Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What should I do?(career)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
like someone said, technical careers will pay off moreso than college, they just dont always allow for promoting. hell, i made 95k last year as a medic and only had a year of schooling to get there. however, i DO NOT want to be 55 year old and waking up at 2am and getting out in the rain on the side of the road to help some jackass who spunout because he drove like a fool. make sure you think long term. like i said im only 23 and theres already things i wish i would have done different.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rick_Orcutt
Hey! No bashing the Air Force.....
I'm not bashing, just jealous...Air Force pilots get paid insane amounts of money to stay in the service and all they do is fly thousands of feet in the air out of harms way. In the Army we get a fair amount of money to stay in and fly as low as possible and get shot at everyday...but I like it
Old 01-13-2006, 02:40 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the biggest benifit in teh military for a young man in your position is that it gives you time to decide what you want out of life, and allows you to earn a paycheck, get money for college and develop as a person while you decide. As a career its not for everyone, it take a special commitment to be able to make a life out of any of the services( I didnt have it).
Law enforcement was probably the best thing I ever did with my life.But that too takes a certain mindset and personality that not everyone has.
I would realy suggest you look at the services, heck even the Nat. Guard will let you earn money for school, its time well spent, and I know of NO-ONE who regrets their time in, or hasnt siad they are a better person for it.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:45 AM

You have received some good advice on here from alot of people in alot of different fields. Stay away from drugs and alcohol and do what makes you happy is the main thing.
I have only a high school education. (actually a GED). I have worked hard all my life and probably will the rest of it. Reading this thread made me sit back and reflect on my life. My dad worked in the oilfield and had a welding business. I can thank him for teaching me to work and not depend on other people. I spent 13 years in the oilfield until it played out in about 1986. I then went to work at a plywood mill. Worked there for about 10 years until the wood products industry played out in this part of the country. Over the years I learned to weld, millwright,fit pipe, build houses,repair all kinds of machinery to mention a few. Basically work with my hands.
Then I got in the construction business building and reworking sawmills, powerplants, and lots of other manufacturing plants.
I am now building radar antennas and telescopes.
I have traveled all over the US and will be going overseas in a few months. I have a great wife that travels with me most of the time and live on the road in my RV. One of these days I will build a house and settle down in one spot but I am not ready to do that right now.
I don't have much but what I have is mine and I worked hard for it.
I am a firm believer that money will not buy you happiness.
Tonight my wife and I were sitting out by a campfire talking and enjoying the night. If I had a 5 million dollar home and 10 million in the bank I would probably be doing the same thing.
My kids and grandkids love and respect me, I love the work I do and I am a happy man.I don't owe anybody a dime and that makes a BIG difference. Don't get in debt.
As you get older, your interest will change. What seems like something "old people" do will one day be something you will enjoy doing.
Be honest, don't lie, cheat on your woman or steal.
Have faith in a superior power, what ever your religious beliefs may be.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, like you did here.
Treat people like you would want to be treated.
Pursue your dreams.
Everything will fall in place. I wish you the very best.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:24 AM

AMEN !!!

I did quite a bit of jumping around too, trying to find exactly what I wanted to do. Come to find out, it was the variety of learning to do many different jobs, moving around, meeting new people and becoming very well rounded that I enjoyed the most.

I started off working underground in the mines with my dad (part-timing it in the grocery store). Moved into the welding and fabrication shop and learned structural welding and supply stuff. Took a break and worked at the ski resort ... started getting hungry and went back to mining and running heavy equipment again. Worked with a roofing crew for a summer. Decided to take my show on the road and joined the Navy. Then I learned to be a machinist, mechanic, firefighter, manager, leader, security advisor, building management, ... blah, blah, blah ...

This life is way too short to limit yourself to doing one thing all of your life. I never fully understood why someone would pay all that $$ for college to lock themselves down to one type of job. You learn that job to its fullest and then what ??? You keep doing that job for ever ?? Some folks can do the regular 9-5 in one job all their life ... not this kid.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

PISTOL
Old 01-14-2006, 02:12 PM

AMEN!!! boiler-rat conveyed what i belive most ppl on this forum can vouch for.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:45 PM

God said let there be light, and then he created lineman. You are in the best area in the US to be one. Pay,all overtime is doubletime thats little more than $60 hr, bennifits like excellent health and life insurance, retirement, plenty of work. best blue collar job in the world if you ask me. Oh yea and a huge demand for lineman.

Jed
Old 01-15-2006, 09:53 AM

I am 44 yrs old, a navy vet of the Iran to Beirut era, have been a union laborer, furniture mover, 15yrs. as a jet mech, a skip tracer, managed a resturant, worked in a foundry,now I run my own retaining wall buisness,the only advice I can give you is this.1 Any hard labor jobs you take now, you will feel the results of physically in 20yrs.everyday. guarenteed.2 Never ever hook up with a deadbeat woman, first you look at the purse. 3 If you don't like it don't do it.4 you will find your own way, if you can't make it in America you can't make it anywhere. Good Luck.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:37 PM

I really enjoy all of this guys...you have givin me a ton of options and alot of great info. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2006, 12:45 AM

It almost sounds like a military recruiter conference in here .... .

Some have gotten their degree and then went to work, some have went to work and then got their degree and there are a few that have done one and not the other ....there is no sure road to success.

I just figure that if the end results are the same (you are eating regularly, paying the bills and are happy) then it really doesn't matter how you get there. Personally, I would rather try a job out for size FIRST and then, if I liked it and it required extra schooling to progress .. let THEM pick up the tab for it. Some of your larger civilian corporations will do that for key positions ... the GI bill and some of the other plans in the military do that for all servicemembers.

Not a big fan of having student loans follow a guy around for years until he finally finds a job that will let him pay it off (hopefully in the job field that he went into debt for ).

PISTOL