Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What will happen to the Duramax?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What will happen to the Duramax?

Just something I've been thinking about while going over financial reports from the Big 3. DaimlerChrysler is doing pretty good financially. Ford just posted record losses and is involved in a huge restructuring. GM on the other hand, seems to be in a ship that has already sunk, but the rest of the country hasn't noticed yet... General Motors has lost so much money in the last ten years the only way they have survived is by selling cars and trucks at huge losses in order to keep production numbers high (makes absolutely no sense). And they have financed their debt with creditors they will be unable to pay in 2007. Rough estimates of the interest payment for GM to it's lenders add up to 14-16,000,000,000 in 2007. That's billions folks, and they will not have the money. So either these private equity financial institutions will take over GM or GM will have to refinance its debt at an even higher rate this year than the past, and they still will not be able to cover the note... I'm kinda amazed that the General sells $50,000 Duramax pickups at a loss... WOW! What will happen to the Duramax, and the Vette, and the Caddy...
Old 02-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I watched part of TrucksTV on Spike over the weekend.
It looked like a 1/2 hour infomercial for the Chevy Truck.
There's also an actual Chevy Truck infomercial that has been on one of the cable channels several times.
It looks like they have plenty to spend on advertising, just no money to actually build something that folks will want to buy.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford owns Isuzu.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before long, Ford may own GM.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:23 PM

Ummmm...Not a chance. Ford lost $12 Billion and change last year... Ford is losing money right now, GM is almost breaking even, with a slight loss (not including interests). Ford is about to go under, unless someone steps up and does something that the Ford family has avoided for a quarter century, who that is, I don't know.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Banned

Yeh, but Ford owns Cummins.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:25 PM

Ford is in deep trouble also. Maybe Ford should've held onto that Cummins stock it had ten years ago. Cummins just hit at all time high recently... and GM loses something like $4000 on every vehicle it sells. Even if someone (the government = us taxpayers) bails them out, they still lose money. Their expenses are off the charts and this includes pension and healthcare benefits that are astronomical. All those years the auto workers union fought for these incredible benefits for their workers, and what they really accomplished was more nails in the coffin for GM. And companies like Toyota come strolling along to pick up marketshare. And if they aren't already, Toyota will be the number one automaker in the world this year. Times they are a changing...
Old 02-07-2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Need95-00CTD
Ummmm...Not a chance. Ford lost $12 Billion and change last year... Ford is losing money right now, GM is almost breaking even, with a slight loss (not including interests). Ford is about to go under, unless someone steps up and does something that the Ford family has avoided for a quarter century, who that is, I don't know.
Most advisors I know believe that GM is in far worse shape than Ford. GM owes interest of sixteen thousand millions for 2007. 16,000 millions. 16billion. Thats almost 44million dollars every day.
You know the definition of a billion. When I was young, my father schooled me. One million seconds is 13 days. One billion seconds is 35 years. big difference.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by phloop
Yeh, but Ford owns Cummins.

Get it straight huh, it`s CumminGs
Old 02-07-2007, 05:26 PM

well if you ask me I think its sad, not only for ford or gm but america. Do you think Ford, Chevy or even dodge are bad trucks? What if the future brings only toyota sized trucks?

What will happen to Duramax? I hope they do record business with FORD and DODGE. They are the best of the best, and i wish the best to all american companies.

Major railroad runs through here the majority of the boxcars say china shipping on them Keep it real folks buy American products
Old 02-07-2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by stickbow
well if you ask me I think its sad, not only for ford or gm but america. Do you think Ford, Chevy or even dodge are bad trucks? What if the future brings only toyota sized trucks?

What will happen to Duramax? I hope they do record business with FORD and DODGE. They are the best of the best, and i wish the best to all american companies.

Major railroad runs through here the majority of the boxcars say china shipping on them Keep it real folks buy American products
What he said. There are different ways to wage war and we are under the severest of attacks, economically. In time, folks like us will disappear. There will be the rich and everyone else. Don't wish failure here in America, your children and grandchildren are at stake.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:33 PM

in diesel power they say the new Dmax that fits the new emissions law is nothing more than an interim soultion basically saying it is an <edit> attempt of getting the Dmax compliant. Ford had to rebuild the 6.0 so it would at least work right let alone be compliant and Cummins built up a proper compliant rig from what I can tell. No telling what GM will do, maybe they will get a CAT mill like everyone keeps talking crazy about and steal it form Toyota......harr......
Old 02-07-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trik396
All those years the auto workers union fought for these incredible benefits for their workers, and what they really accomplished was more nails in the coffin for GM.
You mean Unions are bad for the economy???

Sarcasm... just another service I offer.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
I watched part of TrucksTV on Spike over the weekend.
It looked like a 1/2 hour infomercial for the Chevy Truck.
There's also an actual Chevy Truck infomercial that has been on one of the cable channels several times.
It looks like they have plenty to spend on advertising, just no money to actually build something that folks will want to buy.
They also had heavy rotation during the Superbowl.
60 second long High Definition commercials, at least 3 or 4 of them.

That's about 15-20 million to run the ads.(based on 2.5 mil per 30 seconds)
No idea how much it costs to make a minute long HD commercial though, but it's gotta be up there.

phox
Old 02-07-2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by grantx5
What he said. There are different ways to wage war and we are under the severest of attacks, economically. In time, folks like us will disappear. There will be the rich and everyone else. Don't wish failure here in America, your children and grandchildren are at stake.
thats right my friend I pray for my children and grand children

Quick Reply: What will happen to the Duramax?