out the duramax design, name, etc from Isuzu, and then basically dumped Isuzu, why would they go thru that time, effort, and money, if they are going to drop the duramax alltogether in the future. They are futureproofing the dmax consistantly in order to work with their situation, and keep the engine design alive for a LONG time. IE, switching over from Delphi electronics and ECM's to the new Bosch stuff on the LBZ. Same thing with the interior radios and electronics, switching from Delco/Delphi to Nippon/Denso. Delphi is basically defunct, and if GM was in this so-called deep trouble, failing, about to die, yady yady yady, they would have given up all hope and fizzled when their once-main supplier of stuff (delphi) dried up.

I could go on but I realized this is getting to be a novel.

basically all im saying is take everything you hear with a grain of salt. The truth is NO ONE knows the future (even tho the media wants you to think they do) about anything and things can change at the drop of a hat. A long long long time ago humans were dragging stuff around on the ground. If there was media back then they probably would have said "ohh boy this doesnt look good, we cant move big things around, if we keep going like this we will be all dead soon because we wont be able to build shelter, find food, etc, we're basically screwed!!" Then one day some dude comes out of nowhere and invents this crazy new contraption called the wheel!! Bingo! The future changed, human evolution found a way, despite what the situation looked like before the wheel.

anyways, thats just my humble oppinion, take it or leave it. But every time I walk out to my truck and get sad because "wow I have a dinosaur!" its only because GMT-800 production has given way to the new GMT-900's, NOT because its going to be the last thing on earth with a bowtie.

Ben

I didn't get my information from the liberal media... thankfully
I have recieved it from investment advisors. The info may be of public record or not, but I pay for my research. Anyway, I don't wish bad will to any one person or mega-company. Just was passing along info I though was interesting and actually shocking.
btw- sounds like you have one wicked Dmax...
Old 02-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trik396
I didn't get my information from the liberal media... thankfully
I have recieved it from investment advisors. The info may be of public record or not, but I pay for my research. Anyway, I don't wish bad will to any one person or mega-company. Just was passing along info I though was interesting and actually shocking.
btw- sounds like you have one wicked Dmax...

no no I wasnt targeting any of that at you, I was just saying that in frustration towards the media in general.

eh, my truck gets me from A to B, be it loaded with a trailer for work or empty and a little faster.

but come on, everyone knows that these goats and angry slanty-eyed trucks (I cant think of what a ford looks like, I only see the cabs of them sitting on pallets outside the dealer service garage) are big and slow and only for work.

I dunno, I must have done something right, I have a LILLY and the coolant temp guage never moves when im towing!

ben
Old 02-08-2007, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GhettoVaquero
Showever, look down under and you see RWD cars with GM and Ford alive a well. we will be getting Aussie spec cars soon with the Pontiac G8 (check out my Pontiac G8 thread)
We already have... the GTO. It's a Holden, and it's been on the market in Australia for years. It's not making it here because GM doesn't know how to market it.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lgp9999
It's not making it here because GM doesn't know how to market it.

kinda like quadrasteer
Old 02-08-2007, 03:53 PM

We already have... the GTO. It's a Holden, and it's been on the market in Australia for years. It's not making it here because GM doesn't know how to market it.
very true, seems the GTO was a hasty tranistion. i think too many people knew what a "GTO" should look like and what they brought over was not it. looking like a big Cavalier does not help either. The Vauxhall Monaro VXR looks a lot different and all they did was change the front and rear facisa. Looking at the new G8 I think they have learned their lesson.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:37 PM

I agree the new GTO was plain ugly... but what an incredible drivetrain. Now why doesn't GM make a muscle car. I mean, something to compete with a Charger w/ a Corvette LS-whatever, and a manual 6-speed. That is something I could go for in a big way. And I think to call that other car a "Malibu" is a dishonor to the legendary Chevelles of the 60's-70's...
Old 02-08-2007, 05:13 PM

this is still GMs wost naming debacle.....

Pontiac Daeowoo LeMans!

Old 02-08-2007, 05:16 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

What about the delorean?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Banned

All of the Duramax's are going to explode you guys wait and see the end is near.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
In all fairness to GM, I have a buddy that worked on the GTO project, and the original concept was to deliver it for 25-27K, about the time it hit the marlet, the Aussie dollar spiked relative to the USD and the price went way past the target. I was ready to buy one at 27, but not for 34.

They are discounting them to 26-27 around here, and they are selling well, too bad its at a loss.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stock03
The Caprice I think only shared similarities with maybe one Buick model?

Besides, the Caprice (even though it was available with the LT1 in the 94 model) was not reliable or easy to work on.
The Crown Vic has proven itself to be a rock solid and “mechanic-friendly”
Not reliable or easy to work on?? Based on what?
The caprice, Impala, Buick Roadmaster all ran 5.7l Chevy engines. The same basic small block they started in the late 50's and virtually identical to any small block produced from the late 60's up to current models. In fact, the only significant changes to the Chevy 350 from say 1968 to 1990's, aside from emissions is fuel injection and electronic ignition.

By the way, how many compeltely different small block V8 engines has ford had in the same time period?......Quite a few. Windsors, Clevelands, M models, Triton engines. Even similar models w/ seemingly the same engines, close in age have many different internal parts.
Not bashing Ford, as their Triton V8's now are very reliable, but go try to change the sparkplugs on one and report back to me in a couple days after you finally can locate them all! (Being sarcastic, but it's a PITA for sure)
Old 02-09-2007, 09:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trik396
I agree the new GTO was plain ugly... but what an incredible drivetrain. Now why doesn't GM make a muscle car. I mean, something to compete with a Charger w/ a Corvette LS-whatever, and a manual 6-speed. That is something I could go for in a big way. And I think to call that other car a "Malibu" is a dishonor to the legendary Chevelles of the 60's-70's...
Personally I like the car, and I don't mind the body. It is a little tame, probably too tame to wear the GTO badge, but I still have a soft spot for it.

Couldn't agree more with the Malibu example. The late 80s Nova, late 80s LeMans, Monte Carlo, Impala... even the Grand Prix are all good examples in addition to that. GM seems to think that by putting these classic names on these new pieces of garbage that they'll sell just for the name, when all they're doing is bastardizing the classics.

I'll probably have someone disagree with the Grand Prix as they're pretty silly quick in GTP form, but if you've ever been around a nice old one you'll know what I'm talking about. It went from this:

to the FWD we have today.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
I have a bunch of people that would tend to disagree with you.

As for reliability? My low mile 94 has 180K, 142K of which was LEO duty. 1 Tranny and a water pump, brakes, tires, etc.

I guess Furds run longer in your neck of the woods, but here, by the time they hit 150K, they basically are scrap metal.

Im not automatically bashing the CV, because they do handle better than the Caprice, but for toughness ( and easy to work on ), the Caprice had it hands down.

Give me a Gen-2 SBC over the Mod motor any day of the week.
I have had both. And I drove them very hard...almost as hard as a rental car! And even though my family used to be "Chevy" all the way, I was impressed with the CV. I’ve had three, and they were all very reliable. They were only in the shop for PM's...oh yeah, tires too. The Caprice, on the other hand, had A/C issues all the time. Some of the mechanics would tell me the Caprices were hard to work on. They were thrilled when the fleet changed to CV.

Again, from my experience, the CV is tougher, handles better, stops better, and is an all-around better car. I know the Caprice (LT1) was quicker. And it rode like a Cadilac. But that’s where it ended. I have been in high mileage Caprices and CV. And again, the CV's seem to be less "tired" than the Caprices.

One more thing, I'm not bashing the Caprice. I don't know for sure why Chevy stopped making the rear-wheel drive police-package cars either. But from my experience, the CV was on the road more and in the shop less than the Caprice.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Redleg
???? Only issue I remember with the caprice was brakes always getting repaired because they were too light for the big car?

When we went to the Fords the 1st year, I had 3 cylinders burn up. They were gonna try to pin it on me til they got ahold of fleet service, who told them to stand-fast, they had 13 more sitting there with the same problem. Not to mention the rear end explosions and fuel-shut off issues. Electrical issues constantly, etc..
Didn't the Caprice (in 95) have HUGE rotors all around?

As far as burned pistons go, my 1st CV (99) always pinged. But with all the "easy miles I put on it , it never went down.

So far, no rear-end explosions out here. I know AZ (Phoenix maybe?) has had a few. I guess they haven't fixed that issue yet?