Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What NOT to be doing when lightning hits close....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 07:01 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Re:What NOT to be doing when lightning hits close....

Shortround-<br> Thanks for the clarification. I thought maybe you had some kind of virtual john or a strange way of passing the time. I mean, most people just read...
Old 06-18-2003, 08:26 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To stay in the Bat Cave with no windows or any other outside references will make you a bit strange. Or was I strange before I enter the Bat Cave?
Old 06-19-2003, 08:06 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=dodgeman01 link=board=10;threadid=16052;start=15#150774 date=1055971242]<br>Joins shovelhead <br>I have a friend that has been struck three times. He got struck the last time while we were fixing about a 2mile stretch of fence up on our hill. Scared the poopoo out of me.<br>DM01 <br>[/quote]<br><br>I believe if I was your friend I'd start buying lottery tickets. ;D
Old 06-19-2003, 08:11 AM

[quote author=phox_mulder link=board=10;threadid=16052;start=15#150810 date=1055976595]<br>Picture if you will.<br><br>Elementary school had just let out.<br>Kids congregating on the playground in small groups waiting for the busses or parents to pick them up.<br>Clouds form.<br>Neighborhood girl standing in middle of just such a group, holding an aluminum tennis racket.<br>Flash-Boom lightning strikes.<br>Group gets scattered by the force, except for one lying on the ground.<br>She dies 2 days later.<br>She was 10 years old (if I remember right)<br><br>This happened last year, mid May, at the school my 2 kids go to.<br>Luckily, they were still inside (they are slower than proverbial to come out of the school)<br>so they didn't witness the event.<br><br>There is still a small quarter sized divot in the asphalt.<br>A small pine tree surrounded by red rock with a plaque in her memory sits by the flagpole.<br>Every year on what would have been her birthday, friends decorate the tree with purple ornaments and string<br>(her favorite color)<br><br>OK, serious moment over.<br><br><br>phox<br>[/quote]<br><br>Phox....you kind of put a damper on our little thread here. That's a very unfortunate story.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:45 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

[quote author=shortround link=board=10;threadid=16052;start=30#150890 date=1055986008]
To stay in the Bat Cave with no windows or any other outside references will make you a bit strange. Or was I strange before I enter the Bat Cave?
[/quote]

No,..... you're strange, that's why they put you in the &quot;BatCave&quot;.

Levity restored
Old 06-19-2003, 11:09 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was sitting on the throne, really getting involved in my latest Photonics magazine when CLICKBOOM occured. Got finished pretty fast. Paper not required, self cleaning. <br>
<br>Are ya sure the folks explained it correctly? Sounds more like you been drip-drying
Old 06-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Chapter President

I was working in Truckee, CA one year. Way up in the mountains. One day it was cloudy with just a little sprinkle here and there, no reason to not work by any means. I had just finished connecting someones cable tv service on the telephone pole. I was working on the side of the house grounding it when I felt my hairs stand on end. Then a bright flash and off the step ladder I went. I think that I fell off from shock (mental), as I did not get burned. I seemed like lightning had just struck the pole that I had just finished on
Old 06-19-2003, 12:44 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Sounds like you were abducted, and put back. They do it that way so the injury's from the fall masks the pain from the probing and handling
Old 06-19-2003, 01:40 PM

From the Darwin Awards:<br><br>Lake in Texas. Three friends fishing in an aluminum boat. Clouds gather. Thunder rolls. Lightning flashes. All other boats head for the shore. Two guys in our little boat get as low as they can - as if it would help. Their friend, an attorney, stands up, spreads his hands over his head and yells, &quot;Here I am Lord. Let me have it!!&quot;. Lord obliges. ZAP!!!!!!!<br><br>DW
Old 06-19-2003, 01:46 PM

[quote author=DeaconWayne link=board=10;threadid=16052;start=30#151175 date=1056048019]<br>From the Darwin Awards:<br><br>Lake in Texas. Three friends fishing in an aluminum boat. Clouds gather. Thunder rolls. Lightning flashes. All other boats head for the shore. Two guys in our little boat get as low as they can - as if it would help. Their friend, an attorney, stands up, spreads his hands over his head and yells, &quot;Here I am Lord. Let me have it!!&quot;. Lord obliges. ZAP!!!!!!!<br><br>DW<br>[/quote]<br><br>Ummmm.....that didn't happen to happen in 1994 did it? Seems freakishly familiar for some reason....almost like I was there. ???
Old 06-19-2003, 01:51 PM

Gentlemen -<br><br>Was on patrol one night when a thunderstorm formed, parked my police car under a big oak tree..(1st mistake) Put the windows down like most cops do, to hear whats goin on around them..(2nd mistake) Lit a smoke, was typing on my car computer when WHAM!! Blinding flash, Couldn't hear, etc..Like a gunshot in the car..It struck the tree I was parked under, and the branch hit the car..But the thing I remember most is the smell of ozone..Like an electrical burning smell..I had to go change uniforms..
Old 06-19-2003, 02:13 PM

[quote author=FMF MX link=board=10;threadid=16052;start=30#151184 date=1056048689]<br>I had to go change uniforms..<br>[/quote]<br><br>
Old 06-19-2003, 04:55 PM

Another story along the same lines.<br>We were on a WestPac and sonar had reported storms with heavy rain topside. Mr. P (a mustang) had the conn and since it was &quot;that&quot; time, headed up to periscope depth to receive comms and take a look see. The number one scope was extended, and about halfway around the sweep, there was this WHACK!!!!!!!!, just like the other day. When we went back down to patrol depth, the lights went back to white and low and behold, Mr. P had the prettiest set of raccoon eyes you've ever seen. Lightning had hit the 'scope and the vibration had blacked his eyes. He didn't get shocked.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:13 PM

A couple years ago a guy I work with had to take his dog out to do its thing about 3 oclock in the morning just as a thunder storm was going over. While standing against the tree in front of his house a bolt of lightening struck it. He was dead but thanks to his wife who had been a nurse and the Paramedics they brought him back. He sufferers from some nerve damage but recovered fairly well. Lucky Stiff.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:24 PM

It was good his wife was a nurse. HOWEVER, what about the dog that had his leg hiked? ??? ??? ??? ???

Quick Reply: What NOT to be doing when lightning hits close....