Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

what speed is "normal" on your local interstate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ctd
we lived near Fort Eustis for years....and i worked at the Navy Base in Norfolk.
had to be at work at 0530.

i could get out on warwick blvd, and set the cruise at 65mph, and make EVERY stop light in that 35mph zone all the way down to Oyster point, then get on 95 and really let it roll

those city stop lights were timed perfectly for 65mph.

Haha, yeah they are timed just right, thats how i drive to work at the shipyard....City just got a grant to retime all the lights on Jefferson, so you'll be able to do it on that road, too.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have three major roads I-40, I-27 and US287. The last two, traffic usually moves no faster than 75 because of all the black and whites sitting everywhere ready to give tickets. I-40 is a different story though. East of Amarillo traffic moves around 80 or so but once you get on the west side of Amarillo its a free for all. There are lots of people running 90+. A couple months ago the city set up a radar and were clocking people running over 100 in the city limits. Its crazy and they haven't done much about it. It is a nice smooth wide road though.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:48 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

On I35 & I37 is posted 60 mph to 70mph depending if you are passing through a city, construction or out of town. People run netween 65-85mph.

I keep it at 1800rpm so I can set cruise control for virtually 7hrs unless I need to fight traffic. Running that speed/rpm saves me anywhere from .5-2 mpg by the end of the tank.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I-37 near me. I don't care what speed other people do, I just set my cruise at 2000 RPM, which usually puts me at about 71.5-72 mph. I get passed a lot, but I wind up going around a few myself. When I go below 70, around 67.5-78.5, I still get that well know shudder/shake thing going on. And yes, my speedo is re-set for my tires, and verified via GPS.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisJohnson
I-37 near me. I don't care what speed other people do, I just set my cruise at 2000 RPM, which usually puts me at about 71.5-72 mph. I get passed a lot, but I wind up going around a few myself. When I go below 70, around 67.5-78.5, I still get that well know shudder/shake thing going on. And yes, my speedo is re-set for my tires, and verified via GPS.
That's my experience too. Both traffic and that shudder on the truck. I've always blamed the 285/70 TGs. Is there an known problem on the sbqc trucks?

I came down and ran Beach to Bay this weekend. So glad I wasn't driving in that traffic.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:08 PM

Hey Shorts, my son and I worked one of the water stops for his Boy Scout Troop! You may have run past us! Anyway, I see I misstyped in my last post! Only get the shudder under 69-70 mph! And yes, there is a known problem with this, I also had it on my 03 QCSB 4X4 3500(RIP)! Don't know what the fix is, I just try to avoid that certain speed!
Old 05-22-2011, 02:24 PM

Hey Shorts, my son and I worked one of the water stops for his Boy Scout Troop! You may have run past us! Anyway, I see I misstyped in my last post! Only get the shudder under 69-70 mph! And yes, there is a known problem with this, I also had it on my 03 QCSB 4X4 3500(RIP)! Don't know what the fix is, I just try to avoid that certain speed!
Yup the shudder is around the 65 mark for me. So i bump it up one or two mph until it clears to set cruise.

What station did yall work? Thank yall for volunteering. The water stations were much needed! I ran leg 1. Then was stranded on the island for a couple hours due to traffic and the shuttle service. Didnt get to the shopping center until 11am. I was done running at 740! I hope the transportation plan gets revised for next year.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:49 PM

We had both stations on Park road 22,the first leg of the race, and yes traffic was bad trying to get off the island! And it was "Heck" trying to get off the island! And I didn't drive the truck there. Let me know when you come down around these parts again! And back to the subject--many pass me when I'm doing the limit, or a couple over, but I notice a lot going way under the limit, and by just "looking", I can tell they're not legal! Maybe another post needs to be started about all the illegals that drive around all the time! And I just don't mean the types with a broken tail light!
Old 05-22-2011, 03:44 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Out here its one freeway, I-5 North and South with speeds posted at 60 MPH and 70 MPH depending on population density.

I usually run 5 over what's posted and have never had trouble even getting radar'd by the Troopers. However in Seattle your usually looking at 35-50 depending on traffic and idiot driver ratio.

On I-90 East and West I usually go 75 w/o any trouble in the past 19 years.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:44 PM

We had both stations on Park road 22,the first leg of the race, and yes traffic was bad trying to get off the island! And it was "Heck" trying to get off the island! And I didn't drive the truck there. Let me know when you come down around these parts again! And back to the subject--many pass me when I'm doing the limit, or a couple over, but I notice a lot going way under the limit, and by just "looking", I can tell they're not legal! Maybe another post needs to be started about all the illegals that drive around all the time! And I just don't mean the types with a broken tail light!
I utilized both stations; the only 'walks' of my leg. Iran through wth a white ballcap that said NAVY CREW'. I'm sure yall saw 2500 or so go through so you would be able to at least remember one person out of them all, right??

I am surprised with the amount of traffic that goes just under the speed limit as well.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm in Indiana where it gives Kentucky and Illinois a wedgie. I'm about 20 miles south of I-64 where it runs between Illinois and Kentucky. (I'm S.W. of Louisville) The speed limit on most of it is 70 and traffic runs between 70-75. Faster than that, especially around the 65 mile marker will get you a ticket. Two caveats though. Going east, when you get close to Louisville it drops to 55, and they mean it.

Going west, when you cross the state line into Illinois, it drops to (I think) 65 for cars and lower for trucks and vehicles with trailers. Years ago I was heading west out of Indy and running with traffic. I kept hearing a buzzing from my pickup and couldn't figure what it was. Then I looked at the speedometer and saw I was running 95mph. Sure made good time that time.