Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

what speed is "normal" on your local interstate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been around "fast" highways all my life... lol. Grew up right off the Ohio Turnpike, where everyone runs 75+, and I-75 was just a little ways away, and we all know how that flows.... now I live in Hampton Rds area Virginia. I thought it was crazy on the turnpike back home but around here is nuts, 95 is the interstate number...not the speed limit guys lol. I just go with the flow. If everyone is running 5-7 over, thats what I do, but if there's a line of cars doin 85, I'm right in there with em
Old 05-20-2011, 07:33 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
110-120 kph depending on the highway. I generally drive at 110-120, but frequently do 130 or even 140 kph. One in a while spurt up to 180 when my wife is not with me. She bellyaches when I go over 120
Old 05-20-2011, 08:26 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I keep it somewhere around 5 to 10 over everywhere but school zones.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I tend to run right around the speed limit, more for MPG than anything.

Interstates in Indiana are generally posted 70mph. Right lane is usually under the speed limit -- you can't set the cruise at 70 and stay in the right lane without running up on people.

Left lane speeds are about 75 in 70.

I'm amazed how fast some sections of interstate get. Coming back from Lake Charles, LA all the way to Indiana, I saw it all.

Worst stretch was Memphis to Nashville. I had to run 80+ just to not get run over! Folks, this isn't Montana! They were bumper to bumper like they were qualifying at Dover or something! Unreal...
Old 05-21-2011, 12:53 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Faster than the cruiser behind you is all you need here.
Old 05-21-2011, 01:36 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by Scotty
I run between 100 and 125 here.
Some years back I got pulled over in your area for speeding with the trailer. The RCMP guy told me that he loves to write Alaskans tickets----the second time he catches them. He asked if we minded if he took a picture of our truck for his records (I didnt mind at all) and let us go. I have been a good boy around there ever since and sure appreciated his sense of humor.

Originally Posted by bkrukow
Years ago on our honeymoon we left Colorado Springs at 6 am and headed north to Denver
Everything goes faster on your honeymoon. Try the same trip 30 years later and see how slow it is.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:45 AM

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
I live right off the stretch of I-25 between Denver and Co Springs in Castle Rock that bkrukow mentioned. It is the same way today. It is only on the northbound side for some reason. People fly that stretch, slow down going through Castle Rock then ratchet it back up until they hit the southern edge of Denver. In the winter time it is not all that uncommon for the freeway to get closed in that stretch due to an accident.

Back to the original question. Here the posted limit outside of Denver on I-70 and I-25 is 75mph. I generally don't go faster than that but if I do it I generally limit it to 4 over.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:46 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I25 is 75mph. Headed south all the time to get my kids (about 30 miles from my house). its a normal occurrence to have some jack-leg in the left lane oblivious to their surroundings and usually whistling la cuca rocha. we get a few blue hairs pluggin the flow but mostly its illegals and you can spot them from a mile away.

Headed north to Sante Fe, its the indy 500. if you are not going 90 plus then you are getting run over and that aint a joke. they write more tickets in that 45 mile stretch than anywhere in the state. Headed up there a couple months ago to have dinner at a place my buddy works at, driving up and a turbo bug was on my tail (im at 85ish at this point). this chick proceeds to attempt to pass me on the right but she got blocked from a car that the convoy was passing on the left. she darted back into the left lane and drafted the convoy until she got her chance. then going up La Bajada hill (pretty steep hill and has trucker slow lanes), she jets over to the trucker slow lanes punches it an proceeds to pass the convoy going uphill. by then I was over 90 and was not going to let a bug bag me, well lets say when we past the rest area, I was around her then the red/blues were on and i freaked. got over to the right lane and was going to pull over but he whizzed by me and tagged someone else. PHEWWWWWWWW lol
Old 05-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
I tend to run right around the speed limit, more for MPG than anything...
Same here.
I can make the round trip (no trailer) with slightly more than 1/2 tank of fuel running close to the speed limit.
It's 3/4 tank or a fuel stop if I'm running at faster than 70.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
didn't know the kubota would get that wound up metric boy
Old 05-21-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live on I30 just out of Texarkana and travel it quite often. There is the occasional idiot hauling butt but I'm finding more and more people getting in behind the big trucks and easing along @ 67mph. I guess I'm getting old but my truck hasn't seen 70 in years...
Old 05-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark
Some years back I got pulled over in your area for speeding with the trailer. The RCMP guy told me that he loves to write Alaskans tickets----the second time he catches them. He asked if we minded if he took a picture of our truck for his records (I didnt mind at all) and let us go. I have been a good boy around there ever since and sure appreciated his sense of humor.

Most of them are decent if you are not going lots over the limit. Its the electric chair wannabe folks slowing traffic and emptying their KOMODOCHAIR that gets them upset. Read further down...

Everything goes faster on your honeymoon. Try the same trip 30 years later and see how slow it is.
Originally Posted by cbrahs
I25 is 75mph. Headed south all the time to get my kids (about 30 miles from my house). its a normal occurrence to have some jack-leg in the left lane oblivious to their surroundings and usually whistling la cuca rocha. we get a few blue hairs pluggin the flow but mostly its illegals and you can spot them from a mile away.

Headed north to Sante Fe, its the indy 500. if you are not going 90 plus then you are getting run over and that aint a joke. they write more tickets in that 45 mile stretch than anywhere in the state. Headed up there a couple months ago to have dinner at a place my buddy works at, driving up and a turbo bug was on my tail (im at 85ish at this point). this chick proceeds to attempt to pass me on the right but she got blocked from a car that the convoy was passing on the left. she darted back into the left lane and drafted the convoy until she got her chance. then going up La Bajada hill (pretty steep hill and has trucker slow lanes), she jets over to the trucker slow lanes punches it an proceeds to pass the convoy going uphill. by then I was over 90 and was not going to let a bug bag me, well lets say when we past the rest area, I was around her then the red/blues were on and i freaked. got over to the right lane and was going to pull over but he whizzed by me and tagged someone else. PHEWWWWWWWW lol
Originally Posted by cbrahs
didn't know the kubota would get that wound up metric boy
Like I mentioned above this senile hobbled up post...9-Volt KOMODO chairs are just too dirty for the main roads after a batch of prunes to address your [censored]

The Kubota chair runs in valet mode on the freeways to keep the blistering speed under wraps and to keep the 9-Volt geriatric pupe chairs guessing.
Take that 9-Pupe.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
SMART ALEC..............

I am always amazed at how a few MPH make such a difference in MPG. My 4.10 really shows it up. Once I go over 60 the mileage really comes down quick. At 55 holding steady over a 10 mile stretch, no load, level road, my meter showed a bit over 24. At 60 it was a bit over 23. At 70 it is 19. I usually run solo between 60 - 65 depending how far I am going. If it is a short distance I keep it down - - silly going fast to save 69 seconds. When I get old and retire I am going to go north to NY, or New England and drive slow in the left lane with my hands and fingers pointing at everything out the back window like those same license plates do down here in the winter. GGGRRRR.

Bob
Old 05-21-2011, 09:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick02Ram
I've been around "fast" highways all my life... lol. Grew up right off the Ohio Turnpike, where everyone runs 75+, and I-75 was just a little ways away, and we all know how that flows.... now I live in Hampton Rds area Virginia. I thought it was crazy on the turnpike back home but around here is nuts, 95 is the interstate number...not the speed limit guys lol. I just go with the flow. If everyone is running 5-7 over, thats what I do, but if there's a line of cars doin 85, I'm right in there with em
we lived near Fort Eustis for years....and i worked at the Navy Base in Norfolk.
had to be at work at 0530.

i could get out on warwick blvd, and set the cruise at 65mph, and make EVERY stop light in that 35mph zone all the way down to Oyster point, then get on 95 and really let it roll

those city stop lights were timed perfectly for 65mph.

Originally Posted by FiverBob
I am always amazed at how a few MPH make such a difference in MPG.

If it is a short distance I keep it down - - silly going fast to save 69 seconds. b
that's what kills me, the wife wants to ride up see grandbabies every weekend, and it is tiresome piddling along in the slow lane if we make the trip too often. so i start winding it up, and the MPG comes down.

and she starts belly aching if we get in too tight a group at that speed.
its easier just to go slow.

i just dread making road trips anymore
Old 05-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I-10 between El Paso and San Antonio is mostly 80 MPH soon to go to 85 MPH. The left lane is for passing here......so posted. I usually run at 1800 RPM or 65 MPH.....good fuel economy.......I stay out of peoples way that go 80 MPH plus.

Quick Reply: what speed is "normal" on your local interstate?